Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1964 Bambi II
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
If I were going to take that approach, I'd cut the bellypan at the edge of the frame rail. The new belly material can extend past the rails and support the old edge pieces. I used this method even though I installed all new metal. Now if I need, I can remove the center of the belly without messing with the edges.
Exactly as I thought. Do you mean to cut the material near the inner (toward center) or outer (toward trailer sidewalls) edge of the frame rails? From the way I read it, you mean outer.

Thanks! I saw this repair done on Der Klein Prinz at the RVMH museum in Elkhart. Seems to make sense, as you say, for future access to wires, plumbing, etc. How did you handle the area around the axle?

Ben
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Exactly as I thought... cut the material near the ... outer (toward trailer sidewalls) edge of the frame rails? From the way I read it, you mean outer.

Ben
Outer. I then made the center section an inch wider than the frame on each side. The wrap pieces slip on top and get pop riveted.

Kinda like this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1004244
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Yeah but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Outer. I then made the center section an inch wider than the frame on each side. The wrap pieces slip on top and get pop riveted.

Kinda like this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1004244
So I book marked your resto, but I have '65, so I'll probably be taking a little bit different approach at the banana wraps (mine have full curves at bottom)
But yeah, I understand, cut on the outside of frame rail, basically having a full length banana wrap going around the whole trailer, makes sense.
Did you use snips above the axle? Nibbler may not fit.

Thanks in advance,
TIMK

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Some ideas brewin'...

So, I have not been able to get much done on the trailer lately. Doctoral classes and the job get in the way. My next steps include cleaning out the items I have gutted (including the LONG aluminum panel that makes the lower front interior wall) and some other things. That way, when it is time to get to work on the frame, we will be ready.Currently the original wheels are being bead blasted and painted. We noticed that one wheel is wider than the other. Is this normal? Either way, they will be shiny black in the very near future. Then we will throw on some old tires so we can roll it, and tow it to my friend's house on another friend's car trailer for frame repair.All the while, interior ideas are brewing. I am definitely looking at constructing a front dinette to replace the front gaucho, probably keeping the side gaucho, but the most radical idea I have is rearranging the kitchen a bit so that I can build bunks where the original wardrobe is. We are having another baby, and we both think that a set of bunks tucked into the back corner would be good as it would give each child a place to call his or her own while on the road. I think I can just get 6' bunks in that space...but until I get more things reworked, I will not know for sure.Any opinions on this plan out there? Still up in the air- but it is fun stuff to think about!Ben
Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I don't think that the wheels should be different sizes. Might want to stop the refinishing process until you can get the correct wheels for your Bambi II. Definetly could be a safety issue.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm going to make a dinette for our Bambi II as well. We had one tire wider than the other when she was pulled from the woods. I got new wheels from VTS. The old ones are still on & are still holding air! I'll watch with interest about your bunk idea!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #27
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Go for it!

Might as well, it's an open canvas....
I have two little ones, and am debating bunks... They would probably love them, If I can get them out of Momma and Dadda's bed.
I still have not removed the belly.... just isn't on the top of my list right now.
I just removed all roof vents and am cleaning those up for re-install and seal on water, refer & stove vents, and am keeping 14x14 roof vent, but am replacing my 14"x26" escape hatch with a patch and am installing a Fantastic Vent.
My neighbor let me borrow scaffolding, so I'm taking advantage of it while I can and am doing the roof stuff.
After that, I'll be moving to the belly and floor.

Keep at it!

TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
We had one tire wider than the other when she was pulled from the woods. I'll watch with interest about your bunk idea!
Different wheel sizes- coincidence on two consecutive serial number trailers? I have decided to keep my wheels and get one replacement to match one of the original wheels. I will use the oddball for the spare tire rim.

I measured and I think I can get 6' bunks in between the refrigerator and the rear wall near where the vanity is. This will also mean shortening the streetside gaucho and moving some kitchen counter space over there as well as the microwave and maybe the stove. In such a small space, it really does not matter that we will have to reach a little when cooking. Our main concern is comfortable sleeping quarters, a cold refrigerator, and a working bathroom. The interior of a Bambi II is so small that nothing is really all that far away! I won't really know if this idea will work until I get the refrigerator back in place.

I actually can't wait to get to the carpentry stage. A lot of other major systems work preceding that will be a learning curve, but building the interior cabinets, beds, and seating will be a joy for me!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When people come in to look at my Bambi II I tell them to stand in the middle, do a 360 degree turn around. They have now had the Grand Tour. ☺

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Moving day...

Will post pictures later (I hope they turned out- we dropped our camera on a campout Mother's Day weekend and we cannot see anything in the screen/viewfinder...but Lynn did try to take some pictures).Yesterday we loaded up the Bambi II onto my buddy's car trailer to take it to another buddy's home/shop (we are all co workers) so that we can tackle the front frame/tongue rust. It was harrowing watching the old Bambi back there through the truck mirrors- kind of bobbing along for the ride. All of the straps and come-alongs held tight and we made it safely.I is also interesting to note that the front 1/3 of the floor is out as well as the front inner-skin. This all makes one aware of the meaning of monocoque construction and how every part makes the others stronger.Hopefully we will be able to make repairs to the frame quickly and get the trailer back on my property, but I am fine if it takes a little while. We like the additional parking spaces in our driveway!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #31
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
I is also interesting to note that the front 1/3 of the floor is out as well as the front inner-skin. This all makes one aware of the meaning of monocoque construction and how every part makes the others stronger.
Did you install any sort of x-arm bracing, say 2x4's going from walls to frame or anything?
I have to do that, drive it over an hour at approx. 65+ mph, and will have the interior totally removed. Wondering if I should cross brace or something.
I was thinking it would have double shock ability (both trailer and car trailer) to help reduce the impact/vibration.
I'm not looking forward to this!

Loud and clear about the parking in the driveway (LOL)
TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSLED88 View Post
Did you install any sort of x-arm bracing, say 2x4's going from walls to frame or anything?
I have to do that, drive it over an hour at approx. 65+ mph, and will have the interior totally removed. Wondering if I should cross brace or something.
I was thinking it would have double shock ability (both trailer and car trailer) to help reduce the impact/vibration.
I'm not looking forward to this!

TIMK
I did not brace it at all. I know I have seen pictures of people doing all kinds of things to brace the body of their trailer when it is removed from the frame, etc...truth is, I can't see it makes a difference. You always see pictures of the employees carrying detached shells, lifting them with cranes, etc. Seems to me that the structure, even when not everything is tied together- is safe enough for quick moves. I might brace it somewhat when I bring the trailer home...I intend to tow it home, not trailer it.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
New tongue/front frame COMPLETED!

Well, long story short we towed it up to my buddy's home with no problems. We had to wait until school was out to get to it, but then we completed the job in one morning. My buddy replicated the entire front frame and tongue/coupler- including the monster plate that goes up behind the front skin to support the spare tire holder.

He then stick welded the entire assembly into place and fishplated it for extra strength. Once we got it home (a harrowing experience considering the front shell had no support at this point- but we made it with minimal damage to the bottom skin) I got a chance to prime the fresh metal, but am fighting some tendonitis right now, so I did not get the paint on yet. That will probably be tomorrow morning.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-coupler-2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	160606   Click image for larger version

Name:	new-frame-curb-side.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	160607  

Name:	new-frame-overall.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	160608   Click image for larger version

Name:	new-frame-street-side.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	160609  

Name:	new-tongue-1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	160610   Click image for larger version

Name:	new-tongue-3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	160611  

Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Aaah, I see you didn't lift off, but your sure got a lot done! Your front plate (that the spare tire was mounted to) really is there to keep your trailer shell on. My Bambi II had the tire holder in the back. Pretty sure they were after-market. My hubby made me a spare tire holder that mounts under the trailer in the front A frame. He made it out of conduit, so it wasn't pricey either! Keep up all the great work, Ben!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Looking good Ben! You should come to The Bash III in July. Your Scotty or your van is welcome. There will be many vintage AS's to see.

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #36
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Don't know if you like this idea but.... We fabricated a dual battery tray and mounted it behind the propane bottles on our B II. Suspended below the tray is a spare tire. It's an emergency spare off an '80s Chrysler product ($15 from salvage yard). A standard tire would be too wide to provide ground clearance. Had the cover fabricated at a sheet metal shop. The top half stores sewer hoses. The 2 golf cart batteries sit end to end. The only measurements needed for the spare tire are matching the bolt pattern and overall diameter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-408477465.png
Views:	161
Size:	620.3 KB
ID:	160631  
Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
Looking good Ben! You should come to The Bash III in July. Your Scotty or your van is welcome. There will be many vintage AS's to see.

Ace in PA
Hi Ace-

Thanks for the invite. We feel welcomed...and I know I could come with the Scotty or the Corvair van (or both- see attached pictures of a car show we attended yesterday with the rig- lots of lookers and lots of stories were told- "We traveled in a caravan of 250 Scottys out West when I was a kid!"; "My family of four went across country in one of those little trailers!").

I am strapped for time this Summer with doctoral classes, and Lynn is expecting another baby at the end of the Summer. Because of these two things, our travels will be short and close this Summer. I do want to make the Bash sooner than later, though. Sounds like one heck of a party! We are hoping to make the Big Little Rally in August- if the doctors give the OK and Lynn is feeling up to it. Hope to see you there!

Ben
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Greenbrier-Scotty-for-web-1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	160635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenbrier-Scotty-for-web-2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	160636  

Name:	Greenbrier-Scotty-for-web-3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	160637  
Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
More gutting...

We finally got ahead of the nursery project for the new baby, so for the first time since early June, I got out in the Airstream.

My goals in the beginning had not been to take the entire interior out, but that is the plan now, so I removed the overhead cabinets, all electrical outlets and switches, and some of the univolt/electrical breakers, etc. I am trying to get rid of all the obstructions to removing the lower interior skins.

It felt good to finally get back to it! I am still weighing interiors in my mind, but think I have bunk beds figured out and a split kitchen. Should work well.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Do you have any pictures of how the cabinets were attached to the walls (the upper ones)? Mine were out when I got it & I'm not sure of how to attach new ones after/while making them. Glad you're back at it! I can't wait to see your ideas come to life!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Hanging Cabinets

Becky,

Here's a pic from the Overlander that shows how the cabinets were hung. Note the small pieces of aluminum angle in the center support. The locker was also supported by screws that came in from either side.

Our '65 Caravel originally used the same method, including on the unsupported end of the galley overhead cabinet, right by the front door. If I dig hard enough, I can find the PO's 4x4 that held up the failed cabinet support.

When redoing the caravel, I used about 8" of aluminum angle, kerfed so that it would lay against the inner skin. I used 6 bellypan rivets to anchor the angle to the skin. Held well for over 20,000 miles and we never worried about the weight above.

We also screwed through the top of the cabinet into ribs, but didn't do that on the bottom edge -- allowing it to flex. I'd use some of the VTS rubber trim on that edge to prevent chafing as it rubs on the walls.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabinet.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	163543  
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote