Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Burlington , Ontario
Importing to Canada

Read a few threads that makes it seem fairly easy.

But how hard is it to bring an Airstream up to Canada?

Thanks.

C.
CanuckStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
New or used?
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Might check with Andy Thompson at CanAm RV Centre in London, Ontario Canada. He and his family have been an Airstream dealer for decades. Their number is (866) 226-2678.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bradenton , Florida
I took mine into Canada and when I crossed over they gave me a little form (can't remember the name/number MAYBE E99) that only allowed me to keep it in Canada for a limited amount of time (I think it was either 60 or 90 days) there was no charge for this.
However at the time I didn't catch on to the time limitation and since I wanted to keep it in CN for several years CONTINUOUSLY I LATER HAD TO PAY THE IMPORT DUTY ON IT BASED ON ITS VALUE. THE VALUE WOULD NORMALLY BE DETERMINED AT THE BORDER (with an inspection) WHEN YOU BRING IT IN BUT SINCE I DIDN'T APPLY FOR THE EXTENDED STAY TILL LATER I HAD TO SUPPLY COMPARABLE VALUES ETC. AND THEY THREATENED TO MAKE ME RETURN IT TO A PORT OF ENTRY FOR AN INSPECTION BUT SINCE I CLAIMED THAT THIS WOULD CAUSE UNDUE HARDSHIP THEY EVENTUALLY ACCEPTED SOME APPRAISAL FROM A RV DEALER THAT HAD PREVIOUSLY WORKED ON IT ALONG WITH SOMME PHOTOS OF THE TRAILER. I BELIEVE THE DUTY WAS 13% OF THE VALUE ALTHOUGH THAT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT NOW. If you plan to pay the duty it might be wise to bring with you some documentation such as an appraisal from a RV dealer or some comparable values downloaded from the internet and this might speed up what could be a delay at the border.
Cheers!
johnganis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Burlington , Ontario
used unit.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Burlington , Ontario
Thanks very much. Yeah I think its still 13%
Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Burlington , Ontario
have worked with the great folks at Can-Am when we purchased new. They would be my go-to service people as they are incredible people.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
There is no duty on US made RV's. Is this a trailer you are importing because early Sprinter based models are not permitted. Your best resource is RIV.ca to check the procedures and list of RVs that can be imported. It is easy if you are prepared. Based on my experiences there isn't really any savings if you can find what you want here and negotiate the price to match current US prices. The US had a much better selection however. Check with Canam too, they may have information on units coming for sale etc.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Burlington , Ontario
Trailer. Looking at upgrading from our 16 into a 25, 26, or 27.

Dollar is up a bit and much more selection south of the border when it comes to used vehicles IMO.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As a general note for *anybody* shopping in the US for a used trailer .... There are a bunch that got wet in the storms. Some of them (along with cars and trucks) will be hitting the market soon. Not every one of them will be documented as "soggy". Be careful !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
The 13% would not be duty, but provincial and federal sales taxes.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Easy!

Depending on your Province you will have a Vehicle Import Program. I’m in Ontario and over the years I have imported a 1969 Globetrotter 21’ , 1961 Overlander 26’, 1963 Globetrotter 19’, and a 2005 CCD International 22’. The vintage trailers are all exempt from import taxes and inspection rules. The newer one I paid import tax and an air conditioner fee. I had 15 day sticker to get inspection done at Canadian tire, it is a joke they just check all the propane, weight and serial number plates to make sure they match to the customs import pape and registration. My only issue was the damn registration in Virginia had typed the Wong serial number on the certificate. MTO wanted me to take it back to Virginia. Hell no I got the factory to give me a letter verifying the number and I just changed it on the customs papers and got my registration fine from MTO.
Moral just make sure the paperwork is correct, ownership and bill of sale is so important.
I now see you are from Ontario so yes it is pretty straight forward!

Here is the correct website that will give you the exact steps to import a trailer

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road...g-vehicle.html
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Preparing all the necessary title documents doesn't have to be a daunting task either.
Just because there is a border between us doesn't mean you can't enjoy great savings on a new or used Air stream.

Delivery: Before Crossing The Border -
Canada Will Require the Following:
  1. Produce your title documents, registration and sales receipts.
  2. Complete Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, which Canada Border Services Agency will provide. This requires a Canadian mailing address. This form must be kept in the vehicle until it is licensed.
  3. Canada Border Services Agency will check your vehicle against Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. They will also verify the public VIN and manufacturer's statemnt of compliance label on the vehicle to make sure they match.
  4. Canada Border Services Agency will collect your non refundable Registrar of Imported Vehicles' fee of $195.00 + GST in all provinces except Quebec where it is $195.00 + GST and QST.
  5. Payment for the RIV fee may be made directly to Canada Border Services Agency with any major credit card. Canada Border Services Agency does not accept cash or schedules for the RIV fee. If you wish to pay by check or money order, Canada Border Services Agency will provide you with a payment envelope which must be mailed to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Please note that all personal checks will be held for ten business days in order to allow them to clear the bank. This will use up a portion of your 45 day time limit.
  6. Remember that payment of fees and receipt of the Vehicle Import Form - Form 1 does not warrant that your vehicle is capable of being brought into conformity with all applicable federal and provincial or territorial laws.
  7. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will not issue a federal inspection form or any specific medication information for a vehicle with an unpaid file. It is important that you do not proceed with any modifications on your vehicle until your receive this federal inspection form. If the file remains unpaid for 14 days after importation, we will send the importer a reminder of notice; if payment still has not been received within the proscribed 45 days after the date of importation, the file will be forwarded to Transport Canada for enforcement. The compliance status of every vehicle entering Canada through the RIV system is shared with all provincial and territorial licensing jurisdictions. Non compliance with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act may result in a refusal to license, or a revocation of an existing registration.

Delivery: After Crossing the Border -
Canada Will Require the Following:

• After payment and the recall clearance documentation have been received by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles an Inspection Form will be mailed which details what must be done to bring your vehicle into compliance.
  • It is your responsibility to complete the necessary modifications within 45 days. You may have the modifications done by the mechanic or garage of your choice. However, we recommend that you contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer to discuss appropriate parts of warranty issues. Make sure you keep receipts for parts and labor to present at the inspection, along with Form 1, Form 2, and the recall clearance letter.
  • The RIV has contracted with Canadian Tire, with 470 locations across Canada, to perform our federal inspections. In many cases Canadian Tire can perform certain modification work as well as performing the provincial inspection.
  • When you pass the inspection, the inspection center will stamp your Form 1, that you will have to present to the provincial or territorial licensing authority, which may require additional testing.
  • Within approximately one week of passing the federal inspection, we will send you a new Canadian Certification label with instructions on where to affix it to your website.
  • If the vehicle fails the inspection, you'll have to pay additional charges for another inspection. If the vehicle cannot pass the inspection within the 45 days, it will have to be exported back to the United States.
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote