Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
I-5 in California

Hi fellow streamers

Redding, CA to Bakersfield, CA via I-5 was in disrepair two years ago. Any knowledge of how it is now? Using that route after Thanksgiving this year.....2018.

Many thanks as always,

Brad Anderson (augianderson@msn.com)
Augianderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Redding , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augianderson View Post
Hi fellow streamers

Redding, CA to Bakersfield, CA via I-5 was in disrepair two years ago. Any knowledge of how it is now? Using that route after Thanksgiving this year.....2018.

Many thanks as always,

Brad Anderson (augianderson@msn.com)

I can only tell you that Redding to Sacramento has been greatly improved. We have not travelled further south in several years.
Almostlucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
Many many thanks for that helpful information!!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
"Disrepair" is a bit of an understatement as the road has been in dreadful condition for many years, especially the right hand lane.

From the Oregon line to I-505, the road is much improved, some construction spots, but the repairs appear to be of good quality, unlike the more southern segments.

I can't speak to the I-505 to Tracy segment.

From Tracy to Buttonwillow there have been repairs, largely cosmetic. They applied a "slurry" a couple of years or so ago to some stretches, but it did nothing to cure the underlying defects, and only made them more difficult to spot while driving normal speeds as it gave the illusion of nice, new pavement. Not so. The transitions at underpasses are generally awful. No matter what they did to the highway, they did nothing to the broken concrete of the underpasses and the abrupt transition from road surface to underpass concrete. There are segments where the road is fairly decent, allowing you to travel in relative comfort. The segment between Tracy and Coalinga is decent as I recall. There are other segments between Coalinga and Lost Hills and that are awful, inspiring me to travel in the left lane.

I haven't traveled the section from Lost Hills to Buttonwillow is a couple of years, but that used to be one of the worst. Perhaps they've done something, dunno. I-5 does not technically go to Bakersfield, but rather just south of Bakersfield. I usually prefer not to take Highway 58 between I-5 and Bakersfield, as I prefer a different route when traveling through Bakersfield...in part due to road condition.

I haven't traveled the section between Buttonwillow and the Grapevine with the Airstream recently enough to give an accurate report.

I hope this helps, and be sure to secure your trailer contents, drawers, and overhead cabinets well.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
You might consider 99. A few years back it was a teeth rattler but it has been rebuilt in many sections south of Sacramento over the past couple of years. You could take I-5 to Stockton and then cut over to 99 at Exit 467. That avoids the spaghetti exits and off ramps in Sacramento.
This also gives you the options to see Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks or a stop at The Lakes RV Park in Chowchilla.
ratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
So helpful!! Thank you Thank you, much appreciated. I'll post in late November as to what I find!
Old 11-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
Just finished the I-5 route: Grants Pass, OR to Bakersfield, CA and though there were a few rough spots a few miles in length I-5 has been greatly improved & I'd take this route again. It is much better than a few years ago.