Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1955 - 1959 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #21
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
here ya go. they look like the wheels on the new airstreams... i got the aluminum MODs. i don't think they'd look right on an older trailer with window gutters. our trade wind looks like a new one to the uneducated. their price on tires seemed to be pretty good, too though.

here's the link for those interested:

http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com...l_assembly.htm

they might be able to special order whatever you're looking for, though.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Registration...

Something I had forgotten about until reading SilverSurfers thread on the savage scam (WAM) -- this trailer has been sitting in a park for years, and I highly doubt it has been registered in recent memory.

Some you old pros should have experience with this - how hard will it be to get a temp tag between now and Weds?

Sean
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Kind of screwy in NY

In NY, you have to tow it (unregistered) to a weigh center with scales to get a weight before they will do anything. Then, you have to pencil trace the serial number tag, then print out a form for the previous owner to fill out, and they will then register it for you.

Does the owner have title? If so, that makes it easier, if the title has a weight on it.

GA and FL may be different.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:35 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
In NY, you have to tow it (unregistered) to a weigh center with scales to get a weight before they will do anything. Then, you have to pencil trace the serial number tag, then print out a form for the previous owner to fill out, and they will then register it for you.

Does the owner have title? If so, that makes it easier, if the title has a weight on it.

GA and FL may be different.
Yes they have the title, but (since they acquired this thru a real estate deal) they had the previous owner sign the back of the title for transfer and left it blank for me to sign once I take possession -- guess I need to have the wife do some phone work today... it's never easy is it?
Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 AM   #25
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i don't think you need a title in georgia, just a bill of sale for trailers this old, anyway. living in the south has it's advantages! ha!

as far as tags are concerned, one of my buddies has been towing his airstreamfor years without a tag. just keep the bill of sale on ya.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 11-03-2006, 06:10 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
i don't think you need a title in georgia, just a bill of sale for trailers this old, anyway. living in the south has it's advantages! ha!

as far as tags are concerned, one of my buddies has been towing his airstreamfor years without a tag. just keep the bill of sale on ya.

jp
LOL, I love that answer -- also I've heard my military ID may get me a little consideration down here if I do atract any unwanted attention...
Old 11-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Ok, 15x6 I understand, but what's with these choices?

313 Series Smoothie Chrome Wheel
Size: 15'' x 6''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2'', 4-3/4''
Rear Spacing: 3-3/4''

Bolt Circle: 5 x 5'', 5-1/2''

I mean, I realize that one of us has to defend the homeland and the other has to go shopping, but jeez....

(don't even get me STARTED on the permutations of TIRES out there!)

Bridget
Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by asta2
Yes they have the title, but (since they acquired this thru a real estate deal) they had the previous owner sign the back of the title for transfer and left it blank for me to sign once I take possession -- guess I need to have the wife do some phone work today... it's never easy is it?
You can go to the local Pinellas County tax collector's office, and they will give you a temp. tag, and a title in your name (for a fee, of course).
Old 11-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Ok, 15x6 I understand, but what's with these choices?

I mean, I realize that one of us has to defend the homeland and the other has to go shopping, but jeez....

(don't even get me STARTED on the permutations of TIRES out there!)

Bridget
You should need 15x6, 6x5 1/2" pattern for six lug wheels. Offset should be zero.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #30
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:

you need a 6 lug wheel, don't you? all my trailers have 6 lugs. that 5 X 4 1/2 means 5 bolts on a 4 1/2" center. the bigggest problem with getting wheels is getting them witht he 6 lugs, NOT 5. see if the smoothie is available that way. it might be a struggle. double check too that they are indeed 6 luggers.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 11-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
you need a 6 lug wheel, don't you? all my trailers have 6 lugs. that 5 X 4 1/2 means 5 bolts on a 4 1/2" center. the bigggest problem with getting wheels is getting them witht he 6 lugs, NOT 5. see if the smoothie is available that way. it might be a struggle. double check too that they are indeed 6 luggers.

jp
My 1954 Liner originally had 5 lug wheels, which I replaced with 6 lug when I replaced the axles.

Need Rob's input on this.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
I think you need this

What are on it now?

The wheels should be 6 on 5 1/2 with a 3 1/2" back space

Again, have the current owner read what is on there and take a hub cap and count the studs on the current hub?

My SOTR has 14.5 in tires...

Hope this helps.
Courtesy parking

Old 11-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Update

I called the shop where it's being serviced tonight after Bridget's adventures in wheel shopping today - It has six studs BTW. The shop that's servicing it has offered to order the rims/wheels and install them before I arrive, which sounds pretty good to me. Originally he offered to put new rims and tires on for $122 per - I asked him to try and find rims that look like the original splits. I should have an answer by Monday.

So far they have replace the yoke and put a new jack on it, he said that the axles and brake service will be completed well before I show up -- the only thing that could hold things up is the arrival of the wheels.

The tag issue is resolved also, Idaho is once again taking care of us. However, we will be traveling on the bill of sale for the trip to Atlanta.

Sean
Old 11-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
OK, so I leave tomorrow to pick her up. Wiring was a complete lose no lights or brakes, but the bearing are service and the axles are reportedly good for the trip home - new rims and rubber mounted. I've got a misc tool bag packed (to include aluminium tape, wire ties, tools, more tools, etc...). Any last minute advice?

Sean
Old 11-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
OK, so I leave tomorrow to pick her up. Wiring was a complete lose no lights or brakes, but the bearing are service and the axles are reportedly good for the trip home - new rims and rubber mounted. I've got a misc tool bag packed (to include aluminium tape, wire ties, tools, more tools, etc...). Any last minute advice?

Sean
Sean,

Good luck to you and please report back.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Sean
Sean, you are bringing a set of temporary taillights with you, aren't you? When you get the trailer out of where it is, stop before you get on Gandy Blvd (the big road heading to the Interstate) and check everything. Make sure the lights are still attached and working, and the tires and all parts of the trailer are still with you. Then stop again before you get on the big bridge to get to Tampa (Howard Frankland), and do the same thing again. When you get through Tampa, if you are going North on I 75, there is a rest area just North of where I 275 merges with I 75. Stop there again, and check everything over. There is another rest area near Webster, stop and once again check. If you are heading out I 4, you can stop at the exit for Bates RV, and perform the same checks. There is a rest area just East of Lakeland, you can stop and check there.
By that time, if everything is still following you in more or less one piece, it will probably continue to do so for the duration of your trip. Have a safe trip, and don't forget to take lots of pictures.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
I go next weekend, may this one....

If I can convince my wife on going this weeknd...

Another 58 for me too!

http://sweetsovereign.blogspot.com/

Go luck! Got SAFETY CHAINS? Rope? tape those magbetic lights on with the tape!!
Courtesy parking

Old 11-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Sean, you are bringing a set of temporary taillights with you, aren't you? When you get the trailer out of where it is, stop before you get on Gandy Blvd (the big road heading to the Interstate) and check everything. Make sure the lights are still attached and working, and the tires and all parts of the trailer are still with you. Then stop again before you get on the big bridge to get to Tampa (Howard Frankland), and do the same thing again. When you get through Tampa, if you are going North on I 75, there is a rest area just North of where I 275 merges with I 75. Stop there again, and check everything over. There is another rest area near Webster, stop and once again check. If you are heading out I 4, you can stop at the exit for Bates RV, and perform the same checks. There is a rest area just East of Lakeland, you can stop and check there.
By that time, if everything is still following you in more or less one piece, it will probably continue to do so for the duration of your trip. Have a safe trip, and don't forget to take lots of pictures.
Terry, Yes I'm bringing the lights, and yes Rob I'm tieing the door to the frame. Thanks for the advice on the checks - digital camera is going along also...
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
...and safety chains were put on the trailer this week also
Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Man can't you share a few with someone else? Actually just kidding.

This one was just up the road a piece from me. I actually talked to the owner about it, but for some reason I couldn't get excited about it - I guess it was because of the gutted bathroom and missing fridge. Anyway, I was busy and never had the time to take a look in person. It did look like a nice trailer from the photo's. I assume you are aware the seller patched the floor near the door before he sold it. Good luck with it.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, sovereign