Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Battery health with 110 volts going full time

This year, with an extension of the back wall of my barn, I've got the Silver Hilton stored indoors and sheltered from Oregon's winter weather. I have 110 volts plugged in all the time, and check my batteries (2) fluid levels frequently.
Is there a better way to maintain batteries over the winter - intermittent charging with 110 volts AC, external charger directly to the battery, or just keep 'em plugged into the A/S electrical system and make sure the batteries aren't thirsty??
Suggestions appreciated!
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
same same!

mark

i do the same thing, left my trailer on line until newyears day.

other than checking the water every other month there isn't much else to do.

i pulled the batteries and put them in the basement for the balance of the winter, and give them a couple of hours on an automotive battery charger once a month.

your (and mine) 1992 has a magnatec univolt in it, not a bad charger. i have never had to add more than a couple of ounces of water to either battery. they do need more water in warmer months.

inside storage is wonderful!

here is a pic of the fleet at rickstream's mine is the one on the right, storage is in exchange for wiring work at rick's place.

got any pics of your trailer?

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleet storage.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	5197  
Old 03-13-2004, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
My Safari is stored indoors too, but I don't think electricity is available in the pole barn. I have removed the battery and keep it at my house. I put it on an automotive charger for a few hours each month. You might consider using a lamp timer to turn the charger on for an hour each day.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
John -

Thanks for your battery info post. I see a lot of parallels - '92 Excella 29' wintering in a pole barn plugged into 110 volts. What a fine trailer! I previously owned a '72 27' Overlander, but the '92 is luxurious. The Silver Hilton namesake is borrowed from a 1930's steelhead fly's name. I do a lot of flyfishing for steelhead in OR, WA, and BC. First photo is 200' inland from the Pacific Ocean last May. Second is in the Hoh River National Park rain forest on the Olympic Peninsula of WA last month (my destination next weekend).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	silver hilton.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	5212  
Old 03-13-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
John -

I've not posted photos here before. Only one of two came thru - here is the missing image, from last May very close to the Ocean.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wa coast trailer.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	5213  
Old 03-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
twins

mark

very nice! i like the lettering on the window. is it etched?

john
Old 03-14-2004, 08:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
Check out the information @ http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/...orial.htm#life
and their home page @
http://www.batterystuff.com

I think the "Smart Charger" is the best solution for long term storage.
wannabefulltime'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #8
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
John -

The Silver Hilton logo and the (accurate) Silver Hilton fly were done by a guy who paints fly patterns on cars/trucks at local flyfishing shows. This one is done on a thin piece of plexiglass that is cut to fit my front window, and rests inside the curtains on passenger side front.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:34 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Mark, good looking trailer. If you don't mind, where do you park it when you go to the Hoh? Is there a campground within the park boundaries? I'm looking forward to heading up there sometime.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:21 PM   #10
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Stephanie -

I've been camping on the Hoh for 9 or 10 years. Intiially, my friends and I had christened this the "Spring camping and near drowning expeience." We had 3.5 inches of rain on our first day there, camping in tents and trying to get a cooking fire going with wet firewood. Now we do it with 2 Airstreams and a Coleman pop-up. It is much more corfortable. We have a 1/3 cord of firewood delivered to camp for the weekend. Evenings are very pleasant.

Just past the bridge crossing the Hoh on 101 is Oxbow campground. 2 sites would (barely) take a trailer. I'd not recommend it. Nearby but downstream (further north on 101 and a few miles to the west) is Cottonwood CG - wide open spaces but muddy and not scenic. On the road to the Hoh Natural Forest (a right turn a few miles North of Oxbow) is Wiloughby CG - these sites are small but I have been there with my 27' Overlander - with difficulty. Further up the road (approx 6 miles from 101) is Minnie Pedersen CG (on the west side of the road, away from the river), my first choice, and my destination next weekend. Camping at all these CGs is free, and occasionally I have seen another camper. These sites have fire pits, picnic tables, and an outhouse. There is no water or electricity. Further north is the CG in the National Park - paved, quiet, water supplied, and more folks but nothing special. I've not stayed there.
This has to be one of the most beautiful places in the USA.
I hope you get there and like it as much as I do.
Mark
Old 03-15-2004, 05:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Mark -

I enjoyed reading your post and especially the picture of your Silver Hilton. That's a perfect name for an Airstream, and even more appropriate for a steelhead fisherman.

Could you give me the name of the person who did the picture for your window? I wouldn't mind getting something like that when I get my new Airstream, to be built next month.

Incidentally, I fish a lot for Steelhead myself, although my fishing is on the Great Lakes tributaries. My wife and I spend the summer in the NW, mostly chasing trout in MT, ID and WY, although we did spend some time hiking along the HO last summer, on our way to Vancouver Island. I bet camping in your "Hilton" and fishing there is a blast!

John
Old 03-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
John -

The artwork was done by:

John & Peggy Matthews
Fly's Pinstriping
5000 NE Stephens #41
Roseburg, OR 97470

541-672-1068

thefly@internetcds.com

They were very nice people to deal with and do high quality artwork!

Mark