Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
For any one of us that ever had any hesitation or angst about towing, problem solved. If those numbskulls could manage to get that thing across country without rolling it, than anyone can.

I doubt we will see the episode where it is time to release the brown trout in to the wild. Their entourage obviously does everything for them, making it truly the "Simple Life Too."

I believe the truck was a GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab. I think the scene at the gas station had her trying to get close to the Diesel pump. I could be mistaken.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Well, the premise of the show is so flawed. If you turned them loose for a month with just the trailer & truck and they HAD to get those jobs or starve, and they HAD to get out the manuals & figure out the leveling jacks, then you might see a whole different side.

Something more like "The Blair Witch Project."

Plus, they can be funny, if in a snide way. Nicole cracked me up along with Paris when she said, "Who the ..... do I have to ...... around here to get out of a ticket?"

If I haven't actually said that myself at some point, it's certainly going into my memory bank for some future situation ...
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:59 PM   #23

Speaking of all the shows and locations, I am trying to find out where in Texas the Airstream caravan was filmed for the movie "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" with Johnny Depp. Any clue or how to get in touch with the local Airstream club??? I think they put it together for the film company outside of Austin.
ETsmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
It was a customized GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Anyone pay attention to the truck? Isn't it a half ton short bed?

Would that be a good choice for a 25' CCD?
Evidently it was a diesel because the station attendant pointed to the diesel pump after they pulled in at the gas pump and a volunteer had to back it up to the diesel pump.

The whole show is a scripted sham and not reality at all. I noticed when they bummed money from the guys in the van at the toll booth there was a women leaning up to the window of the van afterwards most likely reimbursing them.

OK, I saw the Airstream and most likely it will be less and less in prominence in coming shows because they can only joke about backing it up, hitching it up, etc. only one or two times. I won't have tune in again. Thank god.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
OK, I saw the Airstream and most likely it will be less and less in prominence in coming shows because they can only joke about backing it up, hitching it up, etc. only one or two times. I won't have tune in again. Thank god.
Oh, David, if only it were so. I expect the airstream will become more central to the scripts as they run out of creative ideas.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

We saw the truck and trailer over at C&G Trailer Service in Bellflower, CA. last month. The girls didn't complete their journey without mishap. C&G was fixing a boo-boo.

Real cute how it's decorated inside the Airstream.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Your right Lev....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Summerkid.

I am willing to bet that there were a few of the male species that would agree with this....

Jonathan
I would have stole them away, run to chicago for the weekend, shopped the Magnificent Mile....LOL

I didnt' watch it, but Tony said they stole MY idea, with the neon light under the Airstream.... That really ticks me off!!! Why can't I have a good idea and have it be all my own...????

I have to go.... must call the therapist now....
Old 06-18-2004, 09:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Thumbs down

This is the worst thing to happen to AS since the baby food guys. To be associated with this bimbo in anyway is degraded and will make AS the laughing stock for a whole generation. Oh. isn't that what bimbo had in the TV show? Oh, look, there goes one of those bimbo trailers. The worst part is I suspect someone at airstream approved the project. Not a good sign.
BTW. They quit in Texas and flew home to LA. Good ...
PS. Tin Can when did you think of that, I thought of it last June I think maybe it's my idea.... Blue lights,
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 09:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
OK<

I guess you beat me. I just bought another one, the three foot neon wasn't long enough. Need more light, for that spaceship look.

Ron
Old 06-18-2004, 10:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
The sociological impact from the association of an object to a particular person isn't something I have any real area of expertise in - I'm not a marketing or sociology major.

Here are some images that jump to mind for me...

Elvis and 57' pink Cadillacs.
Tang and astronauts.
O.J. Simpson and Bruno Magli shoes. Hell yeah.

But Paris and Nicole ruining the Airstream legacy for an entire generation? I doubt it - they're a flash in the pan (at best!) I think one of the requirements is for a person to be an icon first, and then become tied in with a product, knowingly or unwittingly.

So I would guess it's a big stretch to think a couple dopey girls could effectively damage the reputation of Airstream in any lasting sense. It's too big, too historic an icon for that.

Now, could they effectively damage their Airstream in a lasting sense? That's another story.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:58 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
What if Billy Boy's girlfriend there did a commercial for ole oscar meyers, sales go up or down? See, did that without any names.

Everyone wants to buy the stuff that makes you a high flying rock star that leaps over suitcases? Well maybe the suitcase thing wouldn't work now. Problem is these (P&N) are amoung the least likable humans not on a wanted list. Everyone wants to be liked in general and no marketing project wants to be associated with losers. I am disapppointed that AS would neglect the history of being a class produce and go for this level of marketing. What's next, Jerry Springer. I guess someone likes the "hollywood" lunches. Remember, even those who watch trash TV get a vote.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Hey Tin. Do your's work on 12volt while cruise the highway. Now that would be cool.
I bought one of those rope light things on close out at Loews and run them along the front window and stoneguard awning. Should have gotten more, looks really cool and helps to find AS after happy hour at rally. I don't think some of the "club" official types are to keen on it but they just kind of give it a polite look.
I want the 12 volt for underneath. This of course this will have to be a dark project as the minister of culture in my world would not approve.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
"...dark project..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
This of course this will have to be a dark project as the minister of culture in my world would not approve.
Are you referring to your significant other? If so, I love the comment...it is too funny!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:58 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I was thinking of using the white 12 volt lighting inside as indirect lighting. Silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:14 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The show is really a disappointment. To have them bumming money off of folks was crude at best. Instead of "The Simple Life 2", it should be called "Lives of the 2 Simpletons"
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Simple life warning signs

Perhaps I should hang a yellow warning sign on the back of my Airstream while on the road saying: "No blond bimboes on board!"

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:36 PM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by markparker22
Perhaps I should hang a yellow warning sign on the back of my Airstream while on the road saying: "No blond bimboes on board!"
Now that's funny!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Although, given the subject matter, in such an instance it probably would behoove one to spell "bimbos" properly.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
ha ha

my mispelling brings out your great wit....loved it.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by markparker22

Actually, I thought that "bimboes" denoted two or more upper crust bimbettes, as opposed to the normal Devine (John Waters) trailer trash ones such as found in "Pink Flamingo(e)s.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote