Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Argosy Dump Valves or something else??

Just got back from camping but on the way out to empty any sewage my husband removed the piece to hook the sewage hose and everything starting pouring out before we had time to attach the sewage hose. The toilet does not leak and there are no other signs of leaks. Does this mean I need to replace the valves or perhaps something else??
Denise M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sounds like the drain valve is leaking. If they are originals, they can be rebuilt, or you can still get new ones. If they are originals, they would be Thetford valves, they were OEM for both Airstream and Holiday Rambler wastewater systems of that vintage.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Will this be expensive? I have already spent so much on this trailer.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Camping World sells the rebuild kits for less than $50.
On our trailer, it turned out there was a small amount of toilet paper holding the valve partly open, and caused the pipe to fill. You may have the same problem, try cleaning the sealing surface if you can get to it, before ripping it all apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise M.
Will this be expensive? I have already spent so much on this trailer.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
I am new to this what is the sealing surface? If I buy the rebuild kit is it easy to do or would I need to take it back to the RV place to have them do it.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise M.
I am new to this what is the sealing surface? If I buy the rebuild kit is it easy to do or would I need to take it back to the RV place to have them do it.
Being new isn't the end of the world, we all had to start somewhere. If you are mechanically inclined, and have some tools, you could probably do the work yourself. It would involve removing the attaching clamps (large hose clamps), and working the valve out of the area it is in. you will need to drill out the rivets holding the valvr together, so you would need a drill and some bits, and a rivet gun and rivets to put it back together. Thetford does provide instructions with an exploded diagram to help you, it isn't just a bag o' parts.
The sealing surface is a rubber seal around where the blade for the valve rests against. Sometimes a blob of toilet paper or organic debris gets stuck there, and the valve won't close all the way. cleaning out the groove where the blqde seals will usually remove the detritus from the seal area. You can try the cleaning idea first, the worst that could happen is your valve will still leak. And at best, you just repired your own dump valve, and being able to do it yourself is a good thing.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Try filling and flushing the tank with clear water. Then put more water in and see if you get a dribble out of the dump pipe with the valve "closed". Be sure the valve is closing and not hanging up before it's closed. I have seen the rod on one of these valves wear a groove that hung up on the frame before the valve closed. Usually the valve will close with a 'thunk' when it is operating correctly. If the valve appears to be closed and you still get a dribble from the outlet, the valve is leaking and needs attention. Repairing or replacing a valve is not rocket science, just take your time and read the instructions.