Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Frozen water pump and toilet valve....

Hello all,

Normally I do the winterizing myself. The was trailer in for service and due to time constraints, I paid the service center to do it. Or should I say, paid them to not do it.

The pump housing is cracked, the strainer basket busted and the toilet valve was a victim as well. I discovered all of this Saturday after getting the trailer out of storage.

I am contacting the service center today to see if they will do the right thing.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that might have been damaged by freezing.

I'm thinking that after replacing the pump and toilet valve, and pressure testing, if it checks out, I should be good to go....

Anything else I should be checking?

Thanks in advance,

Blair
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
By service center do you mean the factory center or a dealer? Hope you get it fixed..
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
That certainly is aggravating. Hopefully they'll do the right thing.

After replacing those components be sure to fill the fresh water tank (sounds like you've done that), turn on the pump and make sure it holds pressure for a reasonable amount of time. If the pump cycles periodically, even if you don't see water leaks, it might mean there are other fittings cracked.

If the pump cycles and you think there might be leaks I guess you'd eventually see drips of water from the belly pan.

Hopefully you're on the road soon without much more delay and aggravation.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
By service center do you mean the factory center or a dealer? Hope you get it fixed..
Jackson Center. I called this morning and left a message. From what I have seen and heard about JC, and the service, they are usually very good. The other work we had done there at the time was great. I'm thinking that this is a "stuff happens" moment. I'm hoping they make it right.

I have already installed a new pump, going to get a toilet valve today.

Thanks...
Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
That certainly is aggravating. Hopefully they'll do the right thing.

After replacing those components be sure to fill the fresh water tank (sounds like you've done that), turn on the pump and make sure it holds pressure for a reasonable amount of time. If the pump cycles periodically, even if you don't see water leaks, it might mean there are other fittings cracked.

If the pump cycles and you think there might be leaks I guess you'd eventually see drips of water from the belly pan.

Hopefully you're on the road soon without much more delay and aggravation.
The other fittings cracked is what scares me....

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Check that hot water tank !
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Faucets may also have cracked cartridges, which will cause constant drips when under pressure. Good luck.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Blair, just curious since it was JC who did the job, did they use antifreeze? I know my dealer doesn't but he uses high pressure and opens all valves in the trailer while the pressure is being applied. He continues to apply that pressure for 30 minutes and guarantee's that the lines are dry. I know he props the toilet open during that half hour blow out.

For those who use air only, I have always wondered though how they addressed the pump since i don't understand the inner workings of the pump and how air pressure in the city water hookup can get all the water out of the pump assembly. The filter for sure has to be removed and emptied since city water never connects through it. And I would think some air has to be blown through that side of the pump assembly to remove any residual there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Besides the above items, be sure and check the city water inlet. If it has frozen, it will have some tell tale water drips below its location.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Jackson Center. I called this morning and left a message. From what I have seen and heard about JC, and the service, they are usually very good. The other work we had done there at the time was great. I'm thinking that this is a "stuff happens" moment. I'm hoping they make it right.

I have already installed a new pump, going to get a toilet valve today.

Thanks...

Sorry to hear. Their service is usually top notch in my experience. Was there any pink AF to be found either in the pump, toilet valve, or any leaks coming through the belly pan? Did you check your water heater? Was the drain plug pulled?

Ugh. Sounds like a mess. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Did anyone use the toilet and sink afyer it was winterized? Hope you get everything fixed.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Blair, just curious since it was JC who did the job, did they use antifreeze? I know my dealer doesn't but he uses high pressure and opens all valves in the trailer while the pressure is being applied. He continues to apply that pressure for 30 minutes and guarantee's that the lines are dry. I know he props the toilet open during that half hour blow out.

For those who use air only, I have always wondered though how they addressed the pump since i don't understand the inner workings of the pump and how air pressure in the city water hookup can get all the water out of the pump assembly. The filter for sure has to be removed and emptied since city water never connects through it. And I would think some air has to be blown through that side of the pump assembly to remove any residual there.

Jack
Jack,

I also blow the lines for 30min at a constant 35psi....open longest first and rotate down to the short. I switch the pump on/off while blowing, not sure it does much but it's never frozen.

