Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #21
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Maybe some lefse in someone's future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from Ga. . . Sir Splitrock mentioned welding in school as part of keeping the farm going-------so how bout friendlying (is that a word) up with local high school shop/welding teacher and offer them some practice for the kids, with teacher supervision of course. maybe you throw in lunch or make a contribution to the school. Just an idea that might not be SO spendy., Regards,Craig
That could actually work! The welding instructor is someone I work with so I could try to win him over with some lefse and the promise not to bring him any lutefisk. (If you don't know what lutefisk is, don't ask...)

I think he would be willing to help us but I hate to ask anyone to do something if he would feel obligated to help because he knows us. He is a really nice guy and I want to keep our relationship good....not to mix business with pleasure sort of thing. Of course, if we get desperate....who knows what I would be willing to do to get the frame done!

I am going to warn my better half about the welding dangers...hopefully he won't have any jackets catch on fire or such. The good news is the shingles were delivered today and we might get to 30 above this weekend. Yippee!! Husband wants to be up on the roof putting shingles up all weekend. Good news is I have class on Saturday but Sunday will bring both of us up on the roof. Watch the news to see the headlines "Bismarck Crazy Couple Plunge 30 feet Into Snow and Survive!" (Hopefully we survive once we fall into 6 feet of snow.)
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
What about the kringle? I for one think lutefisk is yummy. Uffda! I've been welding on my frame for about six days now. I've only had a few flame ups of the grass! I have a few shirts and one pair of jeans that have many many holes in them now. It is a lot of cutting and grinding. The cutting and grinding is what is the worst. The welding it all together is the cool fun part! Welding is not that difficult. It just takes patience and practice. You can do it!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Buy your husband some 100% cotton coveralls to weld in. Anything with polyester gets sticky when it gets hot and melts to your hide. Cotton is the best thing to wear under your leathers.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #24
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Can do kringle...for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
What about the kringle? I for one think lutefisk is yummy. Uffda! I've been welding on my frame for about six days now. I've only had a few flame ups of the grass! I have a few shirts and one pair of jeans that have many many holes in them now. It is a lot of cutting and grinding. The cutting and grinding is what is the worst. The welding it all together is the cool fun part! Welding is not that difficult. It just takes patience and practice. You can do it!
Can do kringle....no sweat. The only way I do lutefisk is one time per year and air out the house for a week afterwords. Luckily enough people up here still eat it so no one suspects you have a rotting carcass laying around somewhere. Phew!!

The welding part is the issue for us right now but we are going to forge ahead. I would love to be able to see anything that looked like grass around our place at this point. I think we still have grass under the snow and hopefully we will get to see it again about May.

Thanks for the encouragement on the welding....I will keep everyone informed as my better half gets to practicing on welding. I will keep an eye on him and throw water on him if I see him run by the window on fire. I think I might check his life insurance policy before he begins, just in case.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #25
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Just splurged on new Carharts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Buy your husband some 100% cotton coveralls to weld in. Anything with polyester gets sticky when it gets hot and melts to your hide. Cotton is the best thing to wear under your leathers.

Cheers, Dan
I just bought my second pair of Carharts for myself to help on building on the rookery this winter and thought I was living large; I might have to continue on the splurge and get him some heavy coveralls for welding. There seem to be so much to figure out and determine going into a new endeavor. It helps a lot when so many people give us good advice and are willing to entertain beginner questions.

I am seeing this is going to get interesting. One step at a time and I am thinking retirement keeps moving further away with the expenses but boy, it is fun!! Aluminum is addicting and I can hardly wait to get it ready to take out on the road. Might be awhile though....
Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #26
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Folks, we have a winner here!

We have just won the welding lottery with my better, much better half completing his full introductory welding course last night. I came downstairs this am and found a fully welded up 4' rose to put up in my garden this spring with a tealight in the top. The instructor had made it for me as a surprise. It is great and my husband said "No way can I make something like that."

The instructor said he would be willing to help us get it put together so we might take him up on that. He is a really nice guy and doesn't get upset when I ask him questions every time I see him. He is an excellent welder and I know he wouldn't steer us wrong. I feel like I have won the lottery here and I didn't even have to buy a ticket.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #27
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Wow! That is great! Good job to the better half! Can't wait to see some progress soon!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #28
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
First pictures and progress to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Wow! That is great! Good job to the better half! Can't wait to see some progress soon!
As soon as we make any progress on anything, we are going to be posting some pictures. It has been so long since we actually physically touched the Albatross that I am afraid it might take to wing and fly away if we try to approach.

