Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Liner > 1947-1949 Liner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
roxboro , North Carolina
1948 Liner VIN#1174

For 30 years(my whole life) I have gazed at this camper beside my parents home and always thought it was so cool! I finally got my hands on it and I'm so excited! I only wish I was in better financial shape to go ahead with the restoration. I knew the lady very well that used this as her kitchen. The body is in near perfect condition. The frame appears to be very solid. The axle is there but no wheels. Original glass is intact all the way around with no cracks although the glass directly beside the addition is painted. The door was removed and placed beside the Liner at the time of the addition. It still has the original screen and the inner door. No damage was done to the unit when they built around it. The interior has been removed besides the cabinets on the wall. All top vents are intake and appear to be original. I will be posting more pics after I remove it from it's resting place. Hope everyone enjoys!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4457.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	191592   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4456.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	191593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4455.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	191594   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4461.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	191595  

streamit96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You give me hope that there is, out there, that one special treasure for me.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It looks like the lean to roof will have to be disassembled from over the trailer in order to raise it enough for tires and wheels to be installed. That unit will be a real project to bring it back close to original.

There are a lot of restorers on the forum that can share their experiences with you so you are not left wandering around clueless.

Great family heirloom.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Very cool!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
It looks like the lean to roof will have to be disassembled from over the trailer in order to raise it enough for tires and wheels to be installed. That unit will be a real project to bring it back close to original.

There are a lot of restorers on the forum that can share their experiences with you so you are not left wandering around clueless.

Great family heirloom.
Doesn't look like it's on concrete. Could also dig away from the areas that it isn't currently resting on, support the frame with jack stands, and then dig out below the axles to add wheels and tires.

Congrats on the purchase! It may be slow going, but I know you will one day have a great trailer as a reward!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
roxboro , North Carolina
Finding this forum is almost as good as finding the Liner! Everyone here has been so helpful.There seems to be some curiosity as to how I will remove it. When i acquired the Liner I was also given the building that surrounds it.therefore I will dismantle the shed over the unit first, remove the unit, and then demo the rest of the structure. I will try to salvage all the materials from the structure seeing as how my dogs need new shelters and all the material I need is there making it an even sweeter deal Now as far as lifting the unit, I would be open to all sudgestions as how to do this properly so as to not damage the unit. Also I was wondering if anyone knew the bolt pattern of this unit? Thanks everyone for your continued support!!
streamit96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1948 Liner VIN#1174

Greetings streamit96!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamit96 View Post
For 30 years(my whole life) I have gazed at this camper beside my parents home and always thought it was so cool! I finally got my hands on it and I'm so excited! I only wish I was in better financial shape to go ahead with the restoration. I knew the lady very well that used this as her kitchen. The body is in near perfect condition. The frame appears to be very solid. The axle is there but no wheels. Original glass is intact all the way around with no cracks although the glass directly beside the addition is painted. The door was removed and placed beside the Liner at the time of the addition. It still has the original screen and the inner door. No damage was done to the unit when they built around it. The interior has been removed besides the cabinets on the wall. All top vents are intake and appear to be original. I will be posting more pics after I remove it from it's resting place. Hope everyone enjoys!!
It looks like you have a good starting place for your restoration. There aren't many of these early pipe frame Airstreams left (refers to the round pipe that runs from the front to the rear of the trailer). I can't provide any insight into the best approach to jacking up the trailer, but as a pipe frame trailer its frame is quite different from the trailers that followed in the 1950s and subsequent years. All crossmembers attached to that center pipe, and this connection over time is where problems developed . . . when trying to pull this trailer out of its position it would be wise to carefully observe the pipe for any movement indicating that it isn't fully attached to the rest of the frame. It looks like the trailer is sitting on dirt and even with the roof covering, it is quite possible that enough moisture may have been drawn up around the trailer to rust the frame and cause issues.

I don't want to alarm you as there may be no problems . . . but please be aware of the potential for the problem with the pipe frame.

I will be looking forward to following your adventure with your 1948 Liner . . . the first one that I saw restored belonged to Bud Cooper, one of the Charter Members of the Vintage Airstream Club!

Good luck with your Liner!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
What a great find! Well I guess you've known about it for a long time but still, quite amazing! I thought I had found the holy grail with my 1953 Liner...this is even better I think Kevin is giving you some very sound advice and you should heed his suggestions. I'm working on a 1964 Overlander that sat in a field for 15 years uncovered and unoccupied. It wasn't moved for at least 20 years before I got it. It didn't take much to get it on the road but it was a bit of a chore. When we took it apart what was most amazing was how many animals had made the underside of it their home and how much damage they did in the process.

It looks from your photos that the front end is being supported along the edge by cinder blocks and hopefully the back is similarly supported. If so then at least there hasn't been direct contact with the soil...and that would leave the metals in much better condition.

I've worked exclusively with Frank Yensan, 62Overlander here on the Forum, he has a shop in Baltimore MD and has been involved in MANY restoration and rescue projects. Here is a link to his blog: http://annalumanum.blogspot.com/http....blogspot.com/
www.frankstrailerworks.com
I believe he knows these early trailers well as I've seen at least three similar trailers in his shop over the past three years. He's a great person and a tremendous resource, I'm sure he will be happy to give you good sound advice.

Being an architect I'd try my hardest to find a way to take the trailer out from under the shed first, rather than dismantle the shed first. I'd be afraid that the shed or a part of it falls on the Liner damaging its skin...which looks to be pristine.

Best of Luck on your amazing Liner!

Michael
57BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Indianola , Nebraska
Any idea which year they switched to the flat painted plate "airstream" emblem on the rear on the 22' liner?
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags