Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightStream View Post
i am not an expert but the skin does seem to be in good condition...
the PO started gutting the trailer and stripping back the floor, from what i can see(the front section) the frame seemssolid but very rusty. I have only just started to research the restoration options, but being a welder i am most amused by another member "Darkspeed"s approach.
i was wondering, is there a FAQ with restoration how tos? i would like to start researching how the shell is attached to the sub floor and frame. also would like to know how everyone is lifting the shells off, secure points to lift from or places that need support?

thanks a bunch in advance!
Lots of info around here on how the entire thing is built. My PO gave me a service manual with the trailer that has exploded views of every single thing in the trailer, amazing.
I weld as well and expect to do some repair to the frame, but it's looking good as the floor comes up for us, hopefully for you as well! We were thinking we would need to do a frame-off restoration, but after looking at other projects and staring at the trailer for hours I'm glad we're going to be able to repair things without it. To replace the floor you'll need to take off the inner skin (looks like a lot is already off). I've been told on here that the inner skin is structural in nature (if I'm wrong on that then forgive me). Once the inner skin is off, the floor (and insulation and wiring and...and...) can be replaced or in your case customized.

Here's a question for the forum as far as power washing the inside:
If the inner skin is off is there a possibility that the sealant between the skin panels may be blown out by power washing from the inside? This might be good I guess if one was going to reseal!

I'm sure there are people with more experience on this, but I have a power washer and would be reluctant to use it on my AS as the aluminum is pretty soft. Maybe on the widest / least pressure setting, but I personally wouldn't do it.

Tons of great info on here and everyone is very helpful.
Cheers
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
one more thing before i force myself to sign off, is there a way i could track the history of this trailer? it has kentucky plates and i am curious...

ok two more things.. haha

is there an original floor plan schematic available for this model some where out there?

its good to be here!
You may want to buy the 1972 Airstream Owners/maintenance Manual, off of Ebay... money well spent, I must say...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0172.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	142524

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We are finding that we're glad we saved the metal edges that hold the wall panels in place. We are re-using them to hold the new walls in place. We didn't save much but the sink is in excellent shape, and I saved the outlet covers because I liked their design, and Chris saved the boxes themselves since they're shallow. Glad we did that now since those boxes still work well and the covers fit well on those wider boxes. Hard to find covers for those boxes in the "modern" world. My advice would be to take lots of pictures of things as you take them apart. We did not and I have regretted that more than once when I'm trying to remember how something looked before. We are doing a new design although the bathroom is probably the room that will look the most different since we moved almost all the fixtures to new locations except the toilet and water heater. Good luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
hudson valley , New York
right now i am just anxious about the tow, not liking the idea of pulling the unknown.
TightStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightStream
right now i am just anxious about the tow, not liking the idea of pulling the unknown.
DUCKTAPE! Windows, door, hatches, anything that can and will fall off.

Double-check the door is fully latched

Vents closed, antenna down, gas off

I would disconnect the battery if present

Grease bearings.

I went over and under with straps to hold in the falling black tank and loose belly pan

Good luck and extra ductape!
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
floorplan is on the as site. get on, got to specs, and find your yr.
NOLA Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
hudson valley , New York
tomorrow is the day unless something catastrophic happens... more pictures to come.
worst fears:
1. DOT ticket
2. septic tank falls off and hits chase car.
3. friends helping me have me committed upon seeing my latest purchase.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #28
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
I hope you bug bombed, mine brought a plague of fleas from the animal nests in the belly pan. Rats were like... Road trip!!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
hudson valley , New York
Ok so after completing some pre tow safety checks ( kicked tires twice) we managed to shoe horn the ol gal out of the woods and on to the road. maybe not a glorious return to the road, but a return none the less. once on the road it actually towed very nicely and with my chase car hugging her rear we made the trip without a hitch. trip one was to my shop where a couple friends and i stripped and trashed alot of the debris from the interior.

quick shot before we departed for her top secret winter resting place.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #30
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
congrads..looks good!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Fire in the water heater at some time? Looks like there's some discoloration up the side of her. Otherwise, a good soak in the whirlpool with some bubbles and she'll be as good as new!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
hudson valley , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Fire in the water heater at some time? Looks like there's some discoloration up the side of her. Otherwise, a good soak in the whirlpool with some bubbles and she'll be as good as new!

Kay
actually, there is a big rust stain on the side of the building, just a reflection in her shiny skin...
Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Expect Her to Look Like This...

Someday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	143135  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #34
The Mouse House

1972 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Someday.
I'd love info on that long driver's side awning you have. My '72 Sovereign has individual awning's over each window (well, one for the two front windows) that are completely rotted and have missing/deteriorated hardware. Is that a Zip-Dee unit?
DL
dxlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Quote:
What have I done?!
I have, for a long time kept an eye out for an AS in need of restoration. So far they have either been to far away or to expensive. Yesterday the craigslist gods decided to tempt me.
Without any sort of real knowledge of what to look for when buying an AS, I feverishly pulled the trigger
enter the 1972 Air stream sovereign
Your first post was October 2011. Wondering how you've faired almost three years later. I am picking up my '72 Sovereign tomorrow for about $2500. She needs a total rehab. Was it worth it? How much has it cost you? Any pictures to share. I don't know where to start but I am so excited.
Swahealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Don't we wish but it is a great goal to shoot for
Cliff

Tags
sovereign