Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lido&linda 85/345
battery tray

I was inspecting my batteries last nite,and I was shock to see that the floor of my bat.tray is olmost gone due to rust.The only thing thats holding it is a couple of angle iron,Idont know if its original part or the PO bolted it there to carry the batteries.Any way I want to know if I can get the neccesary sheetmetal to rebuild this tray,or do I have to manufacture my own part?The rest of the tray is in good shape,the skin is good and so as the lockable compartment next to the batteries.
lido&linda 85/345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

repair

It is a fairly easy fix if the framing iron is solid. Sheet metal is readily available precut to size in a sheet metal shop or any supply,Home Depot, etc., just cut with shears and rivot or bolt in. Leave a drain in there somewhere where water will not be trapped.

Plywood could be used or a plexyglass I would think also.

One note: Be sure to not raise the batteries or said another way, be sure to have clearance so your tray will go in and out without the battery terminals hitting or grounding out on the top of the enclosure....

I did not have to repair mine but put a thin layer of rubber in there to cushion and isolate my batteries...just a thought...lol..jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Battery Tray Repair

Hello<

I had to repair my Battery tray on the 1985 325.
It was in sad shap.

I got underneath and unbolted all the bolts that hold the slide assembly in place and pulled the
whole thing out. Drilled out the rivits in places where needed and sand blasted the remaining
bad metal.

the original is 18 gage material. I had the local plumbing and heating shop make the bottom
and sides and end caps as needed. we made it out of 16 gage as its a few thousandths thicker.

I sealed all the joints with caulking sealer and
painted all over with black rustoleum paint.

Its not to hard to get the drawer out. Pay attention to location of locking mechanisem as it
can only go together one way.

I used 3/16" Alum. Rivits so they wouldn't rust.
You could use Stainless Steel but they are very
expensive.

When I got it all done and into place I put 3 plastic battery trays inside (Like for Boats) Of course the covers don't fit on but it helps to keep
them under control.

Make a wiring diagram of the wire connectors underneath the tray and on the back side of the
tray It will come in handy when you rehook up
all the wireing. This should be a must!

Mine really came out nice. Looks good and functions good.
Let me know if you have anyother questions regarding this repair.

ODD
Old 09-16-2003, 08:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i had a new liner made for mine took a grinder and cut the bottom off. the new liner fit inside the old sheet metal . drilled holes to attach to the slides and used self tapping screws to attach to the aluminum front. also i made mine a 1 1/2 deeper as mentioned in another post need to watch the clearance for the battery lugs. a neighbor owns a sheet metal fab shop. he did a great job and it was free. tryed to pay him . pay back somes times is a pain. lol
al
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote