Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2004, 10:50 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Hi Annette,

I like Ford trucks personally, although they tend not to ride as well as GM in the HD versions. I bought an F250 because I need a truck to be able to do everything, including carry a heavy load from time to time. The new F150 is really nice and can pull a trailer well, but can't carry 3000lbs in the back, or an overhead camper, which I may want to do at some point. Actually, they have a HD pkg but it only comes in a long bed, and with a supercab that makes for a really long truck. I live in a hilly, congested area and don't like a long wheelbase. I also tried a diesel F250 (used) but found it too noisy and industrial-feeling. I wanted 4x2 this time around to cut cost, improve fuel mileage and lower the ride height some. The F250 4x4 sits too high for my taste. I ended up with an F250 XLT 4x2, supercab, shortbed with 5.4 v8. It drives really well, gets great mileage on the hwy and pulls the trailer with ease. And they are really dealing on them now with the newer style coming out in 05. You can get one like mine new for $7k off msrp, or roughly $25-26k.

john
Old 06-19-2004, 11:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_safari
I think 31' is too long... Many of the nicer state park campgrounds have significant length restrictions and getting in and out, or finding a long enough pad ......Just my opinion. -john

John:

It might be a "California" thing.

At one time or another I've camped in most of the mid-west and southern states (granted, only a couple of parks in each state), but have not come across many that have a real "size" restriction - mostly, if you can get it in, you can stay - no tape measurement police to date .

State parks are great for "vacation" camping, but a bit pricey for full timing.

Anyone wanting to full time should really look into "Airstream Only" parks in the vicinity of the area they wish to stay.

The "most bang for the buck", in my opinion.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
I really appreciate the advice on tow vehicles. I figure buying one to suit the trailer instead of the other way around would make the most sense. ..... I am leaning towards another Ford and was thinking about an F250. ....... Got any tips on what I should be looking at?...annette

Annette:

Great thought process on your part on the tow vehicle.

Whichever brand you get, make sure you get at least an extended cab. I used to practically "live" out of my pickups - the extended cabs offer a secure, dry place that is utilized for many things, but be advised that the seating in the "extended cabs is really not comfortable for anyone over 5 or 6 years of age. -- Might consider a full crew cab with a short bed.

I am partial to Ford products, but have found the old 351 to be much superior to the 300 cu.inch straight 6 - I wouldn't imagine that either one of those engines are available anymore.

A good alternative is a heavy duty van - good low mileage conversion vans are an excellent buy. -- Make sure it is rated for your trailer - plus a bit of safety factor.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Hi Dennis,

>>. It might be a "California" thing.

At one time or another I've camped in most of the mid-west and southern states (granted, only a couple of parks in each state), but have not come across many that have a real "size" restriction - mostly, if you can get it in, you can stay - no tape measurement police to date <<<

Well, it may be. I didn't mean to imply there were "inspections" or something, just that many of the state parks out here are tight on room, being designed, years ago, for mostly tent or pickup campers. Many simply do not have space for anything longer than 24 ft. or so, especially near the coast, where they are often within redwood groves, or in some of the Sierra/Cascade parks. I just looked at the Calif State park website, and half of the 80 or so state park campgrounds are limited to 27 ft. or less, most of those being in the 24 ft. category. And of those with longer ratings, many only have a small number of those sites. If you come in late in the afternoon or near the weekend - good luck. But a smaller trailer can be squeezed in almost anywhere a large truck could go, and the park attendant often seems willing to help you out.

My point I guess, really revolves around freedom, and being able to get out there without scheduling everything, which is how I like to travel. I am not always sure where I will be at the end of the day. To me, that is what the Airstream represents - having a room for the night, in a pretty spot, wherever I am. Yes, sometimes you simply have to plan and make reservations, especially on peak summer weekends and near popular attractions, but for me, the less I have to do of that the better.

And I am mystified about your comment on fees. State parks here in the west are by far the least expensive way to go - generally anywhere from $12 to $20 per night, with a few more expensive in tourist areas. Calif just raised most of theirs from an average of $15 to $20. RV parks are almost always higher unless you stay for a month.

john
Old 06-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
Some nice people I met on the road gave me a tour of their 31' AS. It was nice and I especially like the rear bed and the extra living space. The owner told me that it is actually easier to back up than a smaller trailer (is that true?). So I guess I shouldn't be so closed minded. It just seems so big!!!!!

I'll try to stop being so hard-headed about this. Really. I mean it. (The smaller ones are just so much "cuter" )

Annette
Annette, it is true the longer trailers tend to be easier to back up, due in part to their (duh) longer length, the trailer wheels are further from the tow vehicle, and any action from the steering wheel is delayed and somewhat muted. As far as ease of towing, once you get past a certain length, usually around 25', the extra doesn't seem any harder to tow. You just have to allow for that extra couple of feet when at the gas station, and negotiating turns in tight quarters.
IIRC, a 27' Airstream has the first axle about 1' further back than a 25 footer, the 29 footer is a little over two feet further back, etc. So, a 31 foot trailer will only have an effective wheelbase (the part between the hitch and the front axle) only 36 inches longer than a 25 foot trailer. Also, the longer the wheelbase the better the ride, both in automobiles and trailers.
The "cute factor" is great for a while, but it will get old fast, having to squeeze past another occupant on a several times daily basis.
Terry
Old 06-20-2004, 09:15 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

truckin

John, I'm glad to know that an F150 might do the trick as that is what I'm leaning towards.

And, Dennis, I agree that an extended cab is a must! I just took my little Ford Ranger on a 3-wk road trip and even with a camper shell, I needed that extra storage space. That and the fact that I felt like my personal belongings were safer in the cab than in the bed.

OK, now if only those guys in StLouis would sell me their 76 Overlander....
annette
Old 06-20-2004, 09:18 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Land Yacht Harbor

As part of the AS search....I thought about checking in at Land Yacht Harbor in Olympia, Washington, to see if anyone has an AS for sale. Any advice on how I do this? Do I just show up there looking for "for sale" notices? There is a web site...should I go that route first? Anyone ever stay there?

Thanks,
annette
Old 06-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
5.4L in F150

Annette,

If you buy the F150, make sure that you get the 5.4L - not only does it have more torque for towing, but the rear axle is considerably larger, which you will need. And if you choose 4x2 try to get a limited slip rear axle for better traction. It can be added later but at roughly twice the cost ($600) of the factory option. And rear axle gearing is very important as it will affect your towing ease and comfort. Try to get 3.73 gears which are about the best overall for towing normal-sized trailers, although if you end up with a 30' trailer, I would be tempted to go with 4.10 as it gives more pulling power at the expense of some fuel economy. Because Ford uses such a tall OD ratio (.70), you will probably have to tow in 3rd (Drive) even with the 5.4L, and the 3.73 gives an excellent engine speed at 60mph in 3rd of around 2500-2600 rpm, depending on your tire size and height. The 4.10 will have you spinning 10% faster and wasting gas, and the 3.55, about 5% lower, which would also be workable. If you buy used, let me know, as there are ways to determine the ratios and options from the axle codes and tags.
Hope this isn't too much data

john
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

wow!

John, I'm speechless. I think when it's time to buy my truck I need to drag you along with me (do you need to come up to Oregon for any reason?). I will definitely print up your message on the F150 and take it with me when I go looking...and have someone explain what in the hell you're talking about!!!

annette
Old 06-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
well actually

I will be up there early to mid-July for a solar energy conference downtown (9th-14th). If you are close to a purchase I would be happy to give some advice/tips/look it over. Sorry for the data dump, but I do enjoy helping people buy vehicles I may be up there a day or two earlier but during the conference I am staying at Fairview RV Park on the east side off 84 - PM me if you want.

john
Old 07-11-2004, 04:02 PM   #31

2002 25' Safari
London , Ohio
I have a 2002 25' Safari that I am interested in selling. I also have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 4 door short bed with matching fiberglass cap. If you are interested in either let me know and I will take some pictures
Old 07-13-2004, 01:04 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Talking

Annette...I found an ad for a 98 Safari in today's paper here in Northern Ca...You might be able to work out a deal...I don't know how long it has been in the classifieds...you might be able to get a free tow from the seller too.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:45 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

nice shot

Annette,

we are selling our 1985 25' Sovereign (sorry, no tow vehicle to go with it...)
It's in excellent shape in/out, everything works, no leaks, two awnings, rock guards, ready to go. We do have pictures if you are interested.

Jon

p.s. not sure where the trailer to the left just came from but this isn't a picture of the one we're selling (we're brand new at this forum ... nothing wrong with a few surprises!)
Old 07-15-2004, 04:47 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

you betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlarson
Annette,

we are selling our 1985 25' Sovereign (sorry, no tow vehicle to go with it...)
It's in excellent shape in/out, everything works, no leaks, two awnings, rock guards, ready to go. We do have pictures if you are interested.

Jon
Jon, I am certainly interested! Send pics, location, price, etc.

Annette
Old 07-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Annette, George Sutton RV in Eugene has what looks like a nice vintage tradewind right now. They're asking top dollar on it, but it might be worth looking at. The pictures are on www.traderonline.com

Old 07-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

I know that Airstream - sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Annette, George Sutton RV in Eugene has what looks like a nice vintage tradewind right now. They're asking top dollar on it, but it might be worth looking at. The pictures are on www.traderonline.com
Hi Stef, I know the previous owner of that airstream. He was unwilling to sell it to me - or even show it to me - and that made me a little nervous...as in, was there a problem with it? (Dang, I hope he's not a forum member ) Anyway, he traded it in at G. Sutton. It does seem a bit pricey. On airstream.net there is a 1975 Tradewind (I think) for sale in Portland and I have a call in to them. Please keep me posted on trailers you run across and I will post to the forum as soon as I buy one....

annette
Old 07-15-2004, 05:34 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Sovereign

Not sure if I can send pictures while replying to this thread... I started to upload the file under 'manage attachments' - there are 20 jpgs or so in that file which will keep the computer tied for a while. For some reason it doesn't allow me to just pull a few... any ideas? Can I send the photos regular email?

We are an 1 1/2 NW of Denver & are asking $15,500 OBO. You can reach us at 970-887-1081.

Jon
Old 07-17-2004, 08:28 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

I found a home!

Well I finally did it. On Friday I bought a 1975 25' Tradewind. woooohooo! I am so happy I found one locally - and bought it from a really nice man who is willing to help me in any way he can, even with buying a tow vehicle.

So thanks to all of you who responded to my post. Your knowledge is invaluable. Now that I have this thing, I expect to become a real pain in the ass....I'll be all over these forums

Cheers,
annette
Old 07-17-2004, 08:45 PM   #39
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Airstreaming world.
WBCCI #3162, VAC
1969 Overlander International

"It's the little things in life that...."
Old 07-17-2004, 10:48 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Texas-bound...someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdleezer
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Airstreaming world.
Thanks for the welcome, John.

annette