Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Alaskan Camper

Fairbanks , Alaska
Insurance for a Airstream

I would like some information or suggestions on RV insurance for an Airstream. Can anyone give me an Idea of different policies, what coverage to get ver’s what’s a waste, how do rates compare with other brand TT’s. Any particulars that we should know would be appreciated.
Ron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Insurance

Ours is insured as an additional vehicle on our automobile policy. I understand details vary by policy/insurer.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I have mine on my auto insurance as well. I do have it insured for the full value of the trailer. This is how much I have put into restoring it plus what I paid for it.
Make sure your comprehensive coverage has a high cap on it. Most things will happen when you have the trailer parked.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Unhappy

We, too, have ours on our auto policy (in fact an umbrella policy that covers everything we own). Value is based on what we paid plus what we put into it on repairs and improvements. The insurance company wanted copies of receipts and pictures.

At our last local WBCCI meeting, this exact question came up. Many of the members said that Progressive seems to have the best rates. I haven't checked because I'm happy with what we have, but that might be possibility.

With the vintage trailers nothing will really cover the costs to repair and replace, because of the scarcity and costs of parts.

Maybe we should just leave it parked in the barn, and pretend were out by the lake........nah.... what's life, if you can't take risks? Insurance agents live for that stuff...

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I attached the Excella to my State Farm multi-car policy and it wasn't too bad. I recently bought an '86 Sovereign 25' and pick it up March 30 so I went to www.progressivedirect.com to work out a quote. I figured the trailer was worth at least $10K with Hensley Arrow hitch included but I might be off. I know I could not replace the trailer with a new Hensley for that much. Here is the online quote for my area:

Comprehensive $250 ded. $188
Collision $250 ded. $47
Additional emer. expense $5
Vacation liability $10,000 $3
Replacement cost personal effects $6,000 $51
______
$294 for 12 mos.

I did not add full-timers, roadside assistance or disappearing deductibles/scheduled medical benefits. I have not compared these figures with my current policy so the figures might increase if I increase coverage. I'd say that a $500 deductible would be even cheaper.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I attached the Excella to my State Farm multi-car policy and it wasn't too bad. I recently bought an '86 Sovereign 25' and pick it up March 30 so I went to www.progressivedirect.com to work out a quote. I figured the trailer was worth at least $10K with Hensley Arrow hitch included but I might be off. I know I could not replace the trailer with a new Hensley for that much. Here is the online quote for my area:

Comprehensive $250 ded. $188
Collision $250 ded. $47
Additional emer. expense $5
Vacation liability $10,000 $3
Replacement cost personal effects $6,000 $51
______
$294 for 12 mos.

I did not add full-timers, roadside assistance or disappearing deductibles/scheduled medical benefits. I have not compared these figures with my current policy so the figures might increase if I increase coverage. I'd say that a $500 deductible would be even cheaper.
Progressive quoted you exactly TWICE as much as State Farm did us for our 1967 Ambassador, insured for 10K, minimum, trailer, hitch and contents. (on our multi-car policy)

But I know we could not replace her for that.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C
I would like some information or suggestions on RV insurance for an Airstream. Can anyone give me an Idea of different policies, what coverage to get ver’s what’s a waste, how do rates compare with other brand TT’s. Any particulars that we should know would be appreciated.

P.s. We have a Toyota Tundra tow vehicle, also.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
All my paperwork is out in the trailer and it is raining cats and dogs so I can't check it right now. I was thinking State Farm was like $225 for 12 months on stated value of $7600 which is less than what I have in it.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-21-2005, 12:21 AM   #9
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C
There was a thread on insurance almost 2 years ago. Try the SEARCH option, but one that was highly recommended was www.foremost.com . Tel. 1-800-262-0170. It is advisable to go with a RV co. because otherwise any claim can have a dramatic effect on your auto policy

They quoted me $240 /yr for $8K coverage with $100 deductible.(in May 2003)

Another is RVInsurance .com who seem to be affiliated with GMAC finance.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Another Progressive Customer

We just went through the insurance hassle last week. The lowest rate we found was $635/year through Progressive. This insures our 2005 Safari for 50K. We had been quoted much higher through several other companies, including Foremost.

I called my local independent insurance agent and let them do the footwork for me!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:16 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the things to consider with either Foremost or Progessive is their road service coverage. Both companies offer service which includes tow of both the tow vehicle and trailer. That to me is an important coverage and at a much lower cost than a standalone service. I had Foremost on my Safari but changed over to Progressive due to their price, replacement coverage, and disappearing deductables.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Really the best place to start is your insurance on cars and home. I have everything with State farm.

Nobody has been able to come in close with coverage and rate with all the discounts I get from being a long term customer, homeowners also with them and the total package.

Right now our coach if insuured for $2500 till we can get it restored. Once restored we will get it appraised and they will cover it for that. My comprehensive covers towing as well. I just submit them the copy of the bill and they send back a check.

I haven't the fogiest what we are paying. I think its something like $50 every 6 months for the current coverage.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
My comprehensive covers towing as well. I just submit them the copy of the bill and they send back a check.
While that's fine, you still have the responsiblity of finding a provider of towing service and hoping that the guy you get has any kind of idea what he is dealing with. You deal with towing coverage from Foremost or Progressive, you are handled by a service center who will dispatch someone out to you no matter where you are at. And as I noted earlier, if your tow vehicle is disabled, I'll bet that your comprehensive won't cover the total cost of towing the disabled tow vehicle and that trailer also since it technically is not disabled. It's tough to learn these lessons on the road.

I asked these questions to my current auto insurance carrier before I decided to carry a separate policy for the trailer. Maybe State Farm is different, but just the fact of a single number to call for service, beats a cell phone calling 911 to find you a towing service.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
While that's fine, you still have the responsiblity of finding a provider of towing service and hoping that the guy you get has any kind of idea what he is dealing with. You deal with towing coverage from Foremost or Progressive, you are handled by a service center who will dispatch someone out to you no matter where you are at. And as I noted earlier, if your tow vehicle is disabled, I'll bet that your comprehensive won't cover the total cost of towing the disabled tow vehicle and that trailer also since it technically is not disabled. It's tough to learn these lessons on the road.

I asked these questions to my current auto insurance carrier before I decided to carry a separate policy for the trailer. Maybe State Farm is different, but just the fact of a single number to call for service, beats a cell phone calling 911 to find you a towing service.

Jack
Thats a good point. I have not asked about the towing of the coach. I'll have to check.
For my vehicle its always been callwho your comfortable with and as long as its' not some out of the norm rate per mile they will cover it in full up to some max.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
that's what they said

We have all our coverage with State Farm, except for the Streamer. I asked our agent a lot of questions. FWIW a few of the answers were;
1) I was told that the coverage from State Farm WOULD NOT cover any towing of the RV if the tow vehicle was disabled, unless it was attached to the tow vehicle & towed at the same time. I do not think any towing company would tow the two units at the same time. So if we had TV problems, we could
1a) leave the RV beside the road with the wife to safe guard it ( not a chance) while the TV was towed in for repairs or
2b) Have the RV also towed in at our expense. That's the route we would have to go.
While there may be ways around it, I didn't care to go there, while also having another problem. Also our RV insurance IS SUPPOSED to call an RV friendly towing service & the Ins would cover towing for both the TV & RV.
2) State Farm would not cover on the road RV flat tire changes, hitch problems, etc, in other words no RV road service, which for me is very important.
3) It also appeared that I might encounter problems with State Farm adjusters, if the RV was ever damaged & needed repairs. We know that it is more expensive to have an A/S repaired than another SOB, but do the adjusters & will it entail a lot of problems? Also our agent did not think that State Farm would have us go to an A/S qualified repair shop, without some questions, unless it was the closest one. Our agent would not say, but I could read the body language & was not comfortable. State Farm would also go by the Blue Book for repairs & it would be up to me to justify the additional cost. Hail damage was my biggest concern. While I can not say how our current Ins Co. might react, they are an RV insurance handler & I would hope to have a better chance of a fair settlement.
4) will the RV be covered by ins while stored at home? Funny that our other items, like the pontoon, boat, etc are covered by homeowners ins while stored, but the RV would not be unless we carried full year round RV coverage.
There were other issuses of concern that I raised, so I would encourage you to ask & ask again before you decide.
I am comfortable with the ins we have, but it was not the cheapest RV insurance, but then again neither was the RV we purchased. The right ins for a person is something like the right TV, debatable. People have different levels of comfortbility. For us, I feel comfortable that we have most items covered that are of a concern & to me that's most important while on the road.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I went by the State Farm office today and spoke with my agent. My current premium is just a few dollars over $200 for 12 months. He told me the price was based not on what I payed for the used unit but what the price was when it was new. I had asked Airstream what the cost was back in '77 and they told me it was $19,830 or there abouts. That means I am looking at something like $250-275 depending on the price of the 25' Sovereign in 1986. I told him it would take at least $10,000 minimum to replace the trailer and a used Hensley so he came up with a figure of $125 annually. I thought great until I said, "It's newer, not an Excella like my other, why is it cheaper? That was when he said that it was based on the 1986 price. Strange, it is also $500 deductible like my current policy.

