Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Ancestry DNA & 23 and Me.

Hi, I and a few of my family members have done the Ancestry DNA. I'm personally disappointed in the results and don't feel that they are right compared to what we were told about our family origins.

But what I really want to ask is: Has anyone had their DNA tested by both Ancestry DNA and 23 and Me? And if you did, do the results reasonably match each other?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have, and they generally match, with 23 and Me...my most recent test...being more specific and without any “undetermined”.

One of them, I think 23 and Me, has a $49 special right now for two or more tests.

Given that these started at $200 each some years ago, that’s a great deal.

What one is told about family origins isn’t always the truth, and non-parental events, I think they’re called, where a child is fathered by someone outside the family unit, are common over time.

DNA doesn’t lie. It’s certainly turned up some surprises in mine.

Maggie
Old 11-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I and a few of my family members have done the Ancestry DNA. I'm personally disappointed in the results and don't feel that they are right compared to what we were told about our family origins.

But what I really want to ask is: Has anyone had their DNA tested by both Ancestry DNA and 23 and Me? And if you did, do the results reasonably match each other?

I did the Ancestry DNA test back in 2012. The first results did not exactly match what I was told either. I was told my ancestors came from the UK and Germany. The information that was told for generations was true for the male lineages, where the same family surname was handed down father to son. What gets forgotten is the lineages that the females bring to the mix. And, people move. Example: people in the UK had ancestors from Europe.

If you compare the maps Ancestry provides you will see that the geographic prediction areas overlap. Example: Western Europe overlaps the UK.

DNA testing used to predict ancestral geography is not an exact science. Predictions change as more is learned. Ancestry changed their predictions for me earlier this year. Now the prediction is that I am less Western European and more English/Scottish/Irish. I am finding the predictions to be very similar to what my family tree proves.

To answer your question:
My sister tested at 23andMe. The prediction results were the same, almost exact. Since they were so close, I did not re-test.

If you (or anyone reading this who participates at Ancestry) would like to know if we are distant cousins, send me a PM. I have over a hundred thousand cousin matches at Ancestry. I'll be glad to share any information I have. I'll be glad to help anyone with research. I have been working on my family tree for decades.

ps:
Another thing a lot of people do not consider is how many ancestors everyone has.
Parents - 2
grand parents - 4
great grand parents - 8
2g - 16
3g - 32
Keep doing the math, doubling the quantity of ancestors each generation.
It is not too many generations back that the number of ancestors each of us has exceeds the population of the earth at that time.

Hello Cousin!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have found two distant cousins here, one of whom lives on ancestral land in Virginia that has been continuously occupied by that branch since originally settled in the 1600’s.

Pretty fascinating stuff, and a very deep hole one can immerse oneself in.

Maggie

Old 11-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:

What we were "told" about our family history was basically a big lie, perpetrated by a grandfather who was a cad to put it nicely. Upon further investigation by a niece, this guy was from an entirely different country than what we were told and didn't even have the same last name he passed on to my dad and all his siblings. After leaving his wife and 4 children he spent time in the Montana penitentiary, remarried and might have even had more kids. We only did Ancestry DNA but I doubt that the other one would be wildly different. Through the journey we did find a half brother I knew nothing about and a niece who has proven to be a wonderful addition to the family. The half brother passed many years ago and we were disappointed not to get to meet him.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Ancestry is all about research, one step at a time on on your personal family tree to move back through time. I have not done the DNA but had the good fortune to trace back part of the tree to the late 1600. My mothers Grandparent - all four came from Denmark and had large families and many of their children also had large families - ie my mother had lots of cousins - My fathers family two of his grandparents also came from Denmark. But the other grandparents were dutch and English and this search leads way back to the 1600's and early 1700.
my point is the The more individuals who opt for the DNA testing while doing the research the more helpful searches back in history will be, especially if you do make a good effort at develop an accurate tree. DNA will then help fill in a few of the blanks or confirm your research. DNA also can be especially helpful if looking for native American connections in your tree where few records exist. Now that my tree is pretty complete I plan on testing to see if I can fill in some missing areas. Just keep in mind DNA for historical conclusions will only work if you do a good job on individual research
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One of my great uncles told my dad when he asked questions "Don't look, you won't like what you find." That just made me more curious.

We all have skeletons and scoundrels in our family. That's who they were, not who we are. I wanted to know the truth, regardless of what happened.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree, and it just makes family history all that much more interesting.

BTW, my paternal grandparents emigrated from Denmark in the early 1900’s.

Maggie
Old 11-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #9

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
We have done lots of ancestry research, just last year we found my wife is one of 10 children sired by her birth father. 5 still living. We met 3 of the 4 last winter and will hopefully meet the last one this winter. All great people and an immediate bond between the sisters.
My family... not so much. Grandpa did time in San Quentin.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My late husband had a great uncle who murdered a man who had gotten his sister pregnant.

Maggie
Old 11-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, part of my story starts with my Grandfather; He and his brothers and one sister came to this country with their parents from Italy. They lived the true Italian way. [we didn't] My Grandfather married a German woman. Assuming that both were full blooded Italian and German, This would have made my Dad half Italian and half German. And that would have made me 1/4 Italian and 1/4 German plus whatever came from my Mom. Ancestry DNA says that I'm only Four percent Italian. Some thing is wrong here.

Also I have a cousin [with the same last name] who said that her Great Grandfather was one of my Grandfather's brothers. Her DNA test results showed that she is not related to me at all. [she needs to talk to her mother]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are a lot of countries in Europe, and been fluid movement between those borders for centuries, from what I understand.

There were wars, conquests, slaves taken, raping, pillaging and plundering.

I have great great grandparents who emigrated from Germany to New Orleans almost 200 years ago, but I’m German, Russian, French, Italian etc., a hodgepodge of most of Europe.

Because you came from a particular country doesn’t mean that all of your ancestors did.

And, not just your father but both of his parents, their parents, etc. All of everyone who married into your family...or contributed DNA ...figures in there.

Then, it was common for children whose parents had died to be taken in and adopted by neighbors and family members...add that all in.

It’s interesting, seeing it all laid out in DNA results, I feel.

Maggie
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Not having known my Grandfathers, I would love a detailed Family tree.
The most interesting...my paternal Grandmother was a Pardee, Her Mothers cousin was Sara, an amazing woman, more than the Myth.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was totally floored when my 23 & Me results came back.

I understood German (Dad's father was from Austria-Hungary and his mother was from Dresden in Germany). Mom laughingly said her relatives were horse thieves in Scotland, so that explained the English/Scottish. But the nearly 19% Ashkenazi Jewish came out of the clouds. And that claims to be only 2 to 3 generations back.

When I was born, my parents had a snip done to me in the nether region so I am pre-qualified for the Jewish deal.

It will interesting to see where this leads.

Also had the health part done by 23 & Me and that is very interesting as well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am also Ashkenazi Jewish, 7 1/2% or something like that.

Since I found that out, I wondered if the great great grandparents who came to the US from Germany in the 1830’s were fleeing persecution.

It’s not anything we were ever told, tho a great aunt of mine did a comprehensive genealogy on one family line back to the 1400’s.

Tho, there were at least several things we weren’t told.

You could put together a tree back several generations, just from basic information and Ancestry.com.

There is a wealth of information in census records after the mid 1800’s or so, all available online.

Maggie
Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

What is their motivation to be truthful? The same as an astrologer or palm reader. Their methods may improve, but . . . ?

In the meantime you’ve given bad actors information about your family that conceivably could be harmful to your descendants.

It’s no mistake the same bunch also bought out FIND A GRAVE.

I’d suggest genealogy is the sounder approach. Through a secure VPN.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I did 23 and me. It was pretty much on the marks and we have a very detailed genealogical record going back five centuries to compare it to. Remember, 50% of your heritage come from each parent and the same for them. The recipe does not give you the same pie each time you bake it. There is a lot of variability thrown in! Plus, people often just do not know all the details.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #18
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
My mother spent years developing a detailed genealogy for our family, going back to the 1600’s when ancestors emigrated to this country from Europe - before we were a country! It was a great hobby for her. I always loved teasing her by saying the whole thing was one good lie away from being completely wrong. 🤣

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante
I always loved teasing her by saying the whole thing was one good lie away from being completely wrong. ��
��
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I did the Ancestry DNA test about two years ago. My pie chart came back with no slices at all. I was deemed to be 100% from one country. This was pretty much what I expected based upon what I know of my family history. I am second generation American on my Father's side and third generation American on my Mother's side. I did think that I would have some trace amounts from other places. Suspicious of the results, I called Ancestry DNA, and asked if anyone is really 100% anything. The lady that I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable. She told me that one hundred percenters are somewhat rare, but not unheard of.

I have found a number of distant cousins through Ancestry DNA. This did not surprise me as my Mother was the fifth of seventeen children. There were
forty-one first cousins on my generation level. My mother had me very late in life, and most of my first cousins are no longer living. I have more second cousins than you can shake a stick at. One of the people that contacted me is my third cousin.

I plan to do the 23 and Me DNA Test in the near future. I just want to see if it comes out the same as the Ancestry DNA Test.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote