Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #4821
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is cold here, but I have fire and hot coffee...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56402E06-0F98-4180-9576-5EC30837F24C.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	300743  
Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #4822
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

A proper teapot is a sign that a civilized cup of tea is on the way[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

We carry a similar one at all times..even when we were tent camping! Wife is a Brit, and a proper cup of tea requires the right tools...and water at the right temperature.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #4823
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I can do without a tea pot, as I like 12-15oz mugs...it’s the water preparation I need to feel with greater finesse, for lack of a better word.

My son has an electric kettle or some such thing that brings water to the proper temperature, but I’m not quite that fussy...I do know not to boil nor re-use the water, also prefer loose tea when I am at home.

On the road, I use bags...Earl Grey my most favorite, followed by Constant Comment.

I love when ordering tea at a restaurant when they bring you a pot for your tea, rather than hot water in a cup with a bag...like tea is served in England and Ireland, where they presume you are in for a couple of cups before you’re done.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #4824
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Maggie, liking your kettle .
Old 12-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #4825
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think it will be the perfect size for the Interstate, and I will smile every time I use it.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #4826
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I can do without a tea pot, as I like 12-15oz mugs...it’s the water preparation I need to feel with greater finesse, for lack of a better word.

My son has an electric kettle or some such thing that brings water to the proper temperature, but I’m not quite that fussy...I do know not to boil nor re-use the water, also prefer loose tea when I am at home.

On the road, I use bags...Earl Grey my most favorite, followed by Constant Comment.

I love when ordering tea at a restaurant when they bring you a pot for your tea, rather than hot water in a cup with a bag...like tea is served in England and Ireland, where they presume you are in for a couple of cups before you’re done.

Maggie
Have used several electric kettles, but our go-to at home is a very old Mr. Coffee-type brewer of indeterminate age used ONLY for getting water to the proper temperature for tea...and for hot water to warm the Dogs' food..(grin)

"Tea, Earl Gray, Hot" is our favorite replicator command around here, but unfortunately, Alexa says she's not programmed for that...so we have to use teabags. Another fave around here is English Breakfast, followed by the old American standard, Lipton..which gets stocked in 204 bag bulk boxes from Costco or Sam's Club...

Funny thing about restaurant tea in the little pot--even tough it's usually Lipton, somehow it tastes better...fresher, perhaps. Don't know.

But yeah, we go through a LOT of tea...
Old 12-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #4827
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Years ago, when I was almost exclusively a tea drinker...before Doug converted me to coffee ...I made my morning tea in one of those small, 4 cup coffee makers, putting tea in the paper filter where coffee would ordinarily go.

Delicious, and loose tea just tastes better than bagged.

It gets more difficult to find loose tea in the grocery stores, so when I do I stock up....it’s not going to go bad.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #4828
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Much of our loose tea comes from Asian markets. Grand variety of flavors and qualities can be had there.

Sadly, our other source of good (but pricey) loose tea, the Teavana website is going away, and I'm not sure the stores are surviving this change either... We've stocked up on favorites...
Old 12-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #4829
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Maggie; Dana has a silicon sauce pan and tea pot that has a metal bottom and folds. I can be used on the stove or hot plate. She got them on Amazon. $??? She carries them in the A$.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #4830
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I saw the silicone teapot, but just couldn’t wrap my head around that.

I think I’ll be very happy with the stainless steel one, which is sturdy, simple and rather old fashioned looking...I like.

Maggie
Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #4831
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Maggie; Dana has a silicon sauce pan and tea pot that has a metal bottom and folds. I can be used on the stove or hot plate. She got them on Amazon. $??? She carries them in the A$.
I have the silicone teapot, since it will never have anything but hot water in it.

However, strictly speaking the silicone cookware is not really food-safe. Food-safe materials do not absorb odors or stains from food, and to not impart tastes, odors, or stains to food. After I ruined a silicone saucepan with spaghetti sauce that left a permanent stain in the saucepan, I vowed never to use it again.

And yes, I do recognize the irony of cookware that's not food-safe. But then again, many years ago I had an aluminum pot that corroded when I heated spaghetti sauce (can't remember if it was Prego or Ragu, but from a jar regardless) in it, so that aluminum cookware wasn't really food-safe either.

Or maybe, since spaghetti sauce was the culprit in both cases, perhaps spaghetti sauce isn't really food?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #4832
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My new teakettle is currently in Ohio....

Been up to see my sweet, longtime hairdresser this morning, and she has given me a slightly new “do”.

After we retired in 2007, I grew my mop of hair out from its short, layered, professional look to shoulder length or beyond...so I could put it up, off my neck, not have to mess with it, try to get a good cut on the road, etc....still easy and low maintenance, which is what I like, but not stylish as that matters little to me.

Getting older, including my hair , years of pulling it back or clipping it up has thinned the top, so I am now slightly shorter with some layers..and I’m going to make myself wear it down in the winter months, to give the top a break and for something different.

I haven’t worn my hair down since about 1996 or so, and I have an entirely different head of hair than I did then...mostly grey, and no longer straight, but with lots of curl.

I think it will be kind of fun, and I deserve a bit of that...next time I have on real makeup, I’ll take a rare selfie.

I was almost afraid to open my news pages this morning, for fear of what I would read, but breathed a sigh of relief that enough people stepped up and did the right thing.

I tell ya, it’s hard to watch what is happening and being exposed in this country...the incredible tolerance that has apparently built up behind the scenes, and over decades, for criminal sexual assault by people with power.

Victims being mostly minors and women, but not exclusively, and those who knew taking no action then and struggling to do so now.

I’m a product of my experiences, as are we all, and admit to being more than a bit jaded with regard to human nature...which doesn’t always serve me well, but there it is, and there’s no erasing it... but the sheer numbers and extent across various walks of life here are a bit startling, even to me.

People are having the strength to come forward, and we must support them...as individuals, and by holding their perpetrators accountable.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #4833
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My little teakettle arrived on Saturday, and it is not only adorable but perfectly and proportionately sized for my Interstate. I love it.

Took the train to Chicago the other day, and did the usual poking around, a bit of shopping, lunch out, etc....a lifelong, before-Christmas tradition that began when I was a child and my Mom took us up to see the intricate holiday displays in the windows of Marshall Fields.

The air was cold and crisp, and the city beautifully resplendent in holiday decorations.

I am enjoying my new hair, but it is still a bit odd to feel it on my shoulders all day ...no selfie yet, tho I am not nor am I interested in becoming high maintenance I need to learn some simple styling as it is unstructured to a fault, I think.

Yesterday the amazing Miss Emma had two solos in the Christmas Program at church, and Grandma was of course there...she has a lovely, clear voice, and is gaining some real confidence in projecting it. What a sweetie.

I am finding some real respite from the news headlines in rejoicing over Prince Harry’s engagement and enjoying a lengthy book entitled “Plantation Trilogy”, which chronicles several fictitious familes in what eventually becomes Louisiana...beginning in the 1700’s, and thru World War I.

The book was meticulously researched, and is chock full of incredible detail about 150 or so years of plantation life and times....people, clothing, building materials, architecture, crops, language, hardships, lifestyle, foods, etc.

The story is told from several different perspectives, I am on book 3, and have really enjoyed it...the life described cannot be far different from that of my own ancestors, who settled in southern Mississippi in the early 1800’s.

As I said, mental respite from the reality of our world these days...a good thing, and I like.

On the final countdown to heading south for a few months, this week will be spent getting Lily’s shots, organizing and adding to my to-go pile in the back bedroom, pulling clothing together...next week after Christmas I will have the grands for a few days, then a family do on Saturday, then we’re off.

I’m ready, and looking forward to it.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #4834
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie maybe when you are out with the grands you can take some selfies with them.

They are so good at it and make it more fun and less self conscious.

Several years ago we decided to do the Costco Christmas cards with photos and it had been nice. I have no problem finding Airstream pictures to put on the card. Finding decent pictures of hubby and I is another thing.

We get to laughing, cringing and feeling silly with our selfie sticks and tummies sucked in that we usually just take a few and give up.

Looking forward to seeing the new do.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #4835
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thats an idea, Hittenstiehl.

I got a Christmas card last week that has a couple with all of their grandchildren, which was very nice.

Baking a loaf of bread today, and bought a ham to bake tomorrow....I want it to eat, but mostly to have the smell in the house.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #4836
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie. MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY NEW YEAR, SAFE TRAVELS! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #4837
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn, and the same to you.

Maggie
Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #4838
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily had her vaccinations and checkup at the vet this morning....she’s lost 1 1/2 pounds since this time last year ...and, as always, compliments on her sweet disposition and good behavior.

Plus, a new collar....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8601DC96-76C5-436F-B8CB-C13637AD23E9.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	301147  
Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #4839
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A proper cuppa tea is the only civilized way to go. I may have been the only police officer in NJ that did not drink coffee. (not really, but not many). My guys would bring me tea from a local DD that tasted like dirty dishwater. One night I went to get my own and found out why. They put milk into an empty cup than added the water and tea bag. Uggggh. Nasty. They guy making it was from India so I asked if he drank tea. He said yes he did. I said, do you make your tea that way ??? He said NO. So, I said: then don't make mine that way either. If you can't add the water hot enough than don't do it. Only a tea drinker would appreciate this. I guess with coffee it doesn't really matter. AND, never microwaved water. A proper kettle is a necessary travel accessory.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #4840
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Merry Christmas Maggie!!!

Hoping your New Year brings great travels, that Lily gets to experience new smells, and that the grands continue to make your life richer. And please keep posting...