Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question CB Antennas

Anyone have a solution for the problem of needing a decent CB antenna for the classic MoHos? Mine has the split duty radio/CB service antenna with an adjustment at the splitter for the SWR on the CB. Needless to say, it doesn't make any difference . Reception and broadcasting are almost non-existent. I've checked the sub-forum on antennas, but nothing about CBs . If there's a thread about how to solve the antenna issue, I haven't found it yet. I'd really like to hear how someone solved the problem. Magnetic won't stay up there (I tried ), I don't really want to put any holes in the roof, but I'm wondering about using an adhesive to hold the base. Need a removable antenna since height can be a problem.
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
VE7REZ / W6

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Desert Hot Springs , California
Send a message via AIM to hamradio
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Anyone have a solution for the problem of needing a decent CB antenna for the classic MoHos? Mine has the split duty radio/CB service antenna with an adjustment at the splitter for the SWR on the CB. Needless to say, it doesn't make any difference . Reception and broadcasting are almost non-existent. I've checked the sub-forum on antennas, but nothing about CBs . If there's a thread about how to solve the antenna issue, I haven't found it yet. I'd really like to hear how someone solved the problem. Magnetic won't stay up there (I tried ), I don't really want to put any holes in the roof, but I'm wondering about using an adhesive to hold the base. Need a removable antenna since height can be a problem.

How about using a wide strip of Velcro....you can get Velcro with a sticky back similar to Duck tape in strength. Then the antenna base would also have that affixed to it so the antenna would still be removable.

I bet it would work fine.

Pete ...... VE7REZ /W6
hamradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi noiva--How about mounting a longer one (double the normal length) on your front or rear bumper. I have a 1993 Chevy Lumina APV Van that has a similiar problem with magnetic base antennas (body skin is composite material), so I mounted a double length antenna on the rear bumper, which goes as high as the roof. Reception is great. Don't forget to have a good ground connection.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
check out a cb shop at a truck stop they can set you up with a great antenna like a k40 which you can glue to the top and remove with a quarter turn. it is a 2 piece job . I did it to mine works fine..
bobchevy89
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Reply to Frand and Pete

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I finally went to my local truck-stop CB place, and got outfitted with a bracket that I'm temporarily attaching to the awning arm (I know it's not "official" but it's just for a trial), a fiberglass whip antenna, and enough coax to get to my CB. Set the SWR yesterday, and it works great! If I can't figure a good way to mount this bracket permanently, I may try the Velcro idea, Pete. Hadn't even thought of the bumper mount idea, Frank, so I'll store that one for reference, too!

Really appreciate the ideas. That's what I love about this Forum .

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 06-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchevy89
check out a cb shop at a truck stop they can set you up with a great antenna like a k40 which you can glue to the top and remove with a quarter turn. it is a 2 piece job . I did it to mine works fine..
bobchevy89
Bobchevy,

It just so happens I have a K40 I could do that with. I had thought of the glue idea earlier. Now I have three options. Thanks!
AIR # 5648
Old 06-30-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Hi Noiva. Had the same delimma and solved it to my satisifaction in a previous thread. Works just fine and I used the original mount that airstream had installed on the mirrors that I replaced. Check this out.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...remove+mirrors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB_Antennae1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	23010  

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Hi Noiva. Had the same delimma and solved it to my satisifaction in a previous thread. Works just fine and I used the original mount that airstream had installed on the mirrors that I replaced. Check this out.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...remove+mirrors
Cooperhawk,

Thanks for the thread reference. I did a site search before posting that first question, but couldn't come up with anything about CBs or Antenna except for radios. Anyway, great job! I may do something similar now that I've seen your pictures. I already have the Ramco mirrors, so adding an antenna mount just at the place they attach would solve the whole problem. I even have the bracket and whip .

Thanks again,
AIR # 5648