Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lethbridge , Alberta
Differences Classic 34 Widebody vs Narrowbody

We have been trying to locate a C34W to view within reasonable distance for weeks now without any success. We have just started considering an early 90s narrowbody C34.

I tried every term I could think of to search for the differences, other than the obvious 6" in width, but nothing seems to catch.

We are interested in knowing all the differences, but storage is at the top of the list. For example, what is the difference in the roof/wall radius and what are the dimensions of the respective overhead lockers?

Oh yes, we can see from photos that the earlier C34s do not have a fully molded shower stall. Is there any common problem with water seepage at the seams?

Any and all information to help in decision making is welcome.

Thanks
GeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FWIW, we had a 19' Bambi (non widebody) and upgraded to the 25' Safari (widebody). The widebody is perfect. I was amazed at how 6" could help the interior. Having had the widebody now for about 2 years, I can safely say that I'd be hard pressed to go to a non widebody. It's my take that the roof lockers and such are the same. The roof truss is where the extention comes. For example, on the Bambi, I could see one piece of sheetmetal for the roofline. On the Safari, there is a 6-7" addition to the width of the roof sheet, riveted in line with the main sheet.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think the curve radius or roof lockers change at all, you just get more real estate inside (and out).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi geejay....

as for finding one to look at, it is odd you have struck out....how about contacting your local wbcci chapter and finding a member who has a long boy....or a member who has sales booklets from over the years.....

and go to a rally.....lots of rigs to see there....if you are polite....

you are gonna draw blanks on "knowing all the differences" related to pre wides, wides and late 05/up 34s....

the corner radius is unchanged....middle section is wider...so too frame and wheel base.

with so many floorplans/options of the last 12+ years.....front galleys, fireplaces, mid sofas, snack bars, washers/dryers, 2 doors, 2 sofas, corner tables, entertainment centers, lp gas tank placement, battery sizes, oven/microwave changes/tv size changes....one would need to limit themselves to the classic, classic floor plan for comparisons.....like i have.

lots of variability in storage, bed size/configuration, dinette size, galley, lav, closets, holding tank size and so on.

the wider body does make a difference in many of these areas....like walking around a queen size bed...or slightly deeper drawers, or wider counter tops and so on.......

also window placement effects how many and where cabinets are located...for example vista views mean overhead lockers are deleted in those areas...

twin bed models usually have 2 outside storage doors in rear and more storage space inside above beds...and between....

another issue is CARRYING CAPACITY....
and imo that may be more important than space in absolute sq. ft.

the trailers have gotten heavier over the years...and that sometimes results in less carrying capacity...regardless of volume available...

then, when they uprate the axle system.....
without changing the trailer...capacity increases again....

airstream has on their websites....specs, floorplans and parts manuals for many years...so one could print the floorplans and specs, and scan the parts manuals to get find some specific storage/space issues....

could also look over the many threads here for classics and 34s....

regards
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Craftsman

The earlier 34's had the kitchen on the curb side and the dinette on the street side like in the current 30 ' Airstreams. In the wide body this arrangement is just the opposite, with the dinette on the curb side and the kitchen on the street side. Anyone know why they made this change. With the current layout of the 34 the stove is next to the credenza and a set of curtains. if your TV is on the credenza, seems like any splashing from cooking goes on the curtains or the back of your TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31865_4.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	18276