Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Buyer Beware - 2000 Classic For Sale

Stay clear of the following trailer:

http://www.rvtrader.com/rvdetail.php?id=70994

I drove 2000 miles (Austin, TX - Robinson, IL) this weekend with the intention of purchasing the above mentioned trailer. The seller told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. He assured me I'd be happy with it but when I got there I discovered he was full of #$@&. Turns out every panel on the rear end cap had been removed and reattached with Olympic Rivets. You can NOT see this from the pictures they have online. What made it even worse was that whoever did the repair had no idea what they were doing. Each of the Olympic rivets looked like someone tried using a Dremel on them instead of a rivet shaver and there were even a few screws here and there instead of rivets. Also if you look at the coach dead center from the rear the roof line angles down to the right. Also, inside the coach in the rear bedroom the aluminum innerskin is pushed down a few inches in various spots and quite wavy. Looks like something really heavy (maybe a tree) fell on the rear roof of the trailer and someone tried to remove the rear panels, straighten the ribs, and then reattach new panels. Someone that doesn't know what to look for might get taken by this guy so watch out!!!!!!!!! You win some and you lose some - at least I refused to put down a "Non-Refundable" deposit before I went out there. Thanks, Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Sorry to hear you travelled so far to be disappointed.

What question(s) will you ask next time since you were assured that this one was in such great shape?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow - I think I would be a bit mad - however, I can say been there done that - its amazing how some - fortunately it is the minority - will try to stick it to people. One tip off though is the 10,000 off book and a non refundable deposit - he knew something was wrong with the unit.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I don't know anything you can ask people like that. They will say anything, absolutely anything, fully knowing you are devoting a huge amount of time and money to get there, on the assumption that somehow you will fail to notice that the fire burned out the interior and part of the roof.

I am sure many of us could share similar horror stories about cars, trucks, rvs, etc.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Craftsman

Someone who didn't know what to look for just may well be taken. It looks like a very nice unit from the photo's. I think a lot of people get taken in by the excitement of purchasing and can be blinded by the flaws. You knew what to look for, but someone new to Airstream could very easily get burned. Once you make that big purchase you have along time to live with it. The forum should put together a printable checklist for buying used.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
What question(s) will you ask next time since you were assured that this one was in such great shape?
I thought I asked all the right questions before I went out. This was a used car lot that does not deal in travel trailers. Their story went - "We usually don't sell travel trailers but I picked this one up at auction at an excellent price and thought I could make some money on it." Either these people really had no clue or they were trying to scam someone. I asked for additional pictures before going out which they couldn't provide - said their friend had taken the pictures for them and they didn't have access to a digital camera. Also had at least 5 conversations with them before going out there. Even had them walk out to the trailer with me on the phone and look over the entire exterior checking for dents, scrapes, etc before I left. They assured me everything was straight and true and that I would not be dissappointed. Joe
Old 01-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Clearly, just another typical used car dealer trying to make a fast buck. He bought the trailer somplace not knowing ONE thing about Airstreams, and then got a potential informed buyer in Barkingspider.
On a white box trailer, it might not have mattered as the repairs were white box quality.
The seller is just one idiot looking for another.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
...One tip off though is the 10,000 off book...
Now that I think about it, was the Airstream, in its present condition, worth it with what appears to be a substantial price reduction?

Sure, the angled or dented sheet metal can not be easily fixed, but a bunch of new Olympic rivets & a shaver would pretty up the outside.

Just curious.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Now that I think about it, was the Airstream, in its present condition, worth it with what appears to be a substantial price reduction?

Sure, the angled or dented sheet metal can not be easily fixed, but a bunch of new Olympic rivets & a shaver would pretty up the outside.

Just curious.

Tom
Tom - If someone were willing to invest the time and energy in this trailer it may or may not be worth it. You just don't know what it looks like underneath the repair. There could be substantil structural damage and you wouldn't know unless you took it all back apart again. Based on the way the repairs were done I don't have a lot of faith in what's underneath. Especially if it was dented in enough to cave in the interior skin.

FYI - If someone is truly interested in the unit I negotiated them down to $15K before I drove out there. He may take even less now. As I was leaving I asked him what he paid at auction - he said $13K and sounded sincere.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
One tip off though is the 10,000 off book. . . . . .

Ken
Is it really $10,000 off book? It looks like book is only $26,250.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Maybe the 10,000 off book is another sellers lie - - - - - -

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Maybe the 10,000 off book is another sellers lie - - - - - -

Ken
Yeah, that's what I thot, too - - - - - - - -
Old 01-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Yeah, that's what I thot, too - - - - - - - -
I ran it through NADA online, with the standard options, and got $29050.00 as average retail, $26000.00 as low retail.
If it was $13,000 I MIGHT take a look, maybe.
Terry
Old 01-17-2005, 05:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Somewhere there is a thread listing volunteers to do a pre view. The list covers the entire US and is always an option before flying out.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
3 new panels = around $3600 to be replaced right
Old 01-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Sorry to hear abot your long and unfruitful trip. We had a similar experience and drove 2200 miles roundtrip to look an argosy the ownersaid was in great shape. It wasn't - the floor was rotted, it had big dents in the upper endcaps, leaked and smelled like cat pee. We turned around after 5 minutes and headed home.
But.... we did learn alot and eventually found a trailer that we love. The one we purchased was only 5 hours down the road and one state away. Keep looking.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Volunteer Inspectors list

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
Somewhere there is a thread listing volunteers to do a pre view. The list covers the entire US and is always an option before flying out.
Yes, there is -- and it's always found in the "Our Community" forum, or by clicking here

This experience is exactly why people all over the country have volunteered to inspect Airstreams. Don't drive 500 or more miles to buy an Airstream without checking the list first! It's a great resource and free to boot!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
I ran it through NADA online, with the standard options, and got $29050.00 as average retail, $26000.00 as low retail.
If it was $13,000 I MIGHT take a look, maybe.
Terry
I used the NADA page on the RV Trader site and go $26,250 average and $21,790 low. I don't know why your number is higher.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
The more I read this thread the more this trailer sounds like a bargain.I wonder what it would cost to get it towed up here.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I'm sure that trailer needs a good home with someone but it definitely isn't going to be me. I was strictly involved in this one as a money making proposition and based on the repairs that had to be made I didn't see a profit coming out of it - at least not a worthwhile one. I am sure it would be a good deal for someone that wanted a newer Classic that was willing to put the time and effort into it. Based on the extent of the repairs I don't think it would be a phenomenal deal but you would probably end up spending below low retail when all was said and done. But then again the trailer should be valued at below low retail even after the repairs are done due to the extent of the damage. I would never pay the same amount for a car that had been repaired (even properly) vs a car that had never been wrecked.

A few more items to make any potential buyers aware of:

1. Entire front tongue of trailer had lots of rust. Plan to sandblast and repaint.
2. Dent in lower curb side rear quarter panel (right below belt line about 2 inches across). This panel had not been removed but would need to be replaced if you wanted it to look like new.
3. Two bolts inserted in lower street side quarter panel. Don't know why. This panel also had not been replaced - but again would need to be if the intent was to bring it up to "like new".
4. Interior Aluminum panels above street side bed and bathroom had signifigant bows. Structural ribs are the likely causes of the bows.
5. Rear plastic bumper has a few cracks.
6. Dent in front street side quarter panel. Right above the lower rock guards. About a quarter in diameter.

These are just the items I noticed in my 10 minute tour. I'm sure that someone spending more time could find quite a bit more wrong with this unit.

Joe