Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 1000 > 1993 Excella 1000
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2002, 09:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Water leak

I finally found the water leak that has been bothering me for several years and many attempts to find. It was the gaskets under the sewer vent pipe covers. They were totally gone.
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Yeah. Andy IRV says these gaskets are good for about 5 years. Mine were dust. 35 years old.

How did you fix yours? New OEM gaskets or did you fashion your own?

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 03:30 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
I did both--I made replacement gaskets out of an old inertube that I had laying around the shop and then sealed the whole thing up with vulkem sealer. I also replace the screen wire. After that I ordered OEM gaskets from Inland RV and now have them on had to replace what I made just in case they don't work so good. The home made gaskets seem to be working fine. I also found that the sealant was missing around where the vent pipe went through the metal skin. I had a big leak here. Good luck with yours.
McKesh mirrors
Old 12-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #4

Installing gray water tank

Had leaks in the gray water pipe which rusted out a section of the belly pan. Removerd the pan and see there are no rails or bands holding up the tanks, should there be? To make a long story short the gray water tank fell. Now a bigger problem. Question is how do you reconnect the drain lines to trailer without dismantling the shower or bathroom floor?
Dave
Silver Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Dave,

Wow! Sounds like a major problem but I'll bet somebody on the forum has been there and done that. Did you remove the whole belly pan or just cut a section out? I have made some repairs to the tank's outlet piping but did not see how the tanks are supported. If the grey tank has dropped and has pulled away from the top, I think repairs will have to be made and connections accessed from the top. This is just a guess though.
Keep us posted and good luck.
McKesh mirrors
Old 12-08-2003, 04:57 AM   #6

James,

I did remove the belly pan since it was about a third rusted. Got that all repaired and it looks as good as new. I had no idea all that held up the two tanks was the belly pan. Seems to me there should be bands or something to hold the tanks in place. I'm sure I have a major problem getting the gray tank back in place with no leaks. Thanks for the note of encouragement.

Dave
Silver Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Question

Silverstreamer,
I have just purchased a 1995, 28" Classic 1000 in great condition. I now have to purchase a tow vehicle and I see you use an Expedition.

I am torn between purchasing a Ford or Chevy diesel pick up, possibly a 2000, or an auto, such as yours. I feel there would be more storage in the bed of the pick up but I would like the auto incase I had company, such as grandkids, etc.

I am planning on pulling this trailer through Colorado and into Montana.

Can you give me any thoughts on this quandry of mine??

Sue

oops, I goofed. It was not Silver Streamer but another poster. Perhaps he will see this and answer me. Guess the Christmas holidays got me.
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:34 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Hi Sue and welcome to a great forum. I have been using my Expedition since 97 to pull my 29 ft. Excello 1000 and it does great. I would make this choice again. My recommendation to you would be as follows:
Select the towing package with the big engine(5.4 L) and the 3.73 rear end. With this combination I have good performance and good economy too. It gives me about 12 mpg towing and about 16 solo. Big trucks and cross winds were giving me some problems, but that was completely solved with the Hensley Hitch. The prodigy brake controller completes the package.
I personally like the feel and convenience of the SUV over a pick up. It is easier to park and manuver too-but that is a personal choice.

As an added preventative maintenace decision, I use all synthetic fluids in the engine and transmission. The rear end came with it from the factory
Let me know if I left out anything that you would like to know and good luck-happy travels.
McKesh mirrors
Old 02-02-2004, 06:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
towing...

hi...we just purchased a 29' 1993 Excella, brought it home Saturday. After a great deal of cleaning it is beginning to come back to life. We are now towing it with a Explorer 3.73 wheel base, 4.0 engine. Did not have any trouble getting home but it is only a 3 hr. drive. I am trying to convince my husband that it is too light for the trailer and we should go to an Expedition, but it looks like it won't be until the end of the year. It does have Reese cams and does not sway at all. Our truck is sso much higher than the previous owners, we have to get an extension to add to the hitch to bring it down far enough to level out the trailer. We are presently about 3" too high, so the backend of the trailer is a bit low. Is there a way to add on to the hitch to bring it down some. Does anyone know.
We can't wait to go to our first Rally..It has to be in the East, South East though for now. Any good ones
Old 02-02-2004, 06:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
If you have and adjustable hitch head your problem is easily solved by dropping the ball mount the 3 inches you need. This would be what I'd recommend. A bar extension with a drop in it just adds more length to the rig and another possible source of problems. An adjustable hitch head can be purchased to replace a non adjustable one and would not be all that expensive.

Did you have a lot of work to do on the trailer?

James
McKesh mirrors
Old 02-02-2004, 07:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
hitch

no, the trailer was in good shape just dirty...an older couple had it from new and I think their sight was not so good. We really tore it apart cleaning it. I cleaned all the drapes, they look good now, want to make a queen out of the twins in the br, needs new carpeting and reupholsteer the flip sofa... The coating is pealing on the round parts of the top...not sure how to stop it, fix it or seal it...don't really want to redue it totally..the owner said he had it done once and it cost about $2,000...sure seems silly to have to replace it every few years...there should be a better solution... has 4 solar panels and inverter and electic fans and some kind of extra electric heater...new fridg, new brakes...other stuff...thanks for the help on the hitch, I will relay that to my husband... can't wait for our first trip...
Old 02-02-2004, 07:54 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by tnsue
Silverstreamer,
I have just purchased a 1995, 28" Classic 1000 in great condition. I now have to purchase a tow vehicle and I see you use an Expedition.

I am torn between purchasing a Ford or Chevy diesel pick up, possibly a 2000, or an auto, such as yours. I feel there would be more storage in the bed of the pick up but I would like the auto incase I had company, such as grandkids, etc.

I am planning on pulling this trailer through Colorado and into Montana.
The 1995 is a wide body and is as heavy as the current trailers. I think that you should go with a diesel to pull a trailer of that size through the mountains. I pulled my 5000# International with a 5.3L Silverado with Banks system and it was adequate, but I sure wouldn't like to pull my Classic 25 through the mountains with it.

I think you want a 3/4 ton for any recent 28' Classic Airstream, preferably a diesel. I now have the Duramax/Allison 2500HD for the Classic 25 and it is great in any terrain. 15 mpg towing and around 20 solo. The lack of constant gear shifting and the lack of worry about strain on the power train makes towing a whole lot less stressful. I may run for several hours straight here in Texas and never feel a gear shift.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote