Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I don't think anyone sees our karma. It is invisible aura around our head (and heart.) Know what you mean Roger, the first time I received it I felt really bad.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Pahaska, I respect you tremendously as a valuable member of these forums. Some of your input has been very helpful to me. What I am disagreeing with is the ability of any member to harm the reputation of another simply because of a disagreement on facts or information intended in a constructive fashion.
Maybe I'm just too sensitive but I think there are better ways to resolve differences of opinion than posting negative karma.

Respectfully,
Roger
I think negative Karma should be eliminated rather than the WBCCI private forums. I am sorry I contributed to a Forum that still allows Negative Karma. There I've said it.

In actuality, I came to this conclusion a long time ago when I received Negative Karma and the reason provided by the giver had nothing to do with the content of my post. I tried to get it removed, which I was told was not possible. My opinion then and now is that if you can't say something in public (i.e. you'd get censored if you put it in a reply), you shouldn't be able to put it in Negative Karma that only the recipient can see. I have never given it, and never will, but some folks test that resolve from time to time. I just plain see Negative Karma as "not playing nice". The ability to give it should be removed from the forums entirely. And as an aside, that Negative Karma I recieved has created a rift between the giver and myself that is still there many months later. The giver is probably a great guy most of the time, but I have not communicated with him since. The opportunity for a freindship was destroyed by Negative Karma.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
...And as an aside, that Negative Karma I recieved has created a rift between the giver and myself that is still there many months later. The giver is probably a great guy most of the time, but I have not communicated with him since. The opportunity for a freindship was destroyed by Negative Karma...
I understand what you are saying. There have been times here and there over the years on this forum where my reaction to a post was to give out negative karma but I didn't and I still won't. I don't understand the purpose of it (i.e., disagreeing in private?) and fear it would create an unnecessary rift between my self and the recipient. I prefer to "respectively" disagree in public as I feel that the negative karma option is not a viable way to do that. If there is no way I can "respectively" disagree, then I keep my mouth shut.

IMHO, life is too short for giving or receiving negative karma.

I make a motion that everyone gives Roger a shot of good karma! If you accept my motion, just give him the karma instead of raising your hand!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:12 AM   #158
Site Team

, Minnesota
Negative karma?

Keep the negative karma. The times I've received negative karma, it was usually an idiot who didn't understand the issue, or an irrational bully.

I like knowing who they are, and they reveal themselves with their petty little jabs.

Let it roll.

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #159

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
ASForum staff is not actively recruiting Units to sign-up. No email/mailing has been sent out to the WBCCI Presidents to encourage involvement, like Steph said, it's slow. If Forum members that ARE involved in WBCCI want to initiate a Unit Forum, they are welcome too. As more & more do...others will join, the "me too" syndrome.

Shari
I recruited our local pres for the Greater St. Louis Unit 058 last week. He talked about it at the state rally with the local officers who were cool to the idea. I did get an email from him yesterday and he did request that we set a site up. He thinks the folks will warm up to it once they get past the hurdles of registering with the forums (I assume you need to be a member).

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I recruited our local pres for the Greater St. Louis Unit 058 last week. He talked about it at the state rally with the local officers who were cool to the idea.
That's fine, I'm not saying nobody has individually talked to people about joining in, obviously that has occured for there to be a few set-up...there's just not been a formal recruiting effort to date.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #161
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Negative karma thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Keep the negative karma. The times I've received negative karma, it was usually an idiot who didn't understand the issue, or an irrational bully.

I like knowing who they are, and they reveal themselves with their petty little jabs.
Why don't we start a thread on "Negative Karma?" It seems that the fact that negative karma is secret that it gives some people the feeling that they can be meanspirited cause no one will ever know except the recipient.

Hence, my proposal for a "Negative Karma" thread would be simply a thread where those who choose to publicize their negative karma can do so for all to see. Perhaps the post could include a link to the post that received the negative karma, along with the forum id of the person who left it along with whatever message they left. By making this private nastiness public will force people to think twice before they leave negative karma because they won't know if the person will post the karma publically. From what I have seen in my short visit to this forum, this forum is very open and well moderated. As long as people are civilized in their discussions, the moderators pretty much let anything happen. Hence, why is private negative karma needed?

Just my $0.25.

P.S.
I would start the negative karma thread myself, but I haven't received any negative karma yet!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
This looks pretty simple to me: a forum poll to keep or get rid of the negative karma thing. Give this poll a block to time, maybe two weeks, before closing; simple majority of voters decide the issue for all time, never to reappear. For myself, who needs it? The positive K is a feel-good, but we don't need to support feeling bad among our members. Mods have the authority to keep the posts in line with acceptable discussion, 'nuff said. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #163
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
This looks pretty simple to me: a forum poll to keep or get rid of the negative karma thing. Give this poll a block to time, maybe two weeks, before closing; simple majority of voters decide the issue for all time, never to reappear. For myself, who needs it? The positive K is a feel-good, but we don't need to support feeling bad among our members. Mods have the authority to keep the posts in line with acceptable discussion, 'nuff said. ~G
A poll is fine but is this topic something that can be decided thru a poll? Regardless of what the poll indicates, are the mods up for putting this up for a democratic vote and then following thru on the outcome?

Regardless of what happens, if negative karma stays, I will be publicizing any negative karma that I receive.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #164
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Giving negative karma is, at least for myself and most mods, for an issue that can't be ignored, but isn't bad enough for any "official" sanctions, like a ding on your warn meter. A "warn" is more severe than a dose of negative karma, and the warn is staring you in the face every time you make a post, whereas the negative karma can be overcome by someone (anyone) giving you positive karma. We also give positive karma, not just negative.
If negative karma were done away with, the only option for a "bad" or "unpleasant" post would be to use the warn meter, which is usually worse action than most issues deserve.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #165
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebfa
P.S.
I would start the negative karma thread myself, but I haven't received any negative karma yet!
Nah. That's just too tempting.

I need to say I think negative karma does have a purpose. If you could only give positive karma, it would be worthless. It's a yin/yang thang.

As the moderators say, it's kind of a gentler form of a warning.

Despite my feelings, I have never given negative karma and don't think I ever will. I'm sure I have given out a lot more karma than I have received, and it makes me feel good every time I do it.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
How does taking official business away from the official WBCCI site help the WBCCI?
Whoever introduced this as "official business" was wrong. The areas are an opportunity for fellow travelers to communicate. Now I know communicating amoung the members is not encouraged by officers and board members of WBCCI in general. I suspect the latest VAC newsletter has them p.... themselves. Official Communication is a one way process except for token "interest" in members ideas. If you don't want to communicate then don't. I really don't understand the petty fussing that goes on around this WBCCI issues. It's a dying organization which will be replaced or not by a different organization. Really simple stuff. Those who have a high need to follow and encourage the WBCCI cultural should do so. People need to spend more time with I am going to and less time and energy on you shouldn't.

That said why hasn't chuck setup the NEU site yet?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #167
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If negative karma were done away with, the only option for a "bad" or "unpleasant" post would be to use the warn meter, which is usually worse action than most issues deserve.
There is another option -- you could send the person a private message for a "first offense" which takes the shock of the "ding" out of the equation. Use the negative karma for a second offense, etc.

Now I'm curious ... what does a person have to do to get negative karma from a mod?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #168

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebfa
There is another option -- you could send the person a private message for a "first offense" which takes the shock of the "ding" out of the equation. Use the negative karma for a second offense, etc.

Now I'm curious ... what does a person have to do to get negative karma from a mod?
Folks, not to limit discussion here but the karma talk is way off topic to the purpose of this thread. Let's deal with the original intent which was to announce the new feature of the WBCCI fourms area.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote