Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I am not sure if I have room for 5/8", especially with the added thickness of the Prodex. I am looking locally (Lowes) at some good grade 19/32" standard plywood.

I might try to locate some 5/8" marine grade if folks think there would be room- but I am doing a shell-on and not replacing the belly pan, so there really is not too much wiggle room.

Thoughts?

Ben

Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
I don't think you want to use marine grade plywood. My understanding is that it will react to the aluminum. I am using standard 19/32 plywood and painting it with oil base porch paint before installation. Hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Marine grade is not the same at treated plywood. Marine grade has more layers of wood and less voids and defects in it. It is not treated with anything.

Perry
Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Progress at last!

I went and bought my four sheets of 19/32" exterior grade plywood this morning for the subfloor. I traced the first piece- front of trailer- from the removed "patterns." Well, there was not much left of the original curves, but I think we go it!

Burned that section of the original floor in the barrel this evening and hoping to get the first section of new subfloor installed soon!

Felt good to be back at it again! We want to use the trailer for camping by late Summer. I am not saying it will be finished...but we want to use it.

Ben
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Window and a delivery from VTS!

I have been him-hawing all winter about finishing the repair and glass installation on my one street side window. It had the dreaded corner crack- formerly repaired wit ha rather large steel angle bracket. Ugly! Well, we got it TIG welded and it looks better...not great, but better. And the repair is strong.

I got the details from Becky on installing the glass. I was nervous to do it- but today I bit the bullet and dove in. The butyl glazing tape from VTS is extremely sticky and kind of hard to work with, but I got it in place. Lynn helped me lay the glass on and she pressed it down for a tight fit. She has more grace than I do- I really think I might have broken the glass!

Next I cut the two long strips of plastic glazing strips to fit (as per AS original orientation) and snapped them in and then trimmed the shorter pieces to fit- including curved cuts to make the "miters."

I used a coping saw to cut the glazing strips along with scissors for the curves- then did final shaping with my dremel moto-tool. All went well!

I was able to snap in all of the glazing strips easily up until the last two inches of one of the shorter pieces. A bit of dish detergent to lube up the plastic and the aluminum frame and as went as planned! Looks good! I am happy to have a successful project under my belt.

Oh...the delivery. I got a package containing Olympic rivets, a package of the rivets with oversized heads, cleckos, clecko plyers, and elevator bolts from VTS the other day. One step closer to reinstalling the sub floor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Street-side-window-repair-(1).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	181251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Street-side-window-repair.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	181252  

Name:	Street-side-window-repair-(2).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	181253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Street-side-window-repair-(3).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	181254  

Old 03-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Yeah!! It's such a good feeling to have all the windows in place!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Getting ready for the subfloor!

Today I shored up the body to the frame where it attaches in the front. There is a big plate there. I used cleckos for the first time! Pretty cool!

It took some time and some trimming of the subfloor to get it to fit just right. Well, it is close enough! My "pattern" was very bad- most of it rotten away. The streetside is better than the curbside, but it will work out fine.

I guess my next step is to drill the holes for the elevator bolts and then seal the perimeter with some hefty paint! I will then be able to install these first two pieces of subflooring and restore some structural integrity to the old girl!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	April-27-2013-(1).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	184363   Click image for larger version

Name:	April-27-2013-(3).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	184364  

Name:	April-27-2013-(5).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	184365  
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Making Progress!

I FINALLY got back to the Bambi II after a major yard remodel that I was not expecting. It is nice working in education to have Summer days to do major projects. And so, amidst other major projects, I am back to it!

The center and rear floor have been removed...bellypan insulation discarded (After discovering an active bee's nest...being stung...and having to use the spray! I have to forgive them- there were baby bees to protect). I have cleaned and painted the rear frame and am in the process of repairing some rot and ick from the factory (Like Becky's, my second-from-the-back crossmember was cut at the factory to make way for the Thetford black water valve.) Since the new valve is much smaller, I will repair the cut out section with 2" angle iron. I will also install a piece of 2" angle iron inside the rearmost crossmember. It is pretty rough. Lots of evidence of leaking back there.

Here are some pictures...more to come...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor-removal-6-24-13-(1)-for-web.jpg
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	189570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor-removal-6-25-13-(1)-for-web.jpg
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	189571  

Name:	Floor-removal-6-25-13-(3)-for-web.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	189572  
Old 06-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
It's amazing what deja vu I'm having! I think I can smell it! You'll feel so much better when you have a solid frame under your baby. Glad you could get back to your project. Sometimes real life does get in the way of hobbies!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Getting lots done...

Amazing how much there is to do!

Here is some recent stuff- not in any order:

1) sealed water heater hole
2)sealed furnace vent hole, removed rear bumper (BENT!!), and cleaned exposed rear frame for paint
3) strengthened rear cross members (one cut at factory for toilet plumbing; one pretty rotted
4) repaired bottom rot on three wheel well bottom edges
5) finished installing floor!
6) removed rear end cap- the last interior piece and the last of the nasty old fiberglass insulation!

So much more to do! Next is removal of old marker lights/installation of new ones; umbilical cord wiring/trailer light wiring; 12 volt and 120 volt wiring; interior insulation, etc., etc., etc...

Been a fun Summer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS-cross-member-repair.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	190973   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-Emma-inspector.jpg
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	190974  

Name:	AS-floor's-in!.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	190975   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-NO-bumper.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	190976  

Name:	AS-rear-cleaned-up.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	190977   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-rear-insulation.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	190978  

Name:	AS-water-heater-cover-up.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	190979   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-wheel-well-repair.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	190980  

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Looks like you've been very busy, Ben! I'm glad your inspector is keeping you on the straight & narrow! My Bambi II only has the two large lights in the back. Do you think they eliminated the other ones by #3?? Everything looks so nice & clean! When we took our last interior endcap off, a mouse jumped out of it! He was the last of the mohicans! Hope your weather is cooler than ours here....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
My Bambi II only has the two large lights in the back. Do you think they eliminated the other ones by #3??
I don't know, Becky. The two smaller red circles are reflectors. I think they were added later. The two white lights are backup lights. I also think they were added later. The wiring coming off of the original Bargman tail light plates made me think so, but I am not sure how they would have retrofitted the wiring for those later.

I suppose I will keep them when I get things buttoned back up. The reflectors are kind of gawdy, but they help one to be seen at night. Those two tail lights aren't probably all that bright from the back!

Ben
Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
More progress

I was busy all Summer but did not get as much finished as I had hoped. At this point, the new axle is installed, areas around marker lights, tail lights, emblems are polished, tail lights and rear reflectors installed, and I am getting ready to install marker lights.

Then comes chasing of some pesky leaks and then outer layer of Prodex insulation. After that, it will be on to wiring. Hopefully I can do that over the Winter with a heater in the trailer!

Here are some obligatory pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bambi-II-7.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	199185   Click image for larger version

Name:	bambi-II-1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	199186  

Name:	bambi-II-6.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	199187   Click image for larger version

Name:	bambi-II-5.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	199188  

Name:	bambi-II-4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	199189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi-II-3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	199190  

Name:	bambi-II-2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	199191  
Old 11-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Rome wasn't built in a day! Plus, you've been a busy dad! It's nice to see a glimmer of what your Bambi II will look when she's finished. I noticed that your electric outlet on the outside is quite a bit lower than mine. I think they just tried new things as they went along there at the factory in 1964! Are you moving your dump valves for the plumbing? I sure would have liked mine to dump out to the side, but my hubby didn't thing it was possible, so I guess I'll be groveling underneath to hook up the stinky slinky! We worked on all our wiring in the winter with a little heater. Once the insulation was up, it was nice & toasty in there. I used some double-faced tape on the ribs as a cold-break (or whatever technical term they use for it) I didn't pull off the sticky side on the inside & poked thru all the rivet holes so I could see where I was going when putting the walls back up. It worked pretty nicely. It was pretty thin stuff. Have fun insulating & wiring. It's tedious, but so good when it's finished!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S