Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Balrgn, I hope we find one too, I am optimistic we will!
Jani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

wow, Sneakinup! That looks like a beautiful job you did ! You did the work yourself?
I think that is a good point, about being able to redo them as you please,and not to have to strickly stick to the original features and furnishings. That is what I actually want to do, but mostly just decorative, not so much restorative! I like your little Zolotone saying on the bottom!lol!
Old 04-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Hi Rluhr, Thanks for telling me that about the price, I thought it was high. I have been doing a lot of research about the prices too. We actually didn't find out much about the mechanicals, the seller said they all worked, but maybe we didn't really believe him that much, because he thought the inside was fine too.

And I want to thank everybody else who answered me back, I am filled with renewed anticipation in finding the right unit for us! I was disappointed and felt like I had to tell the story here, and now I know it was the right thing to do; and I feel a lot better.
THANKS ALL !
Jani
Old 04-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Barry!
That's the kind of story that makes me feel like continuing our search and not just settling on just any old RV. I do like the old Prowlers though, and thought about maybe getting one of those to use in the meantime. I do really value old things, I try to make use of older things instead of buying new. There's such a huge craze now to have everything New and Improved! I watch those HGTV shows, and they take perfectly nice rooms and homes and re-do them and I'm like , "what for?" (money is the answer to that i guess.) jani
Old 04-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Tarheel, You make a good point about the plastic bins! That sounds easy, just taking them into the house and back into the rv like that! And your 74 sounds like it came out nice...what did you get now? a new one?
jani
Old 04-17-2005, 09:25 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Jani, my husband and I just bought a '71 31'. I don't like the dark look or the plastic. The first thing that went was the tub. Awful!! We have had her only two weeks and have taken alot out and plan to go with nicer looking woods. Watching the overall weight of course. The plumbing,electrical and flooring are in great shape, so it want be a major overhaul. We found one small area of water damage that will be easy to replace. We paid $6000.00 and felt like that was a fair price. Good luck in your quest. We drove six hours to get ours and it was worth the trip. early
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:31 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani
Kevin, thank you for all the info. You sound like you liked your old Prowler too. I have seen a few of those online lately, but not as many as old Airstreams.
I know some people wouldn't like the new ones, but we thought they were excellent. We had been to an RV show the week before we saw them, and they just blew the other rvs out of the water! But they're a bit steep for us...we'd rather not get tied to a large debt.
jani

Jani- My sister and b-in-law paid about $10,000 for a tricked out pop-up.
That is about the same as I paid for a 1984-31ft Excella that needed a water heater, new tires, and some basic cosmetic cleaning up and leak chasing..(Parrbond seams, paint tounge and lower banana wrap, etc.)
I think I have 10 times the RV that my sister does even though they can pull the pop-up with a mini-van and I had to go to a 2500 Duramax Diesel to be able to feel comfortable towing mine.
Oh well...Ha!...at least I can pull to the side of the road and use my own bathroom, while she has to still hunt a clean restroom while on the road.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
There is nothing wrong with the 70's models other than they were built with 70's mentality and 70's technology.
How many plastic tubs do you have from 1975 at home?
They didn't call the '70's "the plastic age" for nothin'...
Our 1972 has the plastic drawers, but most everything else is wood, in one form or another, or aluminum. If and when the plastic drawers fail, we will have to take a look at how to replace them with something sturdier-looking, but as it is right now, all the plastic drawers and bins are intact and functional. One good thing about plastic, if it gets wet it doesn't rot, or crumble to powder like particle board.
And yes, we do have some plastic bowls (Tupperware) from the 1970's still in use.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #49
Craftsman

Just aheads-up; I will be selling my 1976 31' Sovereign in a few months . I am rebuilding most of the interior in Oak , but have taken steps to keep it light weight. It has new mini blinds and new drapes from James Ambruso. Also wheels and tires from a new Classic., It will also have new quality carpet in the front and wood floors throughout the rest.It is a center bath with rear twins and all systems are working. The body is in excellent condition but has the usual cloudy clear coat at the roof line. I found two of the gold colored fitted twin bed covers that i don't think were ever used. If someone needs them they are free to a good home. Just pay for postage. We are buying a new 34' LTD. (non slide) when the 76 is sold.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2005, 07:14 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Jani - the more I thought about the 70's look the more I thought about me and my 70's look as a banker, white tie, black shirt, out to a dance in bell bottom looks like some sort of tweed pants, heels on shoes that would give me a nose bleed today. I probably liked harvest gold appliances when I had hair. I left banking and got into plastics because that's where the money was - everything was plastic if it was trendo. Thank heavens computers came along to provide a more appetizing career path. Not sad to see all that in the long past, but remembered fondly what it was like to have hair. Oh well, a trip down memory-lane now and again doesn't hurt, and I wonder what people will think in 25 to 30 years of us today and our choices. Not that I'll be here to see. My brother and his wife had an older Prowler for years, they loved it and treated it like all trailers should be treated, then on a whim sold it cheap and bought a fifth wheel and have regretted selling the Prowler ever since. The one issue with the older ones is to make sure you get one that's not had roof or window leaks. Fixing the rot and mold that comes with that is a major job. Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Hi Early, It sounds like you got a good deal and a nice Airstream! That kind of fix-up is absolutely worth it! And we don't mind driving a distance to see them either. Thanks for the reply and good wishes.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Hi David, I know what you mean! I've been looking on online rv sites, and the pop-ups and smaller trailers leave a lot to be desired. I mean, I could make use of one, but it's just not the same 'styling' as an Airstream. Lately, though, I have been tempted to see an old Prowler that is in my neighborhood for sale.It is really 70's kitch, and I like that too. Also, there is a Travco MH on ebay that looks like an Airstream, and it's kind-of interesting. jani
Old 04-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

You know ,I was thinking if I still had any of those old tupperware things from the 70's and sad to say, I don't. My mom had a ton of them and they were great, MUCH better than the cheap new ones from Glad or whatever. I'm sure the new tupperware is good too. :P
Old 04-19-2005, 08:23 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Hi Craftsman, The 76 Sovereign sounds really nice, but I think the weight would be too much for my truck. I'm sure it will be SO MUCH better than the ones I saw previously!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Hi Barry,
Boy , do I remember the 70's like that too! Except I still have hair,lol!... the bellbottoms and corkease and lots of great music too. I wouldn't mind doing a trailer in that theme. It is more than nostalgic, it is good memories too.
I saw an old Prowler on ebay, all orange and funky floral upholstery, it had like 30 bids! It was cool, but too far away, in oregon or washington.
I often wonder what the kids of today will say of us, I don't want to think about what they will say about the 'George W' years and the war and the economy. They will probably blame us for not setting things right for them. I guess all we can do is start with our own kids, give them good values, and hope for the best. ;-)