Old 07-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #2619
Rivet Master

Enjoy the time with the little ones this week, Maggie. They grow up too fast. As usual, your fresh baked bread looks yummy!

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #2620
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
Sorry Maggie - I'm a bit late to your recent posts and I don't mean to bring up the grief thing but I do have thoughts about it. We all know the old saying about better to have loved and lost than not have loved at all. I think couples all go in knowing the risk of being separated at some point in life but we choose to be brave about it and get on with experiencing life together. I know it's a gut punch sometimes but maybe that grief is a reminder of Doug, from Doug that says "Hey, do you miss me?" And you have to grin through the tears and say "Darn right I do."

A few days ago I posted on Facebook something written by a man who passed away this past week but spent a lifetime not forgetting:

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of beauty is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death."

- Elie Wiesel

You got this Maggie. And I hope you got the chance to enjoy the grandkids.
Hi there, and thanks....you're exactly right, as was Elie Wiesel.

Grief is the price we pay for having loved, someone said....if you let yourself love someone deeply, the risk of wrenching pain at their loss goes hand in hand with it. Sigh.

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching a Downton Abbey rerun, where Carson and Mrs. Bates were married...."I now pronounce you husband and wife" choked me up, and brought me to tears, reminding me of our civil ceremony in front of a beloved juvenile judge we had worked with for many years.

I liked being "Doug's wife", one half of our "matched pair", and talked with him about that very thing at that very moment.

I was sure he was there, and listening, perhaps giving me a hug...because that's what he would have done in life.

I've suspected that teary moment, and the one in the grocery store last week, were prompted by his spirit, hovering close, because I don't have those teary moments often these days.

Looking back, I seemed to have been traveling to that low spot I experienced in Kentucky for awhile. A cumulative effect.

Maybe he wonders if I miss him, tho I certainly tell him that every single day...maybe he just needed to see me feel it.

It's better, at home, and I'm having a very social week, for me...I needed to spend time with friends, and I'm going to have four grands here this weekend, which will fill me up.

Their time will be spread between my house and my son's, due to planned activities there that they will include Alice in....the end result being constant contact, one place or the other, for this group....they will love it, and I will love it.

Moderate and dry temps are in store for the weekend, so we'll do a fire in the fire pit, roast hot dogs and marshmallows, eat on the patio and they can play in the back yard.

And, it will be good.

Maggie

Old 07-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #2621
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A friend from high school who is home from California spent the day with me, and we had a lovely visit.

Don't you just cherish people in your life with whom you can just pick up where you left off, even if you haven't seen them in a year?

People who make an effort to stay in your heart....they are the best.

I bought Lily some new dog chews the other day, to which she has had an adverse intestinal reaction. They are going back for a refund tomorrow.

Not extreme, but persistent, for now day 3, and she isn't eating but just a little each day. Clearly not feeling quite up to snuff, but nose is cold and wet, otherwise active and seems fine...but for the persistent gastrointestinal distress.

Time for intervention.

I cooked up some rice, and mixed it with a jar of chicken baby food. She ate it right up, and I'm going to give her some more this evening.

Will report back.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #2622
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
When our golden retriever, Skipper, had gastrointestinal issues, we would always cook up a batch of plain white rice, very plain boneless chicken, and feed him that combo for a couple of days until things calmed down. Hope the same approach works for you!

<edit> Oh, and canned pumpkin. That stuff is like magic for calming irritated doggie insides...at least it was for him. </edit>

We had to stop him chewing up sticks and eating the ferns that grow around here, as both of those things proved problematic - splinters and bark chips from the chewed sticks in the first case, and who knows what in the second.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #2623
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a couple of jars of chicken baby food, so just mixed one of those into some rice. Had bought them to make a homemade dog treat with wheat germ, just never got around to making them.

She's had a couple of cups of that mixture today, may try her on some pumpkin in the morning if things don't seem to have...ahem...stalled out.

She seems in no distress, other than not eating, and I was just reading something about dogs self-fasting when they have digestive issues...that's exactly what she's been doing.

Am hoping that whatever has upset her system has worked its way out.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #2624
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
My little Maltese gets terrible gassy upsets if she gets ahold of rawhide chews... I make a huge effort to keep them away from her as most of my friends have them laying around their houses for their dogs... just adding my 2 cents...
Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #2625
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for your 2cents.

Lily loves rawhide chews, and I have to give her small ones or they would be her primary food source.

These had chicken in them, and I hadn't bought them before. Doing some research after the fact, these types have been problematic for dogs before because they can contain some medication residue.

Have ordered her some made in America chews.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #2626
Rivet Master

Poor Lily! I hope she feels better soon.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #2627
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
When one of mine gets sick I always check their gums first, should be their normal color - pink not a bleached out look. Then I take their temperature - should be about 101.5 to 102.5, if above we go to the vet as dogs and temperatures above about 102.5 can get serious pretty quickly.

If using canned chicken of any kind try to press the water out as the product contains a lot of salt. We try to use actual chicken and boil it.

Our dogs were boarded two weeks ago and our "new" five year old started regurgitating her food, different than vomiting. Took her to the vet as she did same with water and had a slight temp. $500 later all was fine. Then she regurgitated again two nights ago, and of course we are scheduled to leave Saturday for three months. I've come to the conclusion that this time it's nerves caused by thunder.

Hope Lily gets well soon, it's tough to see our pets get ill as they can't actually tell us what is wrong and we so want to help them.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #2628
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
She didn't get me up in the night to put her outside, so that's a good sign, and has also eaten some of her regular dog food.

I might give her some pumpkin this morning, anyway, just because.

It won't hurt her, and I want to make sure the problem is resolved.

Going to see my chiropractor this am, take the Interstate to Blue Beacon, and do some other running, then picking up Miss Alice this afternoon in Galesburg for the weekend.

Looking forward to having my babies.

Maggie
Old 07-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #2629
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Miss Alice has been off with my son/his this morning to the Sugar Creek Arts Festival, and they will all be back here with me shortly.

I have baked cookies in their absence, because that's what I do.

Lily, day 5 after her first bout of gastrointestinal distress , finally seems back to normal.

Two days of rice with chicken, and pumpkin, seemed to set her straight, and she has begun eating her dog food again.

Having cool-ish weather today, which will allow for fire building and outdoor cooking after awhile.

Doug would say...Buddha smiles.

Maggie
Old 07-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #2630
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Yay for pumpkin and a little extra TLC.

BTW, dogs don't seem to care which way their digestive tract runs. When it ran in reverse, Skipper's reaction was usually something on the order of, "Hey, look, I just made food!"

We had to be fast.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #2631
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yuk!

Lily isn't interested in that...I came home from lunch with a friend the other day and there was a puddle-ish pile on my kitchen floor.

She looked at me very sheepishly when I came in, but I know she had to have been hard pressed to have left it in the house.

All better, now, and probably time to leave this subject in the past.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #2632
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The grands are off with my son/his for the day, I will have Alice back about 2 and set out to take her home.

It's been a lovely weekend.

This is a great group of children, and I love them so.

Two sets of very loving, highly functional...they aren't always, you know ...very conscientious parents, and their children have become wonderful pre-teens with the appropriate levels of internalized self control.

They need very little direction, tho they don't try much with Grandma , and are just a joy to have with me.

Fortunate children, and I am one lucky Grandma.

Each with their respective electronics....they are 21st Century children, after all ....they have played a lot of Minecraft together, and had a blast. Alice, being an only child, has played it by herself but this is her first opportunity at co-playing, and she has loved it.

Built a fire, roasted hot dogs and made s'mores last evening...easy, kid friendly, picnic/camping food. I can indulge them a bit when they are not with me that often.

I do feel a bit like Wonder Woman after these weekends, tho. Doug would call it self imposed pressure, and he would be right.

Having had a high stress career that absolutely required and demanded being able to think effectively on my feet, process information quickly and take appropriate action, that could not be more hard wired into me....what fires together, wires together, you know...so staying on top of things and getting things done while you have the opportunity is automatic pilot for me...and a bit hard to dial back a couple of notches when appropriate.

I have to make myself just sit back and watch them sometimes, rather than feeling a need to be doing something all the time.

Ahh, well, they love their Grandma and love to be here, so I guess it all balances itself out.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	266366  

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »