Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Importing into Canada from USA?

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering about importing a 1985 Airstream travel trailer. Would I need a "Recall Clearance Letter" from the manufacturer for a travel trailer that is 22 years old? Would I have to pay an Airconditioning Tax, or is this secifically for self-propelled motorized vehicles? Would a travel trailer that is this old need to go through a "Federal Inspection?" How would I go about getting transportation or temporary insurance to get it from Seattle, WA - to Vancouver, BC? And lastly, where can I pick up any and all forms that are required to import a travel trailer from the United States?

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
All the forms are available at the local Canada Customs office when you bring the trailer back. The $100 air conditioning tax applies only to self propelled vehicles so there would be NO $100 tax on the trailer.

Full details are at Registrar of Imported Vehicles RIV: How to import a U.S made vehicle into Canada which is the agency that looks after it all.

Good luck.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
In addition to the information you'll find on the RIV website, I also wrote a little blurb here on my experiences importing an Airstream from the US into Canada.

Have fun!
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Rod

When Lee picked up his '51 in Edmonds in May he had the seller put three days of transit insurance on the trailer, noting that it was being towed by Lee .... When we got to the US border he stopped and did the paperwork with them but I understand they had suggested that since it was not motorized he didn't really need to. It would be worth asking on your way down. If you have any other questions I can put you in contact with Lee (he's the one who camps with us at TCT). There was not comment at the border about his A/C that I'm aware of. Good thing, it's very old and it doesn't work.

You could also ask Tim about his Riv - I think he might have done the same with the insurance side of it but I'm not sure.

Good luck with the Stream.

Barry
Old 02-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
Rod, how did it all go for you?
I'm about to arrange moving a 1988 31' from Colorado to Vancouver BC. I understand most of what's available in the research given. However, I was contemplating leaving it in CO for a few months or more. Anyone have advice on that kind of venture? I understand insurance, taxes may be more of a issue. Anyway, short notice as I'm already on my way; leaving Banff AB tomorrow. Any heads ups or warnings or tips greatly appreciated.
kidless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidless
Rod, how did it all go for you?
I'm about to arrange moving a 1988 31' from Colorado to Vancouver BC. I understand most of what's available in the research given. However, I was contemplating leaving it in CO for a few months or more. Anyone have advice on that kind of venture? I understand insurance, taxes may be more of a issue. Anyway, short notice as I'm already on my way; leaving Banff AB tomorrow. Any heads ups or warnings or tips greatly appreciated.
I brought an 87 into Canada from Michigan. All that was needed is a bill of sale and the title signed over. At the Canadian border I reported that I had bought the trailer and they will do the paperwork for you. I payed GST and was on my way.
As far as insurance, It is covered for liability from my truck insurance. I have never bothered with replacment as It cost half the price of the trailer.
I used the licence that was on the trailer as the border only checks the serial number, they don't care about the licence.
You will get a "Form 1" from customs and that is used to get the local licence plate when you register it at home.
You can even use your exemption when you cross back into Canada to reduce the GST owed.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Question for Shacksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
You can even use your exemption when you cross back into Canada to reduce the GST owed.
Hi Shacksman,

I will be bringing a new 2008 A/S 25 FB SE over from Oregon to BC in few weeks...can you elaborate a little more on what this "exemption" involves & how to qualify?

Thanks

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
If you spend a week in the U.S. you have a $750 allowance before you pay GST. You can take this off the price of the trailer. For an old trailer it helps but for a new one it won't add up to much.
1950 Spartan
Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
Hi Shacksman,

I will be bringing a new 2008 A/S 25 FB SE over from Oregon to BC in few weeks...can you elaborate a little more on what this "exemption" involves & how to qualify?

Thanks

-evan
If there are two of you, depending on the Customs Agent you get, they may take the credit you have both accrued and apply it. It adds up pretty quickly (750 x 2).

There's also a 48 hour exemption if you are not down for the 7 day period. Ask customs on your way down. It could be worth your while to hang out at a nice campground and work your way slowly back home to take advantage of the larger amount available.

Barry
Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
If there are two of you, depending on the Customs Agent you get, they may take the credit you have both accrued and apply it. It adds up pretty quickly (750 x 2).
Barry
We tried that and no go. They said only I excemption per item.
1950 Spartan
Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Too bad. When my buddy brought his '53 in last April they allowed both exemptions. I guess it is an individual agent decision.

Barry