Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
My suggestion earlier is no different tan the combined tanks on some b vans and Bambi's. Same idea, exactly the same thing. So some of you are saying the combined tanks from the factory are unsafe? Jim
Zig, the trailer in question has a black tank that is installed partially above floor level, so the usable capacity when in use as a combined grey/black tank is prohibitively small before sewage backs up into the shower. In contrast the B vans and Bambis where there is a single holding tank have the tank below floor level or (on some SOBs) have a shower pump.

The newer trailers with a single tank have some sort of provision for determining the tank level. In most cases the tanks are sized so that in typical usage the freshwater tank is exhausted before the holding tank overflows.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #16

1969 27' Overlander
San Dimas , California
Thanks Kyle401 that is great information. We are looking for a somewhat temporary scenario for a year or two. We will be relocating the bath situation at some point in the future (We are planing to keep this one for a while!) so we did not want to spend the effort on a grew tank right now. Your solution, if the parts are available, should cover what we are looking for. We will be using the facilities sparingly, so we just need some storage, which the black tank should be able to provide. Do you perhaps know the storage capacity? We will be replacing the toilet this weekend and I was going to attempt to figure it out, but if you have any knowledge it would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Mario and Patti

Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Zig, the trailer in question has a black tank that is installed partially above floor level,
The black tank on the '69 Overlander is completely beneath the floor. The '69 Overlander was offered only in a rear bath configuration with mid twins or a mid double bed configuration. http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...d62ecbae8c.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The newer trailers with a single tank have some sort of provision for determining the tank level.
I'm not sure about all the trim levels, but my International Land Yacht was factory equipped with a black tank level probe.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I thought the tank was below the floor, it was on my old trailer, and think it s on this one. Jim