Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Sailplane

As a freshly minted butter bar, I lived for a couple years in the cheapest place I could find, saved my pennies, and before I turned 25 bought a sailplane. I owned, flew, and thorougly enjoyed it for a number of years before selling it to a guy from VA when our oldest was 2. The last thing I told him was "don't break it."

And that's what he did.
Per NTSB:
Quote:
:As the pilot made a right turn onto the base leg of the traffic pattern, the glider's right wing struck a tree and it impacted the ground in a 70-degree nose down attitude.
John had some bruises, but contacted me and apologized all over himself for wiping it out, and told me that it saved his life, as he was able to walk away from the wreckage.

Wreckage. What a disgusting word. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he was OK, and I wasn't very angry at all, but still...

Fortunately, the extraordinarily capable Jim Phoenix purchased the salvage and brought it back from what by rights should have been a trip to the scrap metal bin,
Jim Phoenix Page

I'd talked with Jim shortly after he got the wreck to his home (in Washington state, from Connecticut), and gave him what I remembered of the history of it (including the two owners previous to me): a large number of 100-300 mile flights, several over 20,000 feet, many contests, etc.

So tonight we put the kids to bed and I start wondering if he ever finished the project. I look it up and since WA, it's gone to an acquaintance in NM, then to a new home in MD.

It's much better looking now than when I owned it, but it's kind of strange, all the same. I have some really great memories of flying it, memories I don't quite know where to put.

A part of me wants to be sad about the whole thing, but I know better. I picked "family" over "flying" and while I can't say I don't miss it, it was a really simple choice.

That's pretty much it. No real point. But if you want to see some interesting metalworking items, take a look at the wing restoration link from Jim's main home page: www.jimphoenix.com
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Your "no point" is well taken here.
I grew up near a Sailplane field in Germany. I remember many lazy summer days laying on my back in a meadow with my friends watching the sailplanes graciously and without any noise or disturbance, circle the sky.
In retrospect - I could have joined the club and learned how to fly one of these as a kid - but somehow never did. Big mistake.
I think the Sailplane sport is not only an artform, but the most romantic form of Aviation ever!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
I too used to dream about flying gliders. A few years ago I finally took the step and got my rating, joined a local club, and have only wished I had done it sooner. I love the beauty of sailplanes in flight--it's a wonderful sport.
Here's a picture a friend took of me with our club's DG 1000 as we were getting ready for a great flight on a spring afternoon.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DG 1000.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	42999  
Rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Those clouds are beautiful! It must be amazing to soar among them.
Have you noticed how so many Airstreamers are also pilots? Gotta love the aerodynamics...
By the way, you clearly have an exceptional wife.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Is that a 1-26 A model?

Looks like it to me. Wow there aren't to many of those left around. Glad to hear your friend walked away and the Sailplane was restored. I got my first solo time in a 2-33 in the early 80's, then 1-26 then ASK-21. Then got my power ticket. Don't ya just love spoilers!! Flew a Bkanik-13 a few years ago- creak groan workin it.
Hey Terry we should go up some time!
Did my spin training at Sky Sailing in Fremont Ca. What a blast!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Looks like it to me. Wow there aren't to many of those left around. Glad to hear your friend walked away and the Sailplane was restored. I got my first solo time in a 2-33 in the early 80's, then 1-26 then ASK-21. Then got my power ticket. Don't ya just love spoilers!! Flew a Bkanik-13 a few years ago- creak groan workin it.
Hey Terry we should go up some time!
Did my spin training at Sky Sailing in Fremont Ca. What a blast!
Yeah, an A... 038, 15 Sep 1955. The two guys who owned it before me both worked at a national lab, and both ended up flying to Kansas from central NM.

You're right about the spoilers too. Pull the boards and kick the rudder all the way and it comes down like a simonized manhole cover.

I pulled off tow once at 800 ft AGL, 7000 msl, spent twenty minutes getting an extra 1k ft before the thermal finally collected itself, at which point it was 6-8kts to 14500, followed by 30 miles straight upwind without circling....

Then there was the day I was able to punch into wave from thermal...

My last good flight in it was during a contest in Ohio... Spent an hour hanging out over a combine in a bean field, waiting for the cirrus to blow past and the thermals to start cooking again, I realized that I was sitting alone 900 ft over nothin' and I had a really great girlfriend sitting alone at the airport.

I flew it some more after that, but my heart wasn't in it.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
How true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
You're right about the spoilers too. Pull the boards and kick the rudder all the way and it comes down like a simonized manhole cover.
BUT when you push the spoilers forward it's like a smooth kick in the rear! Why don't private planes have spoilers any how?
guess I'll try to find my old log book in the morning!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
N8833

I was the second owner of this HP-14.

and it was totalled by a subsequent owner.

That's a shame because it was good glider that I had some really good flights in.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty
I was the second owner of this HP-14.

and it was totalled by a subsequent owner.

That's a shame because it was good glider that I had some really good flights in.
Gorgeous airplane. Had one at our field when I was learning to fly.

I got to meet Dick Schreder (the designer) a once or twice. The first time he came and spoke for Dad's EAA chapter. I was a teen-ager and knew about gold badges & diamonds, and when I stepped up to him in the receiving line, my eyes were glued to his diamonds and my mouth opened and closed but all that came out was "uh uh uh."
He had some really good stories about flying in a World's championship in Argentina. Towing behind helicopters and more. Have always been impressed by the handful of people who designed, built, and flew their own planes competitively.

Richard E Schreder Biography
Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I got my Gold Badge and one Diamond in that airplane. It was a reasonably well performing a/c for a metal homebuilt and I really loved those nearly full-span flaps. When coming in for an off-field landing (aux vache, as the french say, which means "with the cows"), I could crank those big flaps to 90 degrees and maintain a 50 degree nose down attitude to keep my speed above 50 knots. Then it was a simple matter to round out as I neared the ground and touch down at about 35 knots and it was all over with. I even landed out gear-up one time and the only damage was some scuffed paint on the gear doors. That was a tough airplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
Have always been impressed by the handful of people who designed, built, and flew their own planes competitively.
Then you ought to like the movie "The World's Fastest Indian", which is based on the true story of Burt Munro, who souped up his 1920 Indian motorcycle (which he had purchased new) and took it to Bonneville to set a world speed record.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty
Then you ought to like the movie "The World's Fastest Indian", which is based on the true story of Burt Munro, who souped up his 1920 Indian motorcycle (which he had purchased new) and took it to Bonneville to set a world speed record.
Very good movie.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote