Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #1

1999 34' Excella
kitchener , Ontario
Send a message via MSN to edandgraeme1
Airstream Twin Mattress

we have just bought our third AS 34' Excella, what we want to do is make the twin beds into one huge mattress, by inserting a board between the twins, then laying foam to bridge the difference, then a memory foam topper across the whole bed.

what we would like to know is what is the height of the foam and if anyone knows what the density of the mattress is , if it is indeed foam

we do not take delivery of the unit until march, in storage
edandgraeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I don't know the answer to your question, but I've seen this done on a 25 footer. Those folks actually went to a mattress manufacturer and had a special mattress made for the area.

I often wondered how much fun it would be to make that bed.

Please tell us you will send a video of that.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with that mattress thing.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Been there - done that...sort of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
...I often wondered how much fun it would be to make that bed...
See this thread for a "full size" bed:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f219...ign-14737.html

The daily making of the bed is quite a valid point...Mary and I have gone back to the original twin bed configuration.

In addition to the making up difficulties, it proved to be extremely difficult to exit the bedroom with only the hallway being accessed. Prior to going back to the twin configuration I brought the bedline rearward about 6" from the original bulkhead walls. This helped the entrance/egress problem a lot, but we were still left with the making up the bed problem.

When I started the bedroom reconfigure I installed an east-west Queen sleep number air matress. To me, the bed was extremely comfortable, we filled in the area that was not covered by the Queen size mattress with a good grade of foam and covered the whole thing with a full piece of 2" memory foam.

Mary decided the comfort issues of an East-West "full sized" bed were overshadowed by the entrance and egress issues as well as the making up problems....so we went back to the original twins.

I find the original mattresses confining as far as a good sleep goes, and not extremly comfortable (only acceptable). The current plan is to try a North/South Queen installation.

I have studied several Forum members bedroom makeovers, and found that most stole a few inches from one bulkhead or another to make the egress/entrance to the bedroom a bit easier. The mid bath cannot be easily modified, so to make the bedroom entrance more acceptable I would be looking at shorteneng the closet area...something I really do not want to do.

Current plan is to install the North/South Queen (Sleep Number Bed) without any additional bulkhead modification, try it for a while, and keep an open mind about any future modifications.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #4

1999 34' Excella
kitchener , Ontario
thanks guys, but does anyonw know the depth of the mattress that is standard made by AS of r twin beds, could someone measure there's for us
thanls

i love this forum
Old 11-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
my mattress is 7" thick rib to rib. it puffs up about an inch above the rib.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #6

1999 34' Excella
kitchener , Ontario
thanks , winter will go fast in ontario, withthe expected delivery the trailer in march, then we willl start the retro fit, we will also be changing out some of the lights for hallogens, any input

again thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the halogens get hot. i'd go with leds because they are cool and consume less power.

there is a member here that sells leds and is very familiar with airstreams.
Airstream Forums - View Profile: Dan@LED4RV

there are many threads here on leds.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote