Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Kingwood , Texas
NEWBIE asking for your help IN PURCHASING A 'ONLINE' TRAILER

Ready to join y'all on the road. Found the trailer. Problem is its in Mass. and I'm in Texas. So, I need a member to take a look at the trailer then advise. Owner is willing to drive it to the Tenn/Virginia border--which is great and doable for me. She requires me to register/insure the trailer (sending her the plates and registration).
My question--how can this be done without being taken.
The owners have been gracious and extremely patient with me as I've navigated through the process. On the advice of the forum, I have many photos of the trailer and its VIN number.
Thanks for your help, Lady Bird
Lady Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Not up there so I can't help directly, but I would say that there are A LOT of scams of every type around (even if someone does have a VIN). Have someone you know or trust SEE it. You could also fly up and tow it down with a rental truck... That's just what I would do verses buying it unseen.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Kingwood , Texas
Thanks Eric,
Do you know anyone in the state of Mass?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Wish I did for ya, but sure don't...
Once again, just my own personal thought on buying things unseen.... I like to kick tires or pull it around the block.
If I recall there's a place on this forum for trusted members to help out. I would make use of that for sure. If you can't find that, maybe you can just post a general post with a title such as "Need someone to check out a trailer in Mass"
OR maybe you can call the closest Airstream dealer and get a nice service person over to see it. If the person selling it is totally fine with showing it then most likely is legit:-)
A trip to Mass could be nice though! Wait for the leaves to change! I just got back from Texas, so hot and dry!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Kingwood , Texas
Smile

Thanks Eric
You have been helpful and sent important info. my way.
I will try and get a licensed inspector to check out the trailer.
Happy Airstreaming
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

LB,

I'm sure you'll be able to get someone here to check it out for you if given enough time.
Be wary of imposed time constraints.
I recently went to Ark to pick up a trailer and was able to get temporary transport plates.(two bucks) I would call the Mass. DMV and see if they offer the same, or the Tx DMV may have a workable option for you.

Bob