Hmm, retail price vs. purchase price! Since there is a difference between the 2 then it will effect the annual premium so I guess I will have to figure out the steal of the century.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E. Milliman
We have all our coverage with State Farm, except for the Streamer. I asked our agent a lot of questions. FWIW a few of the answers were;
1) I was told that the coverage from State Farm WOULD NOT cover any towing of the RV if the tow vehicle was disabled, unless it was attached to the tow vehicle & towed at the same time. I do not think any towing company would tow the two units at the same time. So if we had TV problems, we could
Its done every day with semi's,it would not be a problem as long as the tow truck had enough motor.

If you demand a roll back then the truck can go on the tow truck and they can tow the trailer on the wheel lift on the rear. The wheel lift is hight adjustable so they would have no problem getting the needed ball hight. Most roll backs are set up to do just this anyway.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

David Z71's 25' should be close to mine. I have a '90 Excella 25'. Just checked on my Allstate coverage which is tagged to all my vehicles.

Collision $500 ded $82 (annual)
Comprehensive$100ded $64
Total $146 (annual)
listed as "actual cash value limits"

I believe they used book value in their determinations.

Sounds like Progressive would be best esp if the TT is used often.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:39 AM   #19
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Proper & adequate coverage ?

It is recommended to insure your unit with an AGREED VALUE - only. This way you know exactly what your policy limits are for comprehensive and collision. Limits can be modified upward as your investment (and value) increase during restoration. Documentation will be necessary.

Coverage predicated on purchase price [Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price] can sometimes be adequate when the unit is relatively new.

Be aware that some policies will depreciate different items at different percentages, such as awnings etc., when paying a claim. What are the limits the company will pay if someone breaks in and steals all your stuff ?? If it is not enough you can increase the coverage. (personal contents)

Ask your agent for a copy of the policy they are recommending, and READ IT! They are usually boiler plate, although most often re-structured different by each individual company.

Ask questions to fully understand the verbiage. Read the policy ...!

If you have sold your home, or have left it for an extended period of time, and are full timing, make sure you have a full-timers policy. This will provide you with some level of liability coverage (visitor slip & fall in your camp site, your unintentional damage to a camp site, etc.) Did you store 'stuff' when you left. Is it covered from a loss?

Make sure you understand the exclusions in the policy language. Example: if you live temporally on a commercial job site in your unit, you may not have coverage. Your agent should be advised of these situations and modify your policy to extend this coverage.

Are you going to Mexico? ... Alaska ? ... do you have coverage while in Canada? Does the company have certain U.S. states they do not cover where you store the unit? (this statement may be integrated into the application you have to sign) Ask the questions!

Your policy is a contract, please 'insure' that you agree with it.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote