Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #261
Rivet Master

OTRA, thanks for your input. There are 2 coach/house batteries..1 main+ 1 auxiliary=2 !!
And, yes, the fridge/freezer is meant to be used at any time camping, whether with full hookups, while driving, or while boondocking. That is why my first evaluation was with the minimal use that one would need....a functional fridge/freezer to provide food while traveling or camping.

I do understand that when dry camping, I must be alert to battery readings and use gen judiciously to maintain adequate battery charges. I learned that even with everything off, if propane switch is in on position, it will have a parasitic draw. Now, it is off. Learning about this complex machine....bit by bit!!

On anther subject....checking my credit card today, used at trading post....fraudulent charge was credited back to my account. Lesson learned....examine all transaction slips and receipts....never assume all is correct. Make sure you are given an accurate receipt!
And keep receipts and check them against all charges. Sometimes, gas stations don't give receipts at pump....too lazy to change the paper rolls? It is to my benefit to go inside and get a receipt. Especially when traveling....there are people who may take advantage!!
Know what you spend and where...receipts to prove it!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:33 AM   #262
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Evelyn: Also at pumps look for a suspicious or different "slot" to put the credit card into as it could be a "reader" planted by a thief. In addition when eating out we no longer allow the wait person to take our credit card away, simply do not. If necessary I tell them I will accompany them to the reader they use.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #263
Rivet Master

Good point, Bud. It is a shame that we must now be at the point of paranoia, to protect ourselves from dishonesty while traveling or at home. It appears....as we work hard ...all our lives to provide a pleasant life for us....the criminal element work harder to find a way to take it away. Only a small part of the changing world in which we live! Makes one yearn for the days gone by....the days of innocence....or was it just ignorance....what we did not know!

The latest horror of the terrorist attack at the Turkish airport: 3 terrorists shooting and suicide bombing.... Have caused 43 deaths and over 200 injuries. God bless those who have suffered at the hands of those savages! Our prayers are with them. These tragedies are occurring all too frequently.

I believe that we who choose to travel by RV...with trailers or MOTORHOME....are less likely to be victims of such monsters. They want the highest victim count and target those areas that are most likely to get more victims. We must still be vigilant and not assume we are absolutely immune.

I refuse to be afraid, as I continue to enjoy my travels, I choose my destinations carefully.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
What she has is the super-efficient Danfoss compressor fridge that runs on 12 or 120 volts. It is designed for boondocking, and with good sun on the solar panels should do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #265
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
What she has is the super-efficient Danfoss compressor fridge that runs on 12 or 120 volts. It is designed for boondocking, and with good sun on the solar panels should do just fine.
Thanks, so do you figure the new batteries are also bad? There is another thread where the trailer owner got new Interstate batteries replaced by an Interstate store under the warranty. They commented that they had never seen both batteries fail at the same time.

See Post 12 here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...rs-152327.html

Maybe Interstate had a run of bad batteries?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #266
Rivet Master

As my batteries are Lifeline AGM, I would expect them to be efficient. Goliath is now at the storage facility, so, not easily accessible for constant monitoring. Absolutely everything is off, including the propane switch, so, I expect to find the charge unchanged from my recent readings. We shall see.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:51 AM   #267
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Evelyn I do not know Interstates but do know Airstreams and I'll bet you have a carbon monoxide warning device of some kind in the coach which cannot be turned off and has a 12v draw. Not much but it is there, and there also could be something else as well.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:27 AM   #268
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Maybe Interstate had a run of bad batteries?
Any battery that I know of will go bad if it's allowed to sit in a discharged state for a long period of time. A dealer with multiple vehicles on their lot for sale usually does not have the resources to keep all those batteries charged. Something called sulfate forms on the lead plates in the battery (I forget the exact chemistry) and once that happens, the battery will not hold a charge.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:21 AM   #269
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Evelyn I do not know Interstates but do know Airstreams and I'll bet you have a carbon monoxide warning device of some kind in the coach which cannot be turned off and has a 12v draw. Not much but it is there, and there also could be something else as well.

Bud
You also may have an LP gas alarm that is hot wired to the battery. It's a constant drain.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #270
Rivet Master

Hey, guys! Some good news! 6/29 readings with no load:Main 12.9 Aux 12.07.

We went to the RV storage lot to move from a Non electric site to an electric hookup site. I took readings before hooking up to electricity: No load: (Solar panel input):
Main 12.98 Aux 14.25!!! BEFORE ELECTRIC HOOKUP!

This being the case, I assume that the batteries had not been fully charged prior to installation, (as someone mentioned earlier)! I was shocked to see 14.25 on aux battery, and checked it 3-4 times! I will be interested to see what readings are when I go back to storage lot in a couple days, after electric connection.

I will continue to evaluate and if the batteries maintain a good charge , will probably cancel appt. for diagnostics at dealer. (They would be happy to charge me big $$$$ for nothing).
Old 07-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #271
Rivet Master

At 6:am this morning, my 30 year old grand daughter called to tell me she was in hospital being prepared for emergency abdominal surgery. Her Mom, my daughter, Deb lives with me.

We dressed and went to hospital, where we learned from the nurses, Nicole was apparently born with a significantly rare condition. Her colon and portions of small intestine are located on opposite side of her abdomen from natural position!

CT scan revealed portions of the intestine were twisted around other parts, causing loss of blood supply. Fortunately, the attending surgeon is an excellent surgeon that I had worked with over several years while I was an operating room nurse some 25 years ago. He was a fledgling MD/surgeon at the time, and I have been aware of his progress over the years, to present day, as he is highly regarded in the surgical community. She is so lucky he is on call this holiday weekend.

Even more impressive, so compassionate and caring to this young lady and her family this morning. Before she was taken to surgery, he asked if we would allow a prayer for Nicole and for the surgical team to give the 'best of their talents' to Nicole during her surgery and recuperation. How unusual is that!? And so very appreciated!

Afterward, he came to waiting room and gave Deb, John, her Dad, Kevin her boyfriend, and I ...full details of resulting surgical intervention, expected recuperation, etc.

Nicole was planning on going on a local camping trip to Chatfield SP next Monday, (1 week from tomorrow), With me. Of course, this trip will need to be delayed for us both, as she will come to my home for nursing care upon discharge from hospital in a week or so. We will try for first week in August, if possible. She so wants, and I think, needs this little trip. We just never know what each day will bring! But, family is always ready to support each other ....no matter what the future brings. That is what family does!
Old 07-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #272
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's kind of scary, Evelyn.

Glad it all turned out okay.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #273
Rivet Master

Thanks, Maggie. She was in intense pain and very frightened. She, as well as all of us, we're very relieved that her surgeon, being on call for his group this holiday weekend....is one that I know and trust completely.

She is doing as well as could be expected today. We had a little walk around the hall loop today, her 2nd today, and she did well. I've had her doing deep breathing and coughing exercises to care for her post op lungs. She appreciates having her own "nurse Nana" here. I will not have it any other way. I'll be here everyday she is here, then, take her home with me to recuperate. That's what Nanas do!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #274
Rivet Master

I'm having a bit of an "introspective day" today....disappointed, to say the least. It seems, for some people...nothing is ever enough.... Anyway, sorry if I'm being a whiner, but, once I realize I'm being manipulated and taken advantage of....well, perhaps it is time to "step away".

The granddaughter is a bit too much drama for me right now. I have been at her side, giving nursing care and support, no matter how tired I am. I am exhausted, so, I'm taking a break. It should be someone else's turn now. Some people make it very hard to be devoted and caring. This one is milking it for all it's worth.....called me at daybreak yesterday, with a long list of "things she needs"....which I dutifully filled. This morning, calls me with unrealistic expectations, then, when I could not satisfy her immediately, she became belligerent! Whoa! Over the limit! Yesterday, her Nana nurse was her hero...today, her ??whipping post?? I don't think so!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #275
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Even within family it would seem that no good deed goes unpunished. One learns i guess.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For some people, however much you do it is never enough. Ingratitude is part of their nature.

Not your fault, her attitude, Evelyn, and not to be taken onto your shoulders.

When you are able, might tell her how you feel.

She might not like it, but she may need to hear it.

Take care of yourself,

Maggie
Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #277
Rivet Master

Thanks, guys. I did not mean to whine or complain, but, as Gearheart says, "no good deed goes unpunished"!

And, yes, Maggie, I realize where the problem lies. That does not make it any easier to reconcile this type of behavior. This girl is and has been ...for a long time..., as some in her age group might say...A HOT MESS!

As you know, a Nana's love is unending and unconditional. In spite of her history, when one I love is hurt, I am ready and willing to help. She is very ill, the surgery is successful, she is on the mend. She does, however, have some problems this surgery cannot address. That is where the problem lies. I will still be there to help....if she is receptive. I love her, that will not change, but, the verbal abuse and manipulation are not to be tolerated. Not by me, anyway.

As I said, I'm stepping back...Taking care of me today. Others can handle this little drama princess. I think she may learn, fairly soon...Nana put up with much more than most will...then, again, she may not....her problem, not mine.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Sometimes a little tough love is the best kind. Hang in there, Nana! Encourage her to understand that her wants are not always her needs.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #279
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Adventures OUTSIDE COMFORT ZONE!

I can give you some feedback on that style of fridge. I have a danforth Dometic chest fridge/freezer, 2 6 volt batteries and 200w of solar on my trailer. For a 24 hour window I need 3-4 hours of full sun to keep up with my usage. No phantom loads at all, no 12 v to any appliance only a couple if LED lights and possibly a small fan.

Without the Dometic, I start the day off at 90/92% battery on my trimetric, mostly from a fantastic fan all night. Full recharge by mid morning. With the Dometic turned on it starts at 80% in the morning and takes most of the day to recharge to 100%.

I equate the Dometic to running a fantastic fan 24/7.

Less solar and more loads will quickly get me into a loosing pattern, I couldn't keep up with only 100w and a bunch of other small draws.

Edit. I usually start off each morning in the very low 12 volt range, 12.2?, and the solar pumps it up to 14.2 then holds it for 2 hours for a top off charge before dropping back to 13 for the rest of the day.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #280
Rivet Master

Thanks, Mimi. This 30 year old girl has other history, prior to this surgical event. Unfortunately, those problems reared their ugly head in the midst of her stay on a surgical ward after life threatening situation. These issues, other than the surgical intervention, are not easily addressed in this environment.

Treatment is required, but, first she must face her problem.....and she is not at all willing to do so. I fear for her, I pray for her...not much else I can do beyond that. I became embroiled in her manipulation attempts early this morning, thinking her call to me was a genuine request for my help. Now I have serious doubts about that.

She's in a hospital....on a surgical ward.....not where this problem needs to be addressed. Her Mom went to see her today. Her Dad and brother make excuses for her. I attempt to make her face real facts. That doesn't go over too well. Others "don't want to upset her". I am afraid for the phone call that may come some day. I don't want to be her buddy, as do her parents and brother. I am her Nana...if I can't show her the truth, who can?!

Her abdominal surgery will mend.....with or without my intervention. Her historical issues that are glaring today...will require much more than a surgeon's talent. I wish it could be that simple! God help her!