Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2002, 01:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Antenna's

I am still trying to decide how/where to mount at least a 2 meter or a 2m/70cm antenna to my A/S. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Now if I could just get CW to stick in my brain!

73's, kc7wou
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Just a thought..

The bathroom vent pipe is an item that's easy to remove. Do all your work on the bench, then reinstall it. Run your wires down the refrig exhaust sys. Be sure to put a "wet loop" in the cable so it doesn't drip inside the exhaust vent. For the type of ant that you're talking abt, this should work the easiest. Simple to replace when selling the unit later.
73's
K4NEH (since '59)
ex WAISCF
BTW, the trick to copyin code is to "copy behind"
Once you learn how to do that, with time, there's no limit to your speed.
good luck~!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:49 PM   #3

I've been the happy owner of a 1990 Excella 1000 and have been pondering how to route coax into the coach without doing surgery. The suggestion of routing down the refrig exhaust pipe is a good one. Thank you!

I have a question: what have you found to be the best way to route DC from the batteries to inside the coach? I have a TS-140 that I want to use near the sofa up front. Any ideas?

WA6BTK
Escapees WBCCI
Stu Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
hi
wb4eze is my call and i used a screwdriver antenna on my excella and power is not a problem the power panel is behind the couch or it was in mt 78. the coax i feed thru a hole by the battery box, the antenna was elevated on an piece of conduit in a flag pole bracket that most as have on the tounge jack. need to get the antenna above the big groung plane ,roof line .worked great. you can always use the trailer skin as a antenna / was at a fotball game and a fan from missippi was hooking to the water pipe to get a ground and the second wire he cliped to the window channel. on cw he was a terror. the xmitter will load up on auto tune with low swr . the ground is critical plastic pipe wont work. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Just athought

STU CLARK
We're a "Ham family", like so many.
The PO of our unit was also a "ham" from TX and, I believe he picked up 12 volts from behind the Frig. as I see signs of connection there.
Of course my unit is an '84 model and, I can't say for sure about your's.
We keep the 2mtrs in the Burb. while traveling..And, have plans to install the Icom 757ftdx in the A/S in due time for SWL'ing.
ciao
K4NEH
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:57 AM   #6

Many thanks for the suggestions. I have been debating on whether to have the TS-140 in the truck cab with me, but maybe 2 meters is enough. Sometimes the distractions of using HF in the cab is not good. Have done mobile on many occasions but find with ANY tuning, I am outside the line. So will probably use 2 m in the truck, and then using the conduit flag pole idea for the screwdriver, running ground straps to the Airstream itself. Can't ask for a much better groundplane. Would mount the HF on the left table so could sit at the sofa and operate. Anyway, thanks again for the good suggestions.

Stu
WA6BTK
Fair Oaks, California
Escapees WBCCI
Stu Clark is offline   Reply With Quote