Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #41
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
I looked at your pictures and in one one shot there is a skid that hangs down from the axle. I'm guessing that it is protection for a blowout or loss of the wheel. I,ve never seen anything like that before.
That was not uncommon on single axle 1960's era trailers. Keeps from destroying the underside, bumper, etc.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We don't have the skid plates...but are thinking of adding them when we change out our axle this year. I think they are a good idea for single axle trailers ~

I would definately keep them on the Caravel, especially if you still have the original axle...original '65 Caravel axles are kinda known for having lightweight spindles and occasionally (more often than any other model) snapping off. Thet would be one of the first things on my list of things to do...change your axle. Once that is done...no more worries! Great trailer ~

We were following our friends Caravel when it's spindle decided to give out...not a pretty picture!

You may want to search the forums for more info on this...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Sheri, nice website you guys have and nice to have the door open the right way. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted even if the frame turns outto be rotted out. I just hope there is a good radio that only plays the '60s.

Barry
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoAir
Sheri, nice website you guys have and nice to have the door open the right way. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted even if the frame turns outto be rotted out. I just hope there is a good radio that only plays the '60s.

Barry
Thanks for the kudos on the website...I really need to spend some time updating it, it's been awhile. I have tons of pics from the last year or so...and will we are getting into our spring restoration season this year too.

I like our door swing direction too - especially not having to worry about the door swinging open in-transit! The only time it was a challenge was when trying to figure out how to get an awning that would still allow the door to open all the way. Most awnings, if they have arms that attach to the trailer prevent the door from opening flat to the body. No biggie, we wanted a vintage-style tent-pole & stake style anyway.

I have that 60's music thing all figured out...we have an old box radio (aqua, of course!) and then set my iPod up with the "Best of (my favorites) the 60's" on it. Fun during an Open House!

Good luck with your "new" trailer...I hope you enjoy it as much as we have ours!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #45
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
It looks to me like someone has replaced the skinny little stanchion that I have seen in other Caravels with a 6x6. Is that stanchion structural? I just don't see anything supporting cabinets elsewhere.

Barry
you could put a piece of tree limb there and add dowel rods for a one of a kind rustic coffee cup holder..... (All joking aside I kinda like the idea)

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Removing the Vent to Pass Under Bridges

If I have to have this hauled out of FL to PA removal of this vent housing might be imnportant. Is this original? Looks to me like 4 nuts is all that holds it in place. Could be replaced with a window made of heavy plastic and duct tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Vent Side View.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	33916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Vent from Inside.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	733.5 KB
ID:	33917  

Attached Images

Old 03-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #47
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
If I have to have this hauled out of FL to PA removal of this vent housing might be imnportant. Is this original? Looks to me like 4 nuts is all that holds it in place. Could be replaced with a window made of heavy plastic and duct tape.
No that is not original. I would take it off for the trip and use 100mph tape and a sheet of aluminum over the hole.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Would it be better to secure the trailer to the haul trailer by the tongue and the rear bumper/frame or by the tongue and the wheels? The inspector says the axle is in good shape. The latter would let the rubber absorb some of the shock of the ride so I think that is better. Right?

Barry
Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I would tie it down in five places. The tongue, two on the axle where it connects to the frame, and in the back but with blocks under the frame to prevent bowing the frame downward in the back.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I am in contact with the Hot Shot trucker who will be bringing it up along with a vintage tractor on 4/14. He is going to tarp it and I will give him the tie-down plan. I spoke with a neighbor of his in upstate NY and she says he is a good guy and she is well spoken. So I think my new baby will be in good hands.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:12 AM   #51
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Question Tarped and weathered...

Quote:
...the Hot Shot trucker.... is going to tarp it.....
I don't know what your plan is, if you are going to polish your finish right away or keep it as is for a while but depending how your baby is tarped you could cause some abrasion damage on the trip home. I'm not too familiar with the issue except I know that many people warn against tarping in winter and your one way trip home is about a whole winters worth of wind whipping against the trailer. It may be safer to forget the tarp unless it's a big heavy canvas one wrapped and tied tightly against the skin.

Anybody else have an opinion on that?

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #52
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
no tarp

Im with Steve on this one, I advise against tarping unless there is a compelling reason to do so. These campers are designed to go down the road....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:28 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
no reason to tarp it. just give it a good airbath on the trip home.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Vent Remains the Only Issue

There are a couple of matters that indicate tarping. The forum member who look the trailer over said the plastic shroud over the roof vent is cracked and the rock guard frame needs to be secured. I have plenty of time but so far have been unable to find anyone to take care of these coule of things so I figured tarping by the trucker would solve both of them. He probably does not carry a ladder and I would be afraid he would dent the skin. The floor is reportedly solid so I hate to see the trailer run through hours of driving rain. Does it look like most of the water that would make it through the shroud would be diverted by the plastic lid? The trucker seems pretty cooperative so I can ask him to wire the front stone guard down to solve that one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Vent from Inside.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	733.5 KB
ID:	34633  
Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Made it through the Nor'easter.

Jim, the driver of the rig bringing my Carvel up from central Florida, had sense enought to hold up a day waiting for the nor'easter and its associated high winds to subside. I helped him unload her last night and took a little bit of time today to check her out. I am happy to report that the frame has only surface rust, the red patches of fuzz on the belly pan are not fibreglass coming through holes but little red insect nests, no suprises in the skin, sound floor, no broken glass, some unexplored torn out pop rivets in the inner shell over the door, couple of days of just cleaning to be done and the keys to the door work. From where we unloaded her in a parking lot, I towed her 6 miles to my vacant property and no problem. Guess I will go right for the worst thing and start scraping/cleaning. I will remove that vent cover and replace with something to keep any rain out while I decide between an AC or vent. I don't see anything to keep the shower water from coming out onto the wood/carpeted floor. I am telling people this is my 2,000 pound ticket to sunny Florida next Winter.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #56

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
....... I am telling people this is my 2,000 pound ticket to sunny Florida next Winter.
Way to go! You must feel great that she made it home safely. Post more pics when she's cleaned up

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 04-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I did a lot of cleaningadn got the carpeting out and down to what seem to be the original tiled floor. It is decision time as the 3/4 deck is rotten at most of the perimeter under the shell although the rest has only problems at one seam and right inside the door.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I got almost everything out of the interior except the toilet, gray and black water tanks that I will do tomorrow and the fibreglass bathroom will stay with the shell. One Cameleon and lots of red ants but no water moccasin so far. It was so warm here in PA today if there were baby alligators in the belly pan they would have come out today. My .128" drill is ready to drop the pan in a few days.

Should I move to the frame/shell replacement section?

Barry
Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Why I had to do it

I forgot to mention that I found rot almost everywhere around the outside edge of the flooring so it's a full monty or monti.

Here is a picture with almost everything out and before tarping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4.23.07.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	36105  
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #60

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
I guess that sort of answers the question: "What do you expect for 3k?".

Good luck with the project though...you're going to have a real gem when you are finished. Keep us posted

Steve