Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #29
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Why does everything always have to be a scam? Why does everyone have to be up to no good?
I think that enough folks have either been burned or seen deals on trailers go bad to be leery of any new and organized venture like this - especially when it seems to point fingers and use scare tactics.

I know that over the years here at AIR we have seen more than our far share of squabbles between those in the resale biz and so I think that it's only natural to ask questions about this latest one.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree with Frank during his reflective moment that we shouldn't assume the worst all the time (and thanks Frank for your message a couple of weeks ago).

And I agree with Rodney that bad mouthing others and using fear tactics is a poor way to sell something. We had our chimney swept by a new guy last week who proceeded to bad mouth the guy who did it last year. Last year's guy quit the business. Maybe I'll look for someone else next year even though Mr. Bad Mouth did an excellent job.

Rarely am I so agreeable, so I'd better quit while I'm ahead.

Gene

Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #31
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Has anyone heard of this Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
Is it for real or a buyer market scam kinda thing..just asking... www.vintageairstreamcollectorsclub.com
Dear Rollerboy, you should be in marketing!
By now you have singlehandedly driven close to 1000 visits the “The Club”

Can I ask you a favor?

Could you please start a new thread titled:

“Has anyone heard of this Airstream Artist ?”
http://www.CampStreamUSA.com

Just asking
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
MobileMe' + userLang;
In reading the source code, I came across this info.
Not to say it's bad or good, just that it's there..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #33
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
What info?
I just get a log-in member page.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #34
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
MobileMe' + userLang;
In reading the source code, I came across this info.
Not to say it's bad or good, just that it's there..
Ummm well that clears it up for me.......................

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
The "user's" name is LANG..
Just another piece of info.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Hi Frank,
I was quite sure from looking at their website that this was not legitimate but if I had heard about this from someone I know first, as you did, I would probably have a very different opinion of it all. In any case, I don't feel that there is anger about this group so much as anxiety about possibly another scam involving Airstreams. And really, if this is a professional venture it should present itself as such in the way it does business. See my last post if you haven't already.
I take your word for it if you say you know they are legitimate.

Thanks, Rich the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Why does everything always have to be a scam? Why does everyone have to be up to no good? Not sure I understand the anger I read in this thread. Why are "we" always right and "they" are always wrong? Not really looking for an answer, just feeling reflective today. Must be the holidays that has me feeling this way.

I have told you all I know and wish I had said nothing. I did not even know this thread was going on until a friend called me on the phone to let me know I was asked the question.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #37
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Frankk,

Out of curiosity - who contacted you to join? Is it a member of AIR?

I look at this and I think "dismantaler" or refurbisher. Nobody collects old airstreams just to look at them, a large number like this is likely a commercial venture to refurbish these units and resell them or part them out. I mean, I have 3 of them and it is all I can manage to keep up with the maintenance.

Either way, it just doesn't look like a club to collect trailers in an advanced state of disrepair just to enjoy and hold them.

There is nothing wrong with that per se. But not sure why the membership by invite only scenario... We are all collectors of Airstreams and many of us - Vintage units.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #38
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Tim, The invite came from one of my clients. I am going to just leave it at that, for some people are freaked out about their identities being known to the public. You know when you photograph a trailer and the license plate shows. Some say "now the criminals can trace my tag and see I am not home". Mean while they never think of all the people they are passing on the road. If you look at it objectively, you will see it for what it is. It is a way to find sellers. They might just be passing them on or they might be holding on. It is like the Impko water decals I collect, when a better quality one comes along, I sell the lesser quality one and hold the better one. Does Jay Leno need another classic car? Hell no, but he is at all the major auctions looking. He is even sometimes buying. Does Vince at the Auburn Trailer Collection need another 1939 clipper? No, he has two. But, if another was found, bet he would try and snap it up. Or how about The Wallace Collection? Does he need another Pace Aerocar? Well, no, but probably yes. How about the MOMA? Do they need another Picasso? Well, honestly, yes they do. I feel you can never have enough Picassos in any collection. Do you see where I am going with this?
Please do note that because I mentioned Vince at the Auburn and Mr. Wallace by name does not imply they are behind that collectors club. I only used them as examples because I had them book marked. I wish they were my clients that is for sure.
Am I part of this Collectors club? NO I AM NOT. I also do not intend to join, for I really like kid touchers(a joke, I could go on and on about kid touchers and what we should do with them but that is another thread) Seriously, I just do not feel that is the approach for me to find trailers. I am always looking for ones to buy. I am always dreaming of finding that 1948 Trailwind for myself or yet another 1954 Safari to offer for free through my site. I just take a different tact to find them.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've been to many classic car museums over the years and many started with rich individuals who bought and restored (or more likely, had someone restore) scores of cars. For example, John Hendricks, the guy who started the Discovery Channel and then more cable channels and got rich doing that, amassed a collection. Now it's on display in Gateway, Colo., a very small town south of Grand Junction. He also built a hotel, restaurant and is selling lots for development. Now he's making some money on the collection, though he'll never make what he spent. But he's also using it to attract people to his other business interests. Other collectors die and their collections become museums someday, or they sell the collection to an already existing museum.

The point is some people collect things—hummels, cars, Airstreams, or like the Collier Brothers, everything. Sometimes it gets out of hand, sometimes it's a minor neurosis. Some people are secretive about their money and possessions. If you have several people who have the same interests and approach to their possessions, you end up with a club in the shadows. Since people are not good about keeping secrets, more information will probably surface over time.

Gene
Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #40
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Aluminum Scrap Dealers!!!

This looks like aluminum scrap dealers to me. Folks trying to cash in on owners of vintage airstreams that would never sell them for scrap but who would love to know that their much loved but aging Airstream has been bought by someone who will lovingly restore the graceful old gal.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #41
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think you are, well no, you are actually very wrong. I think it is more like collectors trying to buy on the cheap. The scrap value of an airstream is not anything close to what you might want to believe.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote