Old 06-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
I would like to see a cite for your claim that "many were stolen right from the campsite." I have never heard a reliable report of a single instance of this happening, and would like to educate myself.

Below are three incidents of travel trailer being stolen from RV parks in West Texas as was reported in the Odessa American. In these cases the thieves just hooked onto them and drove away. In one case the owners were only gone for a few minutes. It does happen, there has been several other incidents. Sorry, I could not get the full articles to open up.

Jan 7, 2014 | KOSA
... for some, but there is a downside that people here in West Texas have been discovering lately. They can be easily stolen. The latest couple to have their home taken in West Odessa is Sherri and Shawn. The couple says their travel trailer was parked ...
The trailer was not parked at a campsite. It was on Palomino Ave. in West Odessa, a major artery in a sparsely populated mixed-used area.

Another travel trailer in West Odessa stolen | RV Daily Report | Breaking RV Industry News and Campground Information

Jan 3, 2014 | KOSA
DeAnn Lopez CBS 7 News January 3, 2014 WEST ODESSA-It's been nearly three weeks since an Odessa family of five had their Travel Trailer stolen, with their two Chihuahuas inside, leaving them homeless.

Dec 16, 2013 | KOSA
DeAnn Lopez CBS 7 News December 16, 2013 ODESSA-A West Texas family is left homeless after their travel trailer is stolen in the middle of the night.
These news reports are of the same theft. Judging by the photos, the trailer was parked semi-permanently since there was a 3" rigid connection to the sewer. The trailer appears to be a FEMA trailer. I would speculate that there is more to this story than meets the eye because someone motivated by economic gain would have chosen a different trailer.

To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #16
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
But you can "boot" a wheel on a single-axle trailer, as others have suggested (Brahma Wheel Lock). And if you do it on the street side, it doesn't affect the look of your under-awning area when you're entertaining.
Most wheel locks can be removed by deflating the tire and sliding them off, and by various other means that vary from one product to the next. They are a deterrent, to be sure. I see them as less secure than a chain through the tire spokes.

If your campsite is your base camp for exploring the surrounding area, it's difficult to NOT leave your Airstream unattended. You can't be so paranoid about having your Airstream stolen that you keep it chained to your hip like a trucker's wallet!
Key word in my original post was "overnight." If you are in an area where theft is a concern, don't leave the trailer unattended overnight.

To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	213306

I have a Trimax, out of Miami
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
But if you feel that a motorhome owner has nothing to add to the issue, I'll be glad to "ignore" this thread and leave you guys to it. Bye![/QUOTE]

NO, protagonist-please don't go. I appreciate your input!

markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote