Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2017, 03:22 AM   #21
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
At the moment I probably have around 1800 to 2000 hours invested so far. I don't think there's anyway I could finish mine in 2400 hours. 2400 hours equates to 40 hours/week for 60 weeks for one person. I didn't really start getting serious about working on it until around late 2012 early 2013. I have every expectation that the drive train and most external items will be dealt with by the end of the year. The interior living spaces will probably eat up 300 to 600 hours or so.......
I hate to say this, but you are the winner Brad....2600 hours is over $300K at comparable shop rates!!!! And yes you are correct Bella was about 20 hours/week for 30 weeks for two people, so basically she occupied the whole shop (they only had two techs) for 50% of their time, for about 8months, and that was actually an underestimate by the shop (which I believe as the shop went got closed down shortly after Bella was finished).

This also came to mind on the thread covering the Vortec/Allsion swap. I remember the poster said they had 700 hours into the conversion, plus the parts. Well that is $84K plus parts at shop rates, or if someone wants to pay to get it done.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I hate to say this, but you are the winner Brad....2600 hours is over $300K at comparable shop rates!!!! And yes you are correct Bella was about 20 hours/week for 30 weeks for two people, so basically she occupied the whole shop (they only had two techs) for 50% of their time, for about 8months, and that was actually an underestimate by the shop (which I believe as the shop went got closed down shortly after Bella was finished).

This also came to mind on the thread covering the Vortec/Allsion swap. I remember the poster said they had 700 hours into the conversion, plus the parts. Well that is $84K plus parts at shop rates, or if someone wants to pay to get it done.
Martin, I certainly don't feel like a winner

When your's was being rebuilt by AS NE did they farm the interior cabinets (or any other task) out to a different shop or did they make the cabinets themselves? If they farmed them out you should include those hours in your overall total.

I'm not sure I could break down the number of hours for the 454/4L80e swap because I basically started with no engine so no matter what I had to expend the hours necessary to get an engine installed. The 4L80e conversion did take some hours due to the change in mount location and shortened drive shaft.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #23
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
They built them all themselves Brad, one of the techs was a carpenter, so is in the hours

It actually doesn't include the hours from the shop in Weymouth MA who fixed the brakes (which had to be repeated because the e-brake wasn't working) and steering (and damaged the steering pump which had to be replaced), but does include at least 3 other tasks which were repeated/paid for several times because of incompetency/being ripped off the first few times!

I think that is the element you ensure doesn't happen if you do it yourself.....remember the shop in Florida said Peanut was OK to drive to yours if i changed the tyres!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Does it include all your time spent on this forum, researching parts etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #25
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Does it include all your time spent on this forum, researching parts etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
That's the fun part.....not so fun when someone buys up all the last of the NOS stuff and tries to sell it for 3 times the price they bought it for.(NOS Keeler key cylinders); or little tiny bits of plastic weep hole covers that are 150 times what they're worth.

The interesting part about searching for material is finding items that normally would have no relevance to RVing, but really work well; like my find on Coosa board for my subfloor or the interior vinyl sheeting for my interior.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
They built them all themselves Brad, one of the techs was a carpenter, so is in the hours
That sure simplified matters, at least in regards to the cabinetry aspect of your rebuild.

Quote:
It actually doesn't include the hours from the shop in Weymouth MA who fixed the brakes (which had to be repeated because the e-brake wasn't working) and steering (and damaged the steering pump which had to be replaced), but does include at least 3 other tasks which were repeated/paid for several times because of incompetency/being ripped off the first few times!

I think that is the element you ensure doesn't happen if you do it yourself.....remember the shop in Florida said Peanut was OK to drive to yours if i changed the tyres!
There are distinct advantages to doing the work yourself. The real problem with that however is there is no one you can complain to when you do the work wrong!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
No Smile As Yet

I paid just under the asking price off US$20,000 at 66,000 miles, condition was average but PO had recently installed many off the more expensive parts.I have owned it for just over 2 years, so over the past 4 years I estimate around $17,000 in parts/accessories,very little in labor.I figure if most off the consumables are replaced close together, then all things being fair equal and reasonable the Airstream should be trouble free for a good many years and miles, providing sensibly maintained and handled.Basing it on the original value back in 1987, the quality off the materials used, robust well proven combined chassis and caravan design,relatively simple to fix,with very little built in obsolescence unlike vehicles made from 2000ish on, I don't have any problems with spending this amount on it I havnt cringed yet nor has it got me to smile much yet either,I'm sure that will happen when all the interior floor/upholstery and its new top coat is on n done, but I'm happy with what I'm doing and how I'v gone about doing it.If I had come across this one or similar with such an extensive and recent parts list up for sale for $34,000 I would most likely have bought it, particularly if I had read this Forum thoroughly before hand.It has been some learning curve for me and THANKS to Airforms and its contributors and yes even the nah sayers!
The Air Fares, then the travel across America to hunt a machine down,then came the Shipping, then the Tax's/Duties once Landed, then the Rebuild then at the end off all that the upcoming and dreaded RHD conversion.
So I'm about to take a long much needed work/trip to Europe that will give me some perspective on life and pleasures and more importantly how to finish the interior, did see a photo off a buitifuly done red seating in a 345 in England, might try n find out.
Meanwhile some off my bad my memories are coming back = master cylinder,hydroboost..........the list must be coming to at an end soon right?
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Nah....it's never done, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #29
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
How about a 1,000 hour club? Some of you guys would be members with stars and bars!!!

Put over 1K hrs into the C20 over the last 8 months, now the 280 is due out of the shop with a new 502... and I figure another 1K hrs will follow in interior, body panels and wiring! You guys sure made my night, with my wife reading your posts.... We're only at $8K for the motor, $10K on labor for install and subsystem maintenance. So far.

Had to go back to work for a few months to keep the warchest funded. Good luck to all! You guys have all been great to read and keep me motivated!

Here's a pick of the C20. With the 502 going into the 280, I'm counting on being able to pull it behind. When the 350 finally goes in the pickup, I figure I should put a 502 in, to have a matched set!

Stay Safe,

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170614_103452144.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	289103  
propstrike is offline   Reply With Quote