Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #81
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Since this is my first and only shell off I can only comment on my experience. What I had to do was shift the interior with floor jacks and wheel dollys till I got an alignment that worked. Next I had to jack the front and back of the trailer til the floor was level. What I found is that each rib had to be adjusted a bit to get into alignment. I used "L" brackets made from aluminum channel bolted to the rib and thru the subfloor. I had some ribs that didn't want to touch the sub floor. Did you already remove the internal cross bracing? That will come in handy for tweaking the position of the skin. Once you get things lining up putting the clecos in things start to line up so don't stress the hard part is over.
Here is a picture of what can happen by trying to manhandle aluminum into place. Luckily I had to replace the corners anyway so I got some valuable fabricating and riveting practice in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA090858.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	187742   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2090795.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	187743  

Name:	P2090794.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	187744  
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Parkersburg , West Virginia
Wowsers! That's pretty wild. The hard part is definitely over, but I need to tow it to storage by next weekend so i need to the skin to where i can rivet it in place and tow it.

I think my plan is to drill out the rivets where the "trouble corner" piece meets the middle panel under the rear window. Then hopefully i can make up for the slack in the corner by massaging the corner piece about an inch further behind that middle panel...if that makes sense.
GreyMattr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #83
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
You really should try to re align the skin as "massaging" .032 2024 Alclad can prove challenging to say the least. Did you replace all of the "u" channel? if so that is a bit of drilling for you. I would make sure the floor/frame is jacked level before you do any drilling. also I would work from the center front of the trailer to the middle of the wheel wells on the front half and center back towards the center wheel wells. See if that doesn't help to correct the slack. I know its hard to picture just go stair at it for a while like I do.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Parkersburg , West Virginia
The shell is fully on!

Using industrial ratchet straps and some ingenuity we got the skin where it needed to be.

It took a full day of buck riveting to fasten it down.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130628_175031.png
Views:	187
Size:	733.4 KB
ID:	189555

Now time to cipher on some insulation...
GreyMattr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
...and then I threw in the towel.

Or do we have updates after three years since your last post, what's happened?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
You should be a mystery writer...

You've built up the audience tension, threw in a near failure, overcame that barrier, and then......and then......what? what happens next? Is it a go? Is the insulation, wiring, etc progressing? I can't stand the suspense!

I hope all is coming along without drama. I wish you much success.

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign