Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1952-1960 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Ebay Trailer 1957 Caravanner

If I didn't have one apart in the drive I would get this and do the full monty. At least in the pictures the skin looks intact.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50063
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #2

Just picked her up

Over59, Hi, I just picked up the one you mentioned. She is now in NY and working her way to Florida this winter
58Caravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Tells us all about the trailer. Did you tow it home from MI. I've always liked this size unit and all those windows. You'll find lots of ideas on the forum.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
That's why we have no vintage units here in New York.....all the ones that make it here...go to Florida!
Congrats on the new trailer!
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Did I mention you'd better get started on that floor?
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congrats on your new-to-you trailer. That is truly a beauty and has tons of potential. The floor looks to be your biggest challenge. Welcome to the forums and vintage Airstreaming. This is the place to be.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
If you have the time, space, skill and money then don't fool around with "patches". Go for it. Take a couple hundred pictures before you do anything and as you go along to remember how it all fits together. The insides come out easily once you find the few screw and rivets holding the stuff in, you shouldn't have to cut or break anything except some wires. Save everything until you are finished for possible reuse or patterns or to remember how it goes together. It is easier to remove the shell, fix the frame, and put on a new floor then to try to replace the floor in pieces. It is also way easier to take off the floor if the shell is out of the way. Also cut the new floor with the old one in place as a template before you take it off. Learned this OTJ also. You really need to get a good hammer tapping look at that frame, repair and mod it and likly a new axel with full wheel setups. This will be an expensive project, but you will have the finest $ 10,000 AS around and it will be good for another 50 years. Start your own thread and post what you are about to do and what you have done. Folk will jump in with their own lessons learned. There are those that do it and those that talk about it. Welcome to the other side.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
.....find the few screw and rivets holding the stuff in.... Welcome to the other side.
59, you're killin' me! But he is exactly right. It's a bunch of work, but extremely satisfying and rewarding along the way. And he's exactly right, those of us that have them in various stages of repair all over our backyards/garages/patios/etc do live on the other side. When I first started the 'Monty, I thought I must be nuts, but as time (and refurbishment) goes on, it's turned out to be a great experience. Good Luck!

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:22 AM   #9

all the advice

Hi, Over59, that is exactly the plan I had in mind. Remove everything and the floor does need to be replaced. Then I am using the old as the patterns for new.

As far as my Florida comment, the plan is to work on it there this winter, and eventually have her(Cara) in Maine for the summers. At least for the first few years and then see what happens.

The first item I am working on is the door. It had the door knob style. It works like a regular door, except it has a bold in it. I was going to talk with the local locksmith to see what they could come up with. I found Weiser doorknob and it was only brass or antique brass. Not really what I wanted. I also need a hinge on the screen door. I have one, but need the second one.

So if anyone has advice, please pass it on, and I will start a thread when I begin... I was also going to put a web site up with all the updated pics as I go along.

thanks for all the help!
58Caravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Don't throw anything away until you are finished. There is some nice woodwork in that which may refinish real pretty. Good Luck. Hope is works out for you.

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner