Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

'61 Overlander furnace cover

I am in need of an external furnace cover for my 1961 Overlander. A member sent me a private message saying he had one but due to the system crash this last few weeks it was lost. Since I was a relatively new member my database and messages were lost. Any leads would be appreciated. Mike
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I am currently stripping a 61 Overlander and do not plan to restore it as original.If you can email me a photo of the part you need I can probably send you one.
greg176@vcn.bc.ca
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I want an original water heater cover too although I have a modern 10 gallon Suburban. I'd like to mate the two together so the trailer looks original. Anyone out there have one?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Well, I do, but...

I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for you Brad. I'm sure there are folks out there who have them and don't need them.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
I've got one off my 1966 that I might not re-use. Post a picture or some measurements of what you need.

NUTZ
Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat455 View Post
I am in need of an external furnace cover for my 1961 Overlander. A member sent me a private message saying he had one but due to the system crash this last few weeks it was lost. Since I was a relatively new member my database and messages were lost. Any leads would be appreciated. Mike
If your fuenace was made by International Oil Burner, please be advised that they "love" to explode, since the burner falls apart internally.

It is highly recommended that all of those furnaces, be scraped.

Parts have not been available for them for over 30 years, because of the liabilty.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
If your fuenace was made by International Oil Burner, please be advised that they "love" to explode, since the burner falls apart internally.

Parts have not been available for them for over 30 years, because of the liabilty.

Andy
Andy, the furnace in Marcus' trailer had a similar effect, the flames were outside the trailer. I let him know not to use it.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes, and thanks for the warning Terry. I'm planning on pulling it out and patching the skin, but I'll leave the diffuser on because it looks so darn cool.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Yes, and thanks for the warning Terry. I'm planning on pulling it out and patching the skin, but I'll leave the diffuser on because it looks so darn cool.
We nearly lost the cover a few miles from where we picked up the trailer, the attaching screws were old, and rusted off. I noticed the cover blowing in the wind, and stopped at a rest area to reattach it.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We nearly lost the cover a few miles from where we picked up the trailer, the attaching screws were old, and rusted off. I noticed the cover blowing in the wind, and stopped at a rest area to reattach it.
Heh! Thanks, it's good to hear these tidbits, one of the great benefits of buying a trailer from inside "The Family."

And of course I'm REALLY glad you were able to keep it, otherwise I wouldn't have it right now. It's a cool design with its "twin towers"-- it looks very different than most other heat diffusers I've seen for either furnaces or water heaters.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Andy, the furnace in Marcus' trailer had a similar effect, the flames were outside the trailer. I let him know not to use it.
Wow, all this time I thought that was a factory option with the International Land Yacht model for marshmallows & hot dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Andy,

I ended up purchasing the AS that Wildcat455 (later changed his name to 61Overlander, this thread was started 5 years ago) owned and after reading all your warnings about the International Oil Burner furnaces, I never tried to light it. Thank you for this information and all the information that you have provided on the forums. I was scared to use it for a boat anchor.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Aluminutz ~

Here's a couple pix of my water heater cover. It lacks class, style and any semblance of character. For a reference of size, the removable door part is 15 1/2" x x15 1/2." I'm hoping to find an aluminum one that would polish up nicely and either replace this cover or retrofit this cover after it gets repainted of course. I love the classic lines and looks of the old vintage covers.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHcover.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	65650   Click image for larger version

Name:	WHcoverCU.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	65651  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I want an original water heater cover too although I have a modern 10 gallon Suburban. I'd like to mate the two together so the trailer looks original. Anyone out there have one?

Brad
FF
Whoops! I saw furnace cover in your post but missed the "10 gal Suburban" part. What I have is a cover for the forced air heater (furnace). Sorry!
NUTZ
Attached Images

Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Old thread, but there's one on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1179
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote