Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
Trailer vs Motorhome

Hi-
I'm a full-time RVer. Over the past 3 years I've lived very comfortably in my 1994 28 ft. Excella 1000. Within the next three years I'm planning on retiring and becoming a full-time work camper.

Question: I love the Airstream trailers but I'm thinking about either upgrading to a newer trailer or purchasing an older Class A Land Yacht.

Trailer Con's- Purchasing a newer 3/4 ton pickup to haul the trailer.

Motorhome Cons- Pulling a second vehicle and maintaining two motors and transmissions. Resale value would be less with a high-mileage motorhome vs a trailer where miles doesn't really mean much.

Your thoughts.

Mark
Softshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshell View Post
Hi-
I'm a full-time RVer. Over the past 3 years I've lived very comfortably in my 1994 28 ft. Excella 1000. Within the next three years I'm planning on retiring and becoming a full-time work camper.

Question: I love the Airstream trailers but I'm thinking about either upgrading to a newer trailer or purchasing an older Class A Land Yacht.

Trailer Con's- Purchasing a newer 3/4 ton pickup to haul the trailer.

Motorhome Cons- Pulling a second vehicle and maintaining two motors and transmissions. Resale value would be less with a high-mileage motorhome vs a trailer where miles doesn't really mean much.

Your thoughts.

Mark
Welcome to the forum Mark. This gets discussed ever few weeks on the forum and the same guys, share the same opinions.....those with trailers prefer trailers, those with motorhomes prefer motorhomes. You can short cut the process by using the forum search function or by searching using Goggle and starting the search with site:airforums.com to limit the query.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Softshell - I've had both and which is best depends on your use. You have experience with a trailer and as a work camper if you plan to stay in one location for weeks at a time the trailer might serve your needs best. Only you can really answer that question.

- - Mike

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
Hi Gang-
I currently own a 1994 Excella 1000.
I like my Airstream and have lived as a full-time RVer going on 3 years.

Because I'm not traveling a tow vehicle has not been an issue. If I decide to go on the road my 6 cylinder runner would be under powered.

If I decided to keep my Airstream I would need to purchase a more powerful truck, F250 or a 2500. One of these trucks used and in good shape would cost in the $20k range.

I could purchase an older Born Free or Lazy Daze Class C motorhome, keep and tow my 4 runner.

Your thoughts.
Softshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshell View Post
Motorhome Cons- Pulling a second vehicle and maintaining two motors and transmissions.
Only an issue for full-timers and bachelors who only have one vehicle. If you're not a full-timer or a bachelor, chances are you've already got two or more vehicles at home.

Using an existing family vehicle as a toad doesn't create any more maintenance problems than using that same vehicle for a daily driver at home. In fact it's probably better to take one of your cars with you than to leave them all parked at home while you travel.