Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Lightbulb Needed ~ a little help from Airstream Friends!

Hello Airstreamers out there!

We all have an Airstream friend (some of you know him, some of you would like to know him...) who has posted on this forum, but not in a while... Darol Ingalls. Darol is battling leukemia and has undergone all sorts of medical procedures in the past year and has been housebound for a long time. He is currently on another round of chemo.

Darol has been fighting hard to win this battle, but at times I am sure he feels pretty discouraged. I know sometimes he wonders if folks think of him. It is difficult when we don't know what to say to someone so ill, but any kindness is often very helpful to recovery. We have camped with him a number of times and he has always added great stories and helpful advice around the campfire and dinner table! He is a kind and generous man.

I thought it might be "fun" for him if we could take him on a virtual (of sorts ~ rather snail mail...) armchair camping trip. He currently doesn't have access to the internet where he is staying, so it is letters or phone calls. I am asking you good Airstream folks out there to lend a hand to a fellow Airstreamer and do one of the following things (or any other nice thought that might come to mind...)
  • Send Darol a scenic postcard from your area or a place you have camped and let him know what you liked about the camping spot or some interesting fact. Tell him it is his "virtual or armchair camping trip"
  • Or, if you don't have a postcard a quick note wishing him a good day or a little get well sentiment.
  • If you know Darol and have camped with him, how about printing out a picture you might have of him camping with you or sitting around a campfire... he might enjoy seeing them.
If you are willing to participate in this well-intended activity here is his address:

Darol Ingalls
1171 N. Maple Street
Canby, Oregon 97013

There is another thread about his progess and suggestion for a note or card at this link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...s-47101-3.html

Thanks everyone, I know he will certainly appreciate the good vibes!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think that's a great idea. And if there's any Airstreamers of Norwegian descent, maybe they could send him a new Sven & Ollie joke or two - There's been many times he had me laughing around the campfire with those darn jokes!

Darol is a genuinely good guy, and I'm sure he'd enjoy hearing from folks.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
We are on the road again to the Pendleton round-up so will send a card.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Thanks Claudia for the update on Darol & the heartfelt idea.

I think I have a picture of Darol's retro pod from the 2008 Area 33 rally, so will see if I can make up a "postcard" & mail to him.

Wondering if Darol has access to a computer or DVD player - I did a windows media CD of our trip to Yosemite this year & one of a walk along Hurricane Ridge in Olympic national park - might send that along as well.

We're off to the Tin Can Tourist rally in Lynden WA this week - have to stay near Vancouver (would have loved to venture into OR for the Pendleton rally & the Steens) BUT our daughter-in-law is now at 36 weeks with our 2nd grand child to be & she delivered our 1st grand daughter at 37 1/2 weeks!

Carolyn & Gerry
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What a great idea. We will send a card to Darol, He is such a wonderful man. He has entertained us a couple of times. So much knowledge! We think of him often. Thanks for the update.
Gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Great idea! I'll send out something this week.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
I bought a box of Richard Neuman cards and a box of Paige Bridges cards. They were not exactly cheap (and I am!), so I don't send them out to just anyone ~ whoever is going to receive one has to be very special to me.

I mailed one to Darol yesterday. It's the one by Richard Neuman of a tiny vintage Airstream with the door open, a US flag flying proudly and 2 metal chairs out front. My hope is that it will put a smile in Darol's heart.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Thanks for the nice responses folks! Please pass the word on to others that may know Darol or have a kind heart! He has offered such great Airstream advice to so many of us and is such a good guy! He has been pretty much stuck in the hospital or his bedroom/house for something like 9 months or so....gotta be tiring even without battling his illness. I am sure he will appreciate the good thoughts.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
Wondering if Darol has access to a computer or DVD player - I did a windows media CD of our trip to Yosemite this year & one of a walk along Hurricane Ridge in Olympic national park - might send that along as well...

Carolyn & Gerry
I don't think they have a computer there at all. You might want to just print some pictures out for him.

Which reminds me, he has a great story he told around the campfire one night about a little adventure he had at the Olympics that involves an abandoned lodge and a haunted piano...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Dropping one in the mail today, and smiling, just to think of all the places Darol is going to be "taken to" on this tour around the country with his Forum friends. What a wonderful idea this is. And Darol, if you are reading this sometime, know that you are supported by the caring best wishes of this incredible Airstream community! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Thanks Claudia!

I will send him a card!
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Thanks again everyone! Let's keep the "armchair camping trip" going! I know Darol isn't ready to quit "camping"!