Also made a fitting for the hot water tank.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1169.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	306680   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1136.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	306681  

Old 03-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Thumbs up Update......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post

Jack
Jack,

They only blew out the lines, no antifreeze in the pump/strainer or in the toilet valve. There was antifreeze in the drain traps.

If you have air pressure to the city water side of the system, there is no way for it to purge the pump of water. The pump assembly prevents back flow through the pump. If it didn't prevent the back flow, when you connected to city water, the water would flow backwards through the pump into the freshwater tank...that doesn't happen, so no air is going to get through.

According to the Airstream manual, drain the water tank, remove outlet hose from the water pump, then disconnect the the water pump inlet connection and turn on the pump until all water is expelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Besides the above items, be sure and check the city water inlet. If it has frozen, it will have some tell tale water drips below its location.
guskmg
Thanks guskmg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Did anyone use the toilet and sink afyer it was winterized? Hope you get everything fixed.
xrvr

No, it was taken directly to storage after picking it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Sorry to hear. Their service is usually top notch in my experience. Was there any pink AF to be found either in the pump, toilet valve, or any leaks coming through the belly pan? Did you check your water heater? Was the drain plug pulled?

Ugh. Sounds like a mess. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac,

I agree about the service usually being top tier, not sure what happened this time. Probably the "Blair" effect.

The drain plug on the water heater was not pulled, but the heater seems to be intact. I have had the system under air pressure for several hours now and have not noticed a drop in pressure. Which is very good news.

I did receive good news from the Airstream Service Department, they will cover my cost on the pump and toilet valve, and refund the charge for the winterization. Brad Herring at Airstream was really great.

I mentioned getting reimbursed the Airstream Service Departments' going rate/hr for my labor...

Hey, it was worth a try.....
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Thanks everyone...
Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
RXguy- I always blow out the lines AND drain the pump. I also make sure to blow out the toilet valve the outside shower and the kitchen sink sprayer. Many years, no problems. It’s easy.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post

...snip...

Brad Herring at Airstream was really great.

Indeed! Brad was my service lead for my last 2 visits there. I had an emergency exit door installed on my 27FB (there's a thread here somewhere) and despite a long water test at the factory, in real world circumstances on the road a few weeks later in a torrential downpour, we learned the door leaked. I emailed Brad. He was bummed out. He told me they'd repair it as a warranty item - even thou it would be a year and a half before I could get back there. They repaired it perfectly. He told me I should get exactly what I paid for and he wanted to be sure I was happy. He meant it. Really good guy. Glad you're getting good resolution!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Water pump can be purged by disconnecting the inlet fitting and running it to pull air to flush out the water. Disconnecting the inlet hose also lets the line and filter drain back onto the tank.
I have a 3 way valve on my pump inlet and I just open the by pass to run air through the pump if I have used air to blow the lines. Never have had any trouble with the suction line from the the tank despite not draining it
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #18

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
NORMANDY PARK , WA
2016 Interstate Water Pump freeze and replacement advice needed

We are a one year owner of this 2016 Interstate EXT. This is our first post. We wish it was under different circumstances. The collective knowledge of this formidable forum is greatly appreciated as we want to avoid situations like this in the future.

After three months in warm Southern CA we headed home and stopped in Gunnison, CO to see our children. We knew from the weather forecast to expect sub freezing temperatures and winterized by adding RV grade (pink) anti freeze to both Grey and Black tanks and drains. They appear to be fine.

We had electric hookups and kept tank heaters on throughout the time where sub freeze conditions persisted.

Upon getting home we had no water pressure to sink or toilet and headed in for diagnostic at Airstream NW. The diagnosis was a frozen water pump and frozen exterior shower. Both have been replaced..Ouch$$.

Apparently, the mistake was not properly blowing the fresh water lines and pump clear. Advice On this procedure is appreciated.

Our question: Is there a recommended air compressor that is small and can be carried as part of "essential gear" when traveling in cold weather zones? Any other advice on winterizing while in transit is greatly appreciated.

The Weisrider's
Theweisrider is offline   Reply With Quote