Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #21
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Real world results

not to bump this thread, but...

I bought the PressurePro (PP) monitors early this year. We travel from Houston into Colorado every year, and the mountain passes cause a certain amount of stress to my co-pilot (lets just say if there was a brake pedal on the passenger side, she would STAND on it all the way down each pass).

Never one to pass up a cool gadget, especially one that might meet with spousal approval, I bought the PP with four monitors for the trailer only. Anything safety related in the moutains is sure to get a thumbs-up approval!

They were nice to have on the drive from Houston to Steamboat in the spring. Every morning, they confirmed that my pressure was OK, and for each rest-stop, I just checked tire temperature with my nifty Radio Shack infrared thermometer (told you, I love gadgets).

Anyway, during the summer, we store the trailer in Colorado and fly back-n-forth, so we didn't use the monitors. I put them back on the Airstream for the return trip to Houston last week.

We generally make the trip in 3 days, with the last day being a hard push from Amarillo (Palo Duro State Park) to Houston (12-hours on the road).

Starting out that morning, I scanned the pressure monitors, and noticed that one tire was down a few pounds... no problem - I'll just keep an eye on it.

By early afternoon, it was down a few more - just short of setting off the alarm. So I pulled out my nifty truck-size air compressor (another gadget) and filled it back to full pressure.

Two hours later, the PP alarm goes off. Her foot STOMPS on the imaginary passenger-side brake and we both go "What The H*** is THAT?" Then we realize its the PP.

Quick check of the PP panel - pressure is just crossing the alarm threshhold on the troublesome tire, but holding. No panic, but lets get off the road.

We pull into a closed weigh-station a few miles later - everything else seems OK. No bubbles, no cuts, no nails. Fill the tire back up and keep going at a reduced speed. Why continue? WE ARE BEAT! We're only 3 hours from home.

Here's the unsung advantage of the PP - we could keep going knowing that it was monitoring the pressure for us. We didn't feel we had a catastrophic failure pending and we were almost home.

I do feel that without the PP, and because we were pushing hard, we might not have caught the dropping pressure. That could have resulted in a catastrophic failure with all the damage to the Airstream that you read about in this forum - not to mention the inherent danger of any blowout!

We made it home fine. Her main comment: why don't we get monitors for the truck, too!

Postscript: turns out, the tire in question was OK. The stock steel painted wheel had developed a longitudinal crack visible only in the water-immersion test. Andy at Inland RV educated me on what that means (bad axels, in my case) but that's a whole other thread!

Second postscript: knowing what I know now about the failing wheel, I would have changed to the spare. I didn't know wheels could split!!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Nice report, Tin D. I too continue to be impressed by the performance of the PressurePro.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote