Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Newbie - first Trailer, a 30 ft International

Hi everyone, wanted to introduce ourselves.

I (Andrew) fell in love with Air Stream when looking for a travel Trailer.
My beautiful wife (Stacey) and I will be doing a 10 month trip in North America starting Mid September.

I wanted to purchase a 25 ft International, Stacey (my better half) fell in love with the 30 ft International.

I put my foot down and got the 30 foot for her (yeah I know I have all the control

Well I have never, ever driven a trailer, let alone backed one up, now I have a 30 foot to fret about.

We are so excited to start our trip (1.5 months east coast of Canada, then down the east coast of the USA) other then that, all we know is Alaska in May!

Can't wait to get started!

We pick up the 30 ft next week....

Andrew and Stacey!
alozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Panorama
Bak , California
Welcome and happy streaming and sight seeing!
Suziesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome Alozier!

Its great to have you here on the forums with us...
The good news is that its easier to back a longer trailer up vs. a smaller one.. true story!

You will find lots of information here just ask away..

Cheers... Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Welcome Welcome Welcome. I am also a newbie!!! Just bought a 27 FB a couple of weeks ago. It's still sitting in our driveway while we we are trying to figure everything out. Can't wait to hear about your adventures!
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome!

We just bought our AS four weeks ago. You have found probably the best place to learn and ask questions that you could ever hope for. Enjoy your trip!

Ken
Old 07-26-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Alozier,
Welcome to a great, caring, and sharing community. Linda and I got our 30-footer just a few months ago. We've learned So Much from the wonderful people here on the forum. So far we've pulled over 10,000 miles, 18 states, and 1 province. Like you, we had never pulled or backed a trailer before. Just Go Slow when backing up, and use the technique of placing your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Move your hand in the direction you want the tail of the AS to go. Get out and look. Most of all, plan to travel fewer miles each day than you might want to at first. We pushed too hard many days. The next big trip is to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta!
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Our "first" camping trip was on the parking pad next to the house, would have done it on the dealers lot had that option been available. An overnight stay at the dealer gives you the chance to ask the questions that may not have come up on the original walk-thru. Don't be afraid to ask, take notes if needed.

Try every door, latch, accessory, appliance, gizmo and do-dad. Take your time, and oh yes...ask more questions.

Make sure you have a good understanding of the proper/safe hitching procedure. Take the time to make sure the brake controller is adjusted properly. Stop frequently and do a walk-around, (the trailer plug, has separated on more than one trip home), it did on ours. I now zip-tie the cover on all our trips.

The search function in the tool bar can be your friend, get used to using it.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ler-77664.html

Very Good Luck...

Sweet Streams

ps...you have a great dealer in London..take advantage!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Kd9
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Henderson , Nevada
Welcome.

Oh, I am so jealous of you having your dealer nearby. Our 30' International was just delivered...with no manuals and NO INSTRUCTIONS. We will have to figure
out everything for ourselves. We could not do it without these forums. Just keep reading and you will learn a lot!
Kd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9 View Post
Welcome.

Oh, I am so jealous of you having your dealer nearby. Our 30' International was just delivered...with no manuals and NO INSTRUCTIONS. We will have to figure
out everything for ourselves. We could not do it without these forums. Just keep reading and you will learn a lot!

And I thought we had a dealer that dropped the ball....although we were his LAST customer.

Still without a stocking dealer in NYS!!
http://www.airstream.com/dealer_loca...ext=New%20York
Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
You will never regret the larger trailer.

Pick an nice cool day when you are relaxed, find a great big parking lot, several nice soft plastic trash cans, and learn how to back your trailer into a rectangular space.

Going forward is easy.

And have fun.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Welcome and congrats on your new AS! We had set out to get a 28 foot trailer. I had always thought the 30 classic was the perfect trailer. I spotted the 30 foot international online and was amazed. Our dealer had one in stock and we knew within 10 seconds of walking through that this was our next trailer.

I'm so glad they made them in this length. We plan to full time one day and it's a very nice layout. Your DW is a smart woman.

We are less than two weeks away from taking delivery of our 30 international in serenity. So which interior did you get? Did you get the lounge or recliners?

Congrats again.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for all the replies!

We choose the Serenity with the lounge, Stacey fell in love with that layout (looked at the 28 as well) Actually almost bought the 28, but in the end they gave us a great deal on the 2011 30 foot Serenity they had on the lot. Storage made more sense since we will be 9 or 10 months full timing in the AS.

thanks again!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Congratulations on the new Airstream. What do you plan to tow it with?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Congratulations on the new Airstream. What do you plan to tow it with?

doug k
Thanks pretty excited!

We have a 2010 dodge Ram 1500 with the hemi

Canam rv tells us it will be fine with a Hensley hitch.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
With hindsight, I should have ordered the 30' last year, instead of the 28'; but at the time I had other RVing issues that have since been resolved. In the meantime, I've found this general floorplan to be quite livable, and prefer it to the FB I lived in for the preceeding 3 years. Most impressive to me is how well they utilized the additional 3'.....nothing short of brilliant. Since weight isn't an issue, alozier made the right choice, if you ask me.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Awesome. Same as us, the serenity with the L lounge. We like our comfort and both of us can chill on the sofa at the same time.

Yeah the layout of the space is nicely done. Our previous AS was the 25SS with the corner bed and the knee knocker bathroom. I think I exclaimed something to the tune of holy **** when I opened the bathroom door of the 30 foot international. Wow. What a difference. The galley is another favorite of mine. All that counter space....I think I had about 6 inches before. I really liked our 25SS too, this just feels like I could really do some nice comfortable full timing.

We will be towing ours with our 08 tundra with the tow package and a propride hitch.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote