Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #1

1964 19' Globetrotter
Shasta Lake , California
How do I install "city" or "shore" water

Hello, I'm installing all new plumbing in my '64 Globetrotter, and am a brand new first timer. I read a recent helpful thread where someone posted that you can hook up water pressure from an outside line like at your house. What are the parts I need and what are they called so I know what to ask for? And where is this water-in installed in the line? Does water-in go between the water heater and the on demand pump?

And, while I'm at it, where does the freeze drain for the system go?
Thanks!

Jeff
jefffremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Nothing very fancy is required. Basically, you need a female hose connection hard-mounted somewhere on the outside of the trailer. Have a look at Vintage Trailer Supply's website, and you should see a couple options. From there, you just run a pex/copper pipe into the trailer, and strategically connect it into your cold water line upstream of the water heater. The check valve in your water pump should keep you from filling/pressurizing your fresh water tank. The original designs typically had a water pressure regulator built into the system, but lots of folks install a portable one right on the "shore water" faucet so that they can protect their hose as well as their system.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Here's a basic diagram.

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The city water connection does not have to be "upstream" from the water heater. Not sure what " upstream" means.
It just needs to be connected to the cold water line in the coach. Somewhere "downstream" from the water pump.
When I completely re plumbed our coach. I chose not to install any drains.
After all. Where exactly is the low point? Can you always store your coach so that the so called "low point" is really the low point?
Just blow the lines out. And pump in RV anti freeze. Be sure to bypass the water heater and drain it when winterizing.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Nice drawing Gnorts!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Ya got me--I was thinking too linearly--turns out water flows both ways. Speaking of which, I also failed to mention the one-way valve shown in the above diagram which keeps water from your fresh water tank from being pumped out your shore water port when not connected to shore water. I suppose you could cap it instead of putting a one way valve in there, but you could also do both.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
While my '69 came from the factory with a city water inlet, I installed a bypass valve around the water pump check valve to allow filling the water tank while connected to city water. Works out great since I usually hook up water at home to check all of the systems and fill up the hot water tank. Filling the tank is now a simple matter of cracking open a valve underneath the couch cushions and letting it run until water starts pouring from the outside filler neck.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
While my '69 came from the factory with a city water inlet, I installed a bypass valve around the water pump check valve to allow filling the water tank while connected to city water. Works out great since I usually hook up water at home to check all of the systems and fill up the hot water tank. Filling the tank is now a simple matter of cracking open a valve underneath the couch cushions and letting it run until water starts pouring from the outside filler neck.
Neat idea. But you do need that original gravity feed to let air and pressure escape right?

I'm plumbing from scratch so I'm tweaking my plans. Super simple. No hot water. No shower. Just a sink. It's a wee little trailer and I can boil a pot of water pretty fast or take a solar shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing.png
Views:	746
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	215434  
bass-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
The original filler neck serves as a vent and overflow when filling with the bypass. Plus it gives me the option to fill it the traditional way.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Jeff,

I was were you are when I started my years long re-think of what an Airstream could be: I knew next to nothing about plumbing, especially RV pluming.

Name:	galley 1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	215458

Faceless friends here on the Forum taught me how to build a very good system.

You can follow the whole coaching process here. See post # 55 for photos of the plumbing system completed:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...s-26471-4.html

GNORTS’ diagram will be very helpful. I’m not sure if he is indicating a by-pass at the hot water tank or a slick way to fill your holding tank from the inside, instead of from outside, like Journalist did.

You should have a hot water heater bypass ( that way you don’t have to waste 6 gallons of antifreeze every time you winterize), an inside fill for your holding tank PLUS a valve set up that allows you to use the water pump to winterize your water lines.

I have all three advantages. ‘Hope the information here helps you.

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	215459