There is another winter storm on tap for Monday so it looks like spring continues to be weeks away from actually appearing. I just keep living vicariously through all the progress other people are making on their AS.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #29
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Rookery work continues

Here is some of the latest progress on the Rookery. Still no progress on the Albatross but we are hoping to move in that direction in another month or so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter February March 2011 049.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	128129

Name:	Winter February March 2011 057.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	633.1 KB
ID:	128130

Name:	Winter February March 2011 056.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	128131
Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #30
x

XXXX , XXXX
Sandy you better be careful. The rookery is looking so good the albatross may never want to leave it. LOL.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #31
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks....it is coming along

Thanks Chris,
The Rookery is coming along and tonight we got the circle window up on the second floor. My better half is anxious to get the frame started on the Albatross. He has his welding machine, finished the welding class, and wants to get started on the repairs.

We are watching everyone else's progress on their Airstreams and it feels like we are going nowhere. I keep telling myself, all in good time, all in good time. We still have snow in our tree rows and temps have been cool. This weekend was the best weather we have had so far and we got a lot done on the building. I hope the AS work goes faster than this building has. Our goal is to be camping by the summer of 2012 and I think we will make it as long as things go according to plan. Stay tuned.....
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
That's gonna be a first class addition. I'm impressed!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #33
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks...I will pass that on to my better half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
That's gonna be a first class addition. I'm impressed!

I must say thanks for that compliment and that it has nothing to do with me. I am only chief assistant, tool fetcher, ladder holder, picture taker, and errand runner. He has the brains of the operation and I just do what I can to help. My better half has great building skills and now he wants to have some welding skills on an Airstream. Amazing what a person can attempt if you don't know any better. The adventure continues.....
Sandy
Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #34
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Another career that I can cross off my list

We spent the day insulating the second floor of the Rookery. Had to run to town and get a new hammer stapler as the old one had had enough. Got a good share of it done and then I remembered why I didn't choose to be an insulation installer for a living. Uffda....itchy, scratchy and messy. That is the good thing with being a Norwegian....by the time I remember I don't like doing something, it is too late.

The older I get, the more I think "Can't I just pay someone to do this?" Unfortunately, the money runs out before the ideas and projects do.
Sandy
Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
They make an air stapler that shoots those Arrow type wide crown staples. Menards has them here. I got one to use for some upholstery I did last year. They work good.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #36
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Oh....I think I looked at that one and didn't know if it was good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
They make an air stapler that shoots those Arrow type wide crown staples. Menards has them here. I got one to use for some upholstery I did last year. They work good.
I think I saw that one at Menards and I wasn't sure if it would work well or not so I went with the Duofast. We had another one from a woodworking store for a long time and I think its time has come. My arm and shoulder can't take all this swinging...like when I was a whole lot younger. If this one takes up too much effort, I will head back to Menards and pick it up.
Thanks for the tip.
Sandy
Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #37
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Slow progress on the Rookery

We are making slow progress on the Rookery. Sorry for the sideways picture. That shows the entrance into the Rookery from the west. There is going to be a sidewalk of sorts put in when we get to it.

It has been a cool and wet spring with flooding on the south side of town. My better half is anxious to order his steel and get to welding on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spring 2011 079.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	131101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring 2011 078.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	131102  

Name:	Spring 2011 065.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	131103  
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #38
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
That will be so nice when complete. Is that a rust stained floor? Looks marvelous!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Are you making an apartment out of the attic? It's gonna be a first class space.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #40
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More ideas than good sense and money

We are still debating what is going to happen in that space. I have a horrible addiction to sewing, jewelry making, stained glass, scrapbooking, and other silliness so I want the space for me. Better half says he wants to store lumber for his boats up there. We will see who wins this one; put your money on me if you are a betting man. Everyone knows if your wife is happy, everyone is happy right?

I want to find a sheetrocker to do the upstairs so I can paint this summer and move in by fall. I figure if I get all moved in, what could he say?

Actually all of our drive this summer will be to try to get the Albatross ready to lower back on to the new frame (I am hoping there is a new frame by the end of summer!!) and into the Rookery for some serious rebuilding. We are both itching to get going on the project that has been a lot of hurry up and wait up until now.

Daughter #3 went camping at Itasca this weekend and wanted us to come along. Unfortunately it was either tent it or nothing. Next time this year, we hope to be planning our first trip out. I am nothing if not optimistic!