Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #1

denver , Colorado
What AS can I pull w/ 06' Chevy1500hd ?

I am in the market for my first AS and do not want to have to upgrade my existing truck. I would frequently be going up 6% grades but am willing to just get by. I'm ok knowing that I'll only be trudging up hills about 1% of my dring time. I don't want to risk overheating the engine though. The specs say I can tow 8400# but I know I'll never try any where near that. BTW the truck has the 5.3 gas with 4.10 trans 4 x 4. I only need to sleep 2, preferably in a queen bed.
Thanks in advance for any input!
kevin
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tow Vehicle

First and foremost get a hold of GM and find out what the Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is (I think I said that right? Any way the information you want is the manufacturers gross weight rating for your truck and trailer).
For instance, there is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or how much the truck its self can weight when fully loaded. Then there is how much the entire rig can weight (truck and trailer) The only time this comes into play is when there is a serious accident and the insurance companies and police check to see if you were overloaded.
The combined weight rating is a good place to start.
Then weight the truck at a certified scale.
Take the combined gross from the manufacturer, subtract the actual weight of the truck and you have how much trailer you can tow and remain "legal".
That is how I ended looking for an eighties 31 foot Excella.
Beginner.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Welcome to the forums Kevin. You are only going to get a Queen bed with a 25' or greater AS. 25' AS GVWR are 7300=7600#. This may be pushing it with your 8400# towing capacity. A 23' AS GVWR is about 6000# and would be more suited to your TV.

Tags