Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Airstream/RV service

Does anyone happen to know if a good service shop for vintage airstreams in Eastern PA or NJ (other then Colonial Airstream in NJ)? I'm just shopping around to find others and do some price comparison for a few repairs?
Kathy
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
o.k. it's early in this thread, I'm the first to respond. Are we talking motorhome or trailer?
My local experience here in SC is that you have to "kiss a lot of frogs" to find the place that understands your needs.
I've lately found the greatest mechanic for my P30 chassis AS in town.
I found him because I asked my local NAPA guys who was the carb guy in town.
Turns out this one man shop is not afraid to crawl under my rig and do what needs to be done.
Hope someone in your area can give you some direction but trial and error is my motto.
BTW I've been through a lot of frogs to find my prince.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I can't comment on any specific dealers or shops, but I can suggest a few things to look for. The first would be an RVIA/RVDA certification. These letters represent the manufacturers and sellers organizations that build and sell RV's. They have joined together and created a minimum set of standards and testing that certified RV techs must attain. If you don't get the grade...you don't get certified. It simply means that the tech has reached a certain knowledge level and knows what they are doing when they look at your problem.

Shop prices vary all over the place, so don't limit yourself to a repair facility. There are a number of excellent mobile RV techs (like me ) who will go to where ever your unit is and do the servicing on site. Rates are usually comparable with a repair shop, but you don't have to spend your time delivering your coach and then retrieving it later. It always helps to discuss the problems during the first contact call so the tech knows what extra materials/tools to bring. They should ask probing questions and if not, perhaps you should keep looking . Good luck!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Lewster,

Mobile RV techs!!?? That's great--what will they think of next? How would I go about finding one in my area?

Kathy
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault
Does anyone happen to know if a good service shop for vintage airstreams in Eastern PA or NJ (other then Colonial Airstream in NJ)? I'm just shopping around to find others and do some price comparison for a few repairs?
Kathy
South Jersey RV is the BEST at fixing Airstreams in the NJ area. see
http://southjerseyrv.com/
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Norwich , New York
kathy, call chevy ave restorations in north norwich ny,we are new to the as restoration business ,but we have 30+years restoring classic chevys under our belts. we are curently working on a 68 sovergin international and are looking for more work. 607- 334- 4253.
stanton66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Kathy -

Mellott Bros. RV in Willow Street, PA (Close to Lancaster) does good repair work from what I can tell, although they are not an Airstream dealer, and do not specialize in vintage Airstream repairs. Whether they would consider doing the type of repair work you want done would be the question.

I took my Airstream trailer to Mellott's last year, after very bad experiences with 2 Airstream dealers, and they did a super job.

In addition, I'm going to the Airstream factory in a couple weeks to get the vinyl floor in my trailer replaced (which is under warranty, and incurring the 2000 mile trip cost out of my own pocket) because I was told that no Airstream dealer is able or willing to do this type of repair job. However, I know that Mellott's does this, and all othe types of RV repairs.

I'm not positive, but I think their hourly service rate is $70.00.

John
Old 03-16-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault
Lewster,

Mobile RV techs!!?? That's great--what will they think of next? How would I go about finding one in my area?

Kathy
Kathy,

I can't tell you the best spot to find a Mobile Tech. I don't advertise. I let the various RV parks and RV 'Resorts' in my area know that I'm here and available, leave cards and brochures at the desk and magically.......the phone starts ringing! You might try the larger RV parks in your area for a referral.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote