Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
London , UK
Cooker Extract fan and hood? Should there be one?

On my 66 caravel should there be a hood and an extract fan above the cooker? There is a flap with a chain in the overhead cupboard. Cannot see any electical supply or switch for a fan- was it an option?

Any ideas.
Thx guys
Eddie Cross
'66 Caravel in the UK
eddiecross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to air66caravel
Must have been an option. My 66 Caravel had the same setup. Hood with a flapper on a chain and mesh screen but no fan, nor wiring in place for one.
air66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
London , UK
Cooker extract

Hi,
Mine has no mesh screen and I have a bit of chain in the cupboard but no idea what it fixes to, to keep open. if you have any time would you mind just sending an image or two of these so I know how to fix mine up. No hurry- we have lots of other stuff to do.

Happy to help if you need anything too.

Regards
Eddie
Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Ah, now it makes sense to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiecross View Post
Hi,
Mine has no mesh screen and I have a bit of chain in the cupboard but no idea what it fixes to, to keep open. if you have any time would you mind just sending an image or two of these so I know how to fix mine up.
Eddie
Hi Eddie,

I was also wondering where my fan was, because I do have wires in my cabinet! There appears to be a hole in the hood with a "plastic button plug" and most likely related to the one in the side of the housing (in the cabinet) where the fan and motor would (??) have been. I think it was for the switch. I don't think I ever had a fan mounted either, but the wiring is in place for it. Go figure why some are different.

I'm pretty sure the chain in the cabinet is suppose to be longer and extend down through the keyhole shaped hole. It is designed to keep the flap closed when the vent is not needed (pull down on the chain and slide it into the narrow area of the slot to hold it in place).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove Vent Cabinet Viewl abeled.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	88356 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hey where's the Fan Labeled.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	88357]

Since none of you have a fan, and it seems it was an optional feature, I am not going to waste any more time and resources trying to find a replacement for mine. I plan on replacing the trailer's ceiling vent with a Fantastic Fan anyway, and that should take care of any cooking mishaps. I will however do something about the hood's deplorable appearance and I am thinking of using this product on the exposed area http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/index2.html . Certainly not an original look! But with such limited storage space in the kitchen I'm thinking of optimizing by using some magnetic options.

First, I need to worry about my entire kitchen falling through the rotted floor before I take on the hood!
TAC # Ny-6
MTnestRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
I meant to include this photo in the previous post. This is the filter, or so what is left of it. It literally fell apart as I removed it. The white plastic grid is just a flimsy support for a very thin piece of common grey/black foam.

I plan to replace it with a like-size, metal mesh filter that I see available for over the range hoods. I will cut it down to size and inset it in the frame I have (ditching the white grid piece altogether).

Since you do not have a frame, and were you to do the same, I wonder that you couldn't preserve the frame when cutting the mesh down, and then just refold it up around the two cut sides of the mesh. Seems to work in my head, not sure in practice. Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Filter.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	88367
TAC # Ny-6
MTnestRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
London , UK
Hood & Extract

That's really useful- The metal hood part is missing and I just have a piece of white faced hardboard in this area. That's enough detail so I can fabricate replacement from steel or stainless.

Many thanks guys.
All the best
Eddie & Miranda
66 caravel
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I also have a 67 caravelle. Mine has a fan and a small sqaure filter for grease I imagine.
Sherri
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Anybody else have the turqoise colored end cap in the bath/shower??
A very 60's color. Was it original?
Sherri
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote