Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Ah, this is why Airstream makes so many lengths/floorplans. Most everyone has hit the nail on the head. Very personal decisions when making a tough (and potentially very expensive) call. When I was getting ready to buy my first Airstream, I was fixed on a 25. What I read here on AF multiple times was: "pick out the trailer you like, then buy the next larger model." I followed that advice and bought a 2012 28' Intl CCD. Then, two years later I bought the 30' Classic. As far as parking goes: the length of my trailer has not kept me from a single campground or boon-docking location. (Yes, I know some National Parks, State Parks, Corps of Engineers do have size limits.) I don't think "non-availability of a campsite" would be a reason to limit the length of a trailer -- for me, anyway. What I really like is having larger water, gray and black tanks. A bathroom and separate shower. (If I'm in an Airstream, WHY would I use a campground shower??) Decent storage. AND (this is a big one), if you plan to use it a lot -- and you should -- think about what it's like if you and your mate are stuck in there for 1-2-3 days of solid rain. We were camping in a SC State Park this week (Hunting Island), it had 50 amp service and water. This campground was built in 1935 and I lost track of the huge 5th wheels, genormous toy haulers and MoHo's that were parked throughout the 150+ spaces. This summer we also did two lengthy trips where we had NO hookups at all. The best part of an Airstream is that it's a TRAVEL trailer rather than a campground queen with 4 slideouts, an outdoor kitchen, outdoor wet bar and outdoor flat screen TV! Something for everyone, right?
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Gatineau , Quebec
Thanks for your help !

I am looking to change my fifth wheel since I think it is too big for travelling - Yes we have a lot a space in it but when we do camping we are mostly outside anyway and we had a lot a problems with it - a lot - and now I hate my fifth wheel. We do want a best product, better quality, easy to tow and we want a smaller unit. So I went to de dealer in order to change it I saw some airstreams - Do not ask me why but, we do love them... We now feel that other trailers are just ... ordinary .... white box with no personality. I think I will go with the 25FB with 2 ac - I do not mind when it's cold but we can't handle when it is too hot particularly when it is time to sleep ( we are Canadian so ...) ...
ameliepat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
While I agree that it comes down to personal preference, I would go with the 25' with the panoramic windows on each end. That single feature alone makes the difference for us with our 27FB. Go to an AS dealer and mill around. Make a list of what you like / need.

GOOD LUCK!
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
. . . The best part of an Airstream is that it's a TRAVEL trailer rather than a campground queen with 4 slideouts, an outdoor kitchen, outdoor wet bar and outdoor flat screen TV! Something for everyone, right?
Absolutely, understanding this is a basis for putting up with these tiny houses that tow so nicely (even when wind keeps the fivers and Moho's off the road) and look and feel so good when tucked into their campsite.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
We are only 2 (retired couple) who sometimes have a grandchild on board. We have a 23' FB FC. #1 smaller & easier to pull & park - #2 queen bed - #3 double sink (boon docking) - #4 bathroom w big window & separate shower BUT!!! BIG BUT!!! We took out the dinette & put in a couch that makes into a bed (adequate for 1 adult or 2 grandchildren) LOVE it. (BTW, Storage in the FC is more than we need.)
Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
2021 16' Caravel
2021 Atlas
Grand Haven , Alaska
You are asking valid questions. That's what this forum is all about. Sometimes responders get short I guess.

My (three year) 10,000 mile experience in towing my 25 international is always pleasurable. Can't wait to hook it up and go. Very stable behind my 1/2 ton TV. But I occasionally second guess why I didn't go 27-28.
So I agree, spend time in one at dealer, but remember, compared to a 5th wheel you will be leaving big things behind. There is Plenty of small storage. the AS philosophy is to travel light so you can Always travel, and leave those "house" things at home.
Good luck
justjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had three Airstreams over the Last ten years. We have spent 1,800 nights in them, and have towed the over 150,000 miles.

We started off with a 2005 Safari 25FB that we bought new. We used it extensively for eight years, and enjoyed it immensely. We decided to downsize and bought a slightly used 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB. We camped in it for ten months and towed it 15,000 miles. We also enjoyed this Airstream, but found it just a little too tight with the 6" thinner body. We also found the 18 gallon black tank too small for our camping style. We decided to go back to a 25fb. We bought a new 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. We have already spent over 250 nights in our new Airstream. We are back in the right Airstream for us.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We started with a new 2013 25FB International Serenity acquired sight unseen. Cracked my head sitting up in bed on the roof lockers. Had to climb out of bed as there is no walk around floor between the bed the and the front wall. Towed with a 2012 RAM 2500HD Cummins.

Traded in the 25FB in less than a year for a customized 2014 31' Classic. We absolutely love this trailer and spent the entire summer in it on our lot in an Airstream only RV park in Lakeside, AZ that was 30 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

We added a 2015 23D International Serenity for our weekend camping fun and tow it with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel. While the bed is cozy, at least it is inline with the flow of the trailer. I think the 23D, after our extensive modifications, actually has more accessible storage than the 25FB. We have five 100 watt solar panels and a 300 amp hour lithium battery for off grid camping. The achilles heel is the rather small capacity black and grey tanks. The fresh water capacity is the same as the 25FB.

Spend lots of time looking, sitting on the toilet checking leg room, lying on the bed, sitting at the dinette and looking at the TV screen (straight on or twisted neck), visualizing where everything you think you need will be stowed. There is a huge dealer (Airstream Adventures at Gladstone in northern Oregon) I visited that has at least one of every model floor plan on premise.

I did tow the new empty 25FB home from Los Angles with the Mercedes, but it was not happy after we filled it up with the fully loaded camping weight of 6,900 pounds. The car does well with the loaded 23D at 6,068 pounds camping ready.

The 31' Classic is easier to reverse and park for me than the 23D.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #29

2016 23' International
Santa Rosa , California
Our experience

My wife and I joined the Airstream community in January moving up to a 23D Serenity from a VW Westvalia. We had a number of 3 to 4 night trips before embarking on a 3 week trip up the west coast to Vancouver Island. At the conclusion of that experience we traded up to a 26U at a considerable $ penalty given depreciation and the California sales tax on both. As with previous comments we struggled with the corner bed, small bathroom and limited tank storage. We love the 26U and wish we would have had a chance to "test drive" the 23 before purchase. Go larger. Alan
Ajax1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #30
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We love our 23FB FC. The front bed works fine for us. It's plenty large for me, and I'm a shade over 6'5". The rear bath is much larger, and it isn't broken up with a shower on one side and the toilet on the other. We find the dinette fine for two, we almost always have a great view from backing in the trailer, and angling it a little towards the lake or valley we are camped next to. It pulls great, and goes anywhere. When we are camping we are outside 90% of the time. We've had it for four years and haven't once turned on a TV. We dry camp most of the time, and find the water and waste water tanks hold enough, if we are careful. We just prefer to find out of the way campgrounds in the trees, and figure the smaller trailer would get us back to the "best" sites. (For us). We have stayed one night outside Rocky Mtn National Park in a parking lot type CG, that's just not for us, but it was packed with people having a blast. As they say, different strokes..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaebrewer View Post
BUT!!! BIG BUT!!! We took out the dinette & put in a couch that makes into a bed (adequate for 1 adult or 2 grandchildren) LOVE it. (BTW, Storage in the FC is more than we need.)
Could you please post a picture? We would like to re-configure the dinette area.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Palmdale , California
27' FB fc Twin

Before u Buy look at this one it has everything u need
baterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We are very happy with our 23FB. Advantages for us include the narrower width profile, 39gal fresh water tank, queen bed, counter space, roomy bath, good carrying capacity and storage. Features I wish it had include ability to upgrade to 16" tires and wheels (Michelin LRE) and more ground clearance. I have upgraded to the 15" tires and wheels from the standard 14" and have a Dexter lift kit that I want to install, if I can find someone competent enough that knows how to jack up an Airstream and do it right.

The 23' is just a nice travel trailer size for the two of us, plus dog. One would always like more room offered in the larger units, but with that comes more to tow. There are compromises with whatever you chose. You just need to find the balance that works for you.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Well I've had both and I found that the 25 with twin beds was the ticket for us. Overall it Was a lot more comfortable. You said something about camping in hot weather. If that's the case I definitely would go with two air-conditioners. I live in South Texas. On a 100 deg day with little to no shade one AC just won't keep up. Either way enjoy yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Photos:Click image for larger version

Name:	Annie:Interior.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	272656

Click image for larger version