Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2022, 03:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Lake Norman , North Carolina
Can finally change “Currently Looking...” to

2023 22’ Flying Cloud!

We did the walk through and signed the paperwork yesterday.
I’m excited and nervous. Ok I’m just a bit terrified.
This is our first ever RV. Ever!
We will pick it up on Saturday, drive about 15 minutes and then camp overnight.
But it’s of course Labor Day weekend. So the only camping site I could get is basically on a parking lot that houses the really big rigs.
AND WE HAVE TO BACK INTO THE SPACE!

Did I mention that we are newbies and that it will be Labor Day weekend?
The one thing we have going for us is a deserted mall that is close to the camping ground. We plan to pull in there and practice.

Oh and the walkthrough we pretty well. We were overly confident we could handle the awning. We were wrong. Came home and watched a You Tube video and feel better.
The only problem with the trailer was a leak from the area of the toilet to the outside. They started fixing it yesterday. We will test it on Saturday.
And of course we will hook up the trailer to the truck for the first time. We have already started re-watching You Tube videos on hooking up.

I’m going to need lots of reassurance and maybe someone who is travel trailer experienced to follow us around and make sure we don’t screw things up.
DogMomDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Congrats and good luck. Be patient and do your learning in steps, it'll all come to you.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:17 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Alumalina here you go!
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
PLace your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. If you push it left, the back of the trailer will go left. If you push it right, the back of the trailer will go right. Slow, check often. Practice, practice. Congrats.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Congratulations and best wishes on the new trailer!!

Some free unsolicited backup tips that I have found useful for marital harmony:

- If possible, approach the spot in a double-S maneuver. You should aim to try and end up stopping with the trailer pointed more or less at a 45 degree angle into the spot, with the truck "bent" slightly more, to the drivers side, perhaps 60 degrees.

- Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Move your hand in the direction you want the REAR of the trailer to go.

- Go slow. No, slower than that.

- Try and back in from the drivers side of the spot, looking over your left shoulder.

- GOAL: If necessary, stop the truck, and "Get out and look."

- Carry Walkie-Talkies, and use them. Press, pause, speak.

- Agree on "sides" when giving/receiving directions. Use "More to the driver side!" not "More to the left!"

- Carry four or five small orange soccer cones. Before you back in, place the cones in a line, maybe 10-15' apart, down the approach line where you want the trailer to end up. These turn out to be incredibly useful in an otherwise unmarked spot.

- Listen ONLY to one person backing up. Trust them. Don't listen to "that guy" next spot over. He isn't going to pay for your RV if you dent it.

Good luck!
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Congrats and have fun!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
DMB, before long you'll be an Old Pro. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Congrats

well done taking the plunge. Easy does it and the experience will accumulate in time. Backing in can be helped if you both have a cell phone for communication between the driver and the "spotter" watching the rear. Wise choice to use the vacant mall for practice. Checklists help with camp-decamp. You'll get this!
Old 09-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Ohio
move slowly

we've all been where you will soon be. all good advice in previous responses. checklists available from many sources - use them without exception. then do a second inspection before moving SLOWLY, forward or backward. Make it fun and low stress. if you don't know, ask another camper. most will be helpful. keep us posted.
Spike
SpikePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Burlingame , California
Get this book. “Newbies guide to airstreaming”. Explains all the systems and lists.
Get this app. “Allstays”. Never stay in a parking lot again!
Good luck!
jaslocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:09 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Congratulations and welcome to Airstream RVing. All the above advise is good. To it I would suggest you get 4-6 small traffic cones to use as guides down the left side of you trailer. Place them where you want the left side of the trailer to go when backing. You will still need a rear spotter or get out and see how you are doing. Be sure the spotter looks up and around the area so you don't back into an unseen obstacle. Tree limbs will ruin your day. This is why a backup camera is so handy on the tow vehicle and the trailer. Good Luck!
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Thanks for the replies.
So this weekend pick up and camping experience is on hold.
The dealer is having to change out the black tank. It is leaking. Luckily found prior to us taking it and camping.
When they get the new black tank in and installed, we will try again. Maybe this time a pull through site.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
Congratulations!

Might want to start a checklist or 2. We use 3. 1)trailer list; (stored in trailer, used before each departure) Frig locked, toilet paper secure, fantastic fan closed, etc. 2)truck list; chairs, grill, chalks, levelers, etc. 3) groceries; I also include a house closing list; AC set, alarm set, garage locked, etc. on this list. I keep the list on my laptop & print them a few days before leaving.

Take deep breaths & enjoy your journey.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Our secret is to carry a nice bottle of wine and when the "old pro" comes over the help with your backing up...offer it to him! Some prefer Whiskey, some beer but we've never been left to struggle on our own. We've been trailering for 45 years, but apparently our somewhat loud disagreements about what a particular hand signal actually means are legendary. And, I must admit (being hand signal gal) sometimes the meaning is pretty clear!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Well I can’t change from the “currently looking” status until the mods add 2023 Flying Cloud 23’ to the options.
On Tuesday we picked her/him (still trying to come up with a name) and had our first towing/set up/camping/break down experience. After doing another brief walk thru and making sure there were 3 solar panels on the roof, they put on the blue ox hitch and we were off. With very little fanfare, except me insisting on the 750 bars and not the 550. And some grumbling from the equipment guy. I guess the dealership figured we were no longer that interesting since we had already paid for it.
We lucked into an abandoned shopping mall and practiced backing I up/in for about an hour and a half before heading to the campsite for our overnight. I had booked a site that the really big rigs parked figuring it should be easier to back into. There was no one there when we got there so very easy backing in. My husband had a list that we went religiously by to set up and we went to bed about 8:30.
The next morning we tried everything except the heat (furnace). And then we broke it all down, packed up and towed it to the storage place. It sounds really weird but I even got a slight thrill with the black tank emptying experience.
My husband did an excellent job driving even on the interstate. My truck towed like a champ. I am so glad that I researched that truck on this forum and other places and got one that could do the job.
Sorry about the length of this post.
We have another camping trip planned - two nights this time. In the meantime, we are planning to go practicing again.
I guess these old dogs did pretty good for being total newbies.
Thanks to everyone on here for all the advice so far.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:33 AM   #16
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Well I can’t change from the “currently looking” status until the mods add 2023 Flying Cloud 23’ to the options....
Use the "Contact Us" link in the blue bar at the very bottom of the page and send a note about this. This link goes directly to the people that can help with this problem.

In the meantime, you can add your rig information to your signature and it will show under all your posts. Select "User CP" from the blue bar menu under the masthead, and then choose "Edit Signature" from left-hand column.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
I guess these old dogs did pretty good for being total newbies.
Congrats! Sounds like you are doing it the right way.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:28 AM   #18
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Backing gets easier after a few tries. The awning is easy when you do it right, and makes one look stupid when you don't. After several years with my AS, I still keep the awning video on my computer. It helps to watch it again...
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Be sure you put the awning out properly. If not, you can bend the awning support arms and they have to be replaced before you can retract the awning. A friend told me.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Be sure you put the awning out properly. If not, you can bend the awning support arms and they have to be replaced before you can retract the awning. A friend told me.
We only ever pull the awning out partway. We do not extend the lower arms. It doesn't make the shaded area much different and seems more stable to me.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote