Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2008, 04:39 AM   #21
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The health care issue is complex. One of the main factors in expense starts right at the consumers doorstep. Of course you will never hear the politicians lay any blame on those who vote.
So, are you fit? Do you eat healthy even when going out? Or did you have that big steak the other night? Are you exercising?
When you have a respiratory infection do you run to the Dr.? Or, wait the recommended 7-10 days first? Hypertension? Have you truly thrown out all the packaged foods in you cupboard that contain sodium?
If you have headaches that by all objective description are normal, do you still want an MRI? Same for backaches, have you been scanned before lots of time and all consevative modalities were tried first?
On a more philosophic note, is it OK to spend 100's of thousands of dollars on an 89 y/o's bypass surgery and subsequent care?
Americans are out of shape, they want the very best of everything, and they want it right now. Further, they are never personally responsible for their plight. Nor, do they ever wish to be financially responsible.
If you want Universal health care get use to the fact that on demand features will change. You will not have a knee scan and then surgery the following week. Cost contol works by screening access and limiting choices.
Then there is the question of who will pay. Does this mean more taxes on the working?? Are retiree's entitled all the way?
The insurance companies often do a lousy job? But, do you really want the people who run the IRS and the Drivers license bureau overseeing it all?

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I don't know that the Canadian system is the answer. Thousands of Canadians go to the US every year and pay for health care. The system here is collapsing and is bassically unsustainable as the population ages. I have paid massive taxes my hole life for health care that I have hardly used. By the time I am old enough to need it it won't be there, I would have been much better off if I could have been paying into a Health Savings Account that I controlled instead of the government system.

Myself and millions of Canadians pay for Critical illness insurance so we can get care in the US if the worst happens. It is so rediculus if I needed an MRI for my child it could take 6-12 weeks to get an appointment. If I need one for my dog, because I have to pay for that I can get it in 24 hours. However I can take my child to the US and have it done in 24 hours.

It looks to me like the problem is not the U.S. medical system it is the expence imposed on it by the legal system.

Andy
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
What's health insurance? Or dental for that matter. Here's an idea!!!!!! What if we,I mean they,(the ones in office) were to ban the brain washing,every 30 seconds,tv commerchals about "talk to your doctor"/we (drug company's) want your money ,so talk your doc into this drug - crap. Guess how much cheaper the prescript drugs could be,if the big drug/big biz,(drug pusher) companys didn't waste millions on these tv ads every few minutes. I really believe the doctor should decide what to give you,like in the old days,without all the "oh,I saw on tv" brain washing the drug companys try their best to get you to do for them! The ads aren't to inform you,only convince you. Guess who is paying for all this tv air time? End of rant........
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
I agree, the Canadian system is not the perfect answer. I pay every month from my pension (as I did when employed) supplemental insurance premiums to cover costs of eye glasses, dental, prescriptions etc. Minimal cost.

However, patients (even with no additional insurance), are never refused medical care at any Hospital in our country. Poor or rich, it's not an issue.

Of course, private rooms vrs. wards is a different story.As is life, unfortunately, those who have etc. etc.

Our Canadian healthcare system may not be perfect, but it is a step in the right direction!
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #25
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
No person is ever refused care at an Emergency room in the United States. It's the law. If your condition warrants hospitalization ( and all that it entails ) from the ER you will also get that.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

First: Don't get sick in America.
Second: Have a basic self insured plan. Enought to get you in and a basic fix in a good ER (ie: accident) about, $25,000.00 per person.
Third: Never stay in a hospital unless you cannot get out. Remember you can negotiate your bill and get a payment plan, many interest free.
Forth: Go home to recover or die.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
First: Don't get sick in America.
Second: Have a basic self insured plan. Enough to get you in and a basic fix in a good ER (IE: accident) about, $25,000.00 per person.
Third: Never stay in a hospital unless you cannot get out. Remember you can negotiate your bill and get a payment plan, many interest free.
Forth: Go home to recover or die.
Tinsel,

Funny but that's our plan . Since I have very minimal coverage out of Province, we stick to within a short distance of the CAN/US border. The wife and friends all have explicit instructions - throw me in the fastest car and dash to the border - once there they'll get an ambulance real quickly. The time waiting at the campsite for an ambulance to show up is likely close to as long as it will take them to get me to the border. We've had one instance where this worked perfectly but I drove myself (oops). Typical not thinking male response - I know my chest hurts like hell dear but it's okay, I can still hook the trailer up and drive..........I won't live that one down for a long time. Even my doctor throws that one at me now and then just to remind me he has a long memory and sometimes I don't make the wisest of decisions.

Skymed has been suggested by some as my other option. Get stabilized which I believe my basic stuff covers, then get flown home. We are researching that to see if it would work given we are in Canada. If we can make that work then we'll be making our faces known at the 4CU and other rallies sooner.

Barry