Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #3861
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow. We had a blackout here for awhile.

I have noticed pages loading sluggishly the past week or so...wonder if that was a precursor to the website going down.

At any rate, Jim....looking at Croton-on-Point, it looks like there are several train lines that go thru there, so I would suspect getting into the big city would not be a problem. I will make a point to ask.

I called the campground a bit ago to be sure I wouldn't have a problem getting in if I arrive after 5 pm, which seems exceedingly likely, and I will not....as long as I have a reservation, which I did not, without which the ranger will not let me up into the campground.

I have a reservation now.

There are apparently only a few sites open for "transients" thru the winter.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #3862
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We did not leave the dealership with the Interstate until almost 6pm...when I realized how late a start we were going to get, I thought spending the night in New Windsor was a better option, but the campground office was closed so I couldn't cancel.

Driving in the dark is not one of my favorite things these days.

GPS got us there in about an hour, thru moderate traffic, after a few wrong turns because her pronunciation of words on unfamiliar roads threw me....she also says "of course, check the map", when it is actually "off course, check the map".

Why I don't like my electronics to talk to me.

Winding my way into the campground in the frigging pitch black dark, the ranger had seen me come in and caught up with me to give me my registration packet. I couldn't see site numbers, much less park safely on my own, but we quickly determined that my assigned, full hookup site was occupied by an older Class A.

No one home to explain or ask them to move.

Amazingly, mid week this campground is almost full, with folks who appear settled in for the duration.

He helped me find an empty W/E site and, using my amazing LED lantern that I bought for the New Mexico trip, helped me park in what was obviously a barriered vehicle parking area that had had an electric hookup and water spigot added well behind it.

Is this SOP in east coast campgrounds?

But, electricity for the night got us settled in comfortably and I was grateful for the Rangers help, keeping me from wandering, alone and unseeing, in the darkness.

Going to walk Miss Lily and head down to the office after 8:30 am, to see what can be done about any other site, preferably a full hookup site...the bathhouse is closed, so a sewer connection would be nice.

In the early morning light, this looks to be a pretty, wooded campground...and nearly full, did I mention that?

Maggie
Old 03-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #3863
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Don't like those days when our best laid plans turn into option c when options a and b were well planned out and thought through.

I always say that is God working on my patience, for which I am not known.

Sounds like you managed it well "of course". Good of the ranger to come out and help you navigate the terrain.

Hopefully your designated spot opened up or a better spot presents itself today.

Enjoy your new surrounds.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #3864
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Hittenstiehl.

I am prone to impatience, forged I feel from years of being driven to get things done as quickly and in the most efficient way possible, because you never knew when the **** could hit the fan.

Your body gets wired to a certain type of response...

Working these days on being more patient, reminding myself that I live a different life now, and telling my inner me often that "this is meant to be a lesson in patience".

It's working, We're always a work in progress, and that's okay.

Lily had a good run this morning, and I got assigned a new site...out of one of just the very few open for winter here that is not already filled or reserved.

The person in my assigned site is not registered, but that is not my problem.

Made a run to the little grocer in town, got set up here, filled my fresh water and emptied my tanks just before it began to rain again.

Heavy storms are predicted here later, with much colder temps, but we are now set up, it is snug and warm inside, and so I am going to make a smallish pot of chicken noodle soup in my Instant Pot after awhile.

Love those packages of cut up carrot, celery and onion you can find in many produce departments these days.

It's what you do on a cold and wet day...you make soup, and maybe bread, but I bought a loaf of made-in-Brooklyn bread at the store this morning.

Going to clean some in here today, as I have done nothing more than tidy and occasionally vacuum in about two weeks.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #3865
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie... another adventure behind you... and well handled... here's hoping you get the right site back... enjoy the morning... hugs and love from out here...
Old 03-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #3866
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail, and thank you.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #3867
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Your post went in before I got mine posted... good the site change worked for you... enjoy the soup on a rainy day....perfect... hope it doesn't rain too much there... keep having fun!!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #3868
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Chicken Noodle Soup, from scratch, in the IP in about 1 1/2 hours, starting with one large, frozen chicken breast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4333.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	280677  
Old 03-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #3869
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Looks great...what do you do for broth in the interstate??? Do you carry broth along or use that "better than bullion"... I really like that product.... ok sweet friend... enjoy the afternoon and the soup....
Old 03-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #3870
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was quite delicious, actually, and I loved getting it together quickly, using only electricity.

I carry the cubes in here...yuk, I know, but they are space economical, and I only needed two because the chicken and the veggies cooked together made a flavor almost good enough.

At home I would do a chicken in a pot...real broth...but, I'm not home.

Rain off and on today, but Lily has had a couple of good walks.

Poor dear, she is exhausted from hypervigilance...that Bulldog has been stressful for her.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #3871
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
I had an incident with a bulldog... some friends came to visit... the door was unlocked and they came in, bulldog first... Gracie freaked out... barking and snarling at it... they stayed several days, but she could not be in the same room with that dog without going bonkers, barking and growling... it was a very sweet dog... I guess she just never got over the way it came charging in??? Who knows... raining off and on here too... well, Oregon.. hugs and l love to the both of you.... rest well....
Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #3872
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I finished Irena's Children last night.

There were so many everyday individuals during this time, who did what they could, taking extraordinary risks to save thousands of Jewish men, women, and children.

They fed them, they hid them, they brought those who could hide in plain sight into their own families, and they funneled others thru underground networks out of the country

They couldn't stop the slaughter, and they couldn't save them all, but they saved some.

They stepped up, and they did what they could.

"It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little - do what you can."
Old 03-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #3873
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We, at Croton Point Campground.

Plenty of trees, and on a point reaching into the Hudson River, this is not an unattractive place, but what it does have to offer is detracted from by it appearing more to be a Mobile Home Park than a Campground.

Mostly inhabited by long term or permanent residents.

Massive propane tanks, decks, large grills and other outside items covered by tarps, 2-3 vehicles at many sites, etc....just not terribly visually appealing, but if you need proximity to the City, this would be hard to beat.

It is also quiet, and seems rather rural....with several wide open spaces within the campground, and nearby, where a dog can rip around.

Both Amtrak and Metro North run thru here, from what I can tell.

http://www.village.croton-on

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4337.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	280705  
Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #3874
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
New soy candles, on the road.

The tumbler in front is one of those recycled glass ones you can find at TJMaxx and Home Goods for $1.99, which I picked up while shopping with darling daughter the other day...it's pale amethyst.

We are cleaned a bit in here, Lily seems caught up on her rest , tomorrow will be picking up some provisions and heading back to the new house for the weekend and into the early part of next week.

Both D and SIL are off for the next two weeks, so when I have outlived my general usefulness I will mosey on and leave them to their own selves in their new home.

It's been an okay stay here, and now I have seen this place.... a nice little break, and Lily has enjoyed immensely sleeping undisturbed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4342.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	280713  
Old 03-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #3875
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie... lovely candles... what are those wicks??? They look like wood or paper??? Just wondering.. enjoy the morning... hugs and pats from out here... keep having fun!!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #3876
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They are wooden wicks, and I don't really like them...they don't have the flame of a regular wick, but I'm trying to use them up.

Zipped over to the TJ's in Danbury, CN, and picked up some things for the weekend, and to make dinner tonight....also coffee.

Back at the house, have some laundry in and am going to do a little cleaning for DD and SSIL, who have the next two weeks off.

Cold here, and going to get colder.

Maggie
Old 03-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #3877
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Than you Maggie for the very informative remarks about Croton Point Park. Always appreciate your comments on the many parks that you have managed to stay at. Jim
Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #3878
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're welcome.

Another bit of information on this park...it is off season, and the sole office person informed me twice that "only a few" sites were kept available for "transients", and this apparently did not include those winterized (water spigots taped and heated), full hookup sites overlooking the water.

I was not allowed to choose from available sites, either Tuesday when I first called or on Wednesday when I needed to move.

She said I had to be "assigned" a site, tho I saw no other overnighters during the 3 days I was there, and no one in any of the other, empty, winterized sites...nor particularly the nice sites overlooking the water.

In spite of the high cost, the premium sites may be kept back for locals or regulars.

It wasn't bad, and there were some positives, but I can't say that I was impressed, nor that I would be eager to return.

Because, why.

I have brought my IP into the new house, and am making this for dinner..

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-...e-zmrz15onzmat

Maggie
Old 03-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #3879
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, we have snow in New Windsor...glad I am already here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4352.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	280755  
Old 03-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #3880
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Darling daughter and I had a very productive morning, and have the main part of the house now pretty well put together.

SIL will come home tonight and not recognize the front room, his man cave, cleared of tools, boxes of books, etc., now stuffed into his office for him to putter with organizing while off these next couple of weeks.

"Hey, where's my stuff!"...I can just hear him.

Friends of D's here for lunch today...Italian Beef in the IP ...friends of mine will be here tomorrow afternoon and for dinner.

It got down into the teens last night, with wind, and this morning there was no water to the toilet. Still none, tho I see no sign of frozen pipe behind the toilet or underneath the motorhome.

Furnace and space heater are both running, and I was comfortably warm sleeping last night.

Set the space heater in the bathroom for several hours, still no water to the toilet.

Supposed to be a low of 7 tonight, then going to warm up.

I guess then I will find out what is going on